What's new

Holy Mole'

Mole is an all day commitment, both to finding some of the spices and chiles, and to the actual preparation. I am a huge fan of the green pumpkin seed mole you can find in the Yucatan region. There, the traditional meats are turkey and venison. Those enchiladas look fantastic, Aaron.

I had turkey in pepita mole at the finest restaurant in Meridà in the Yucatan. This may have started as peasant food, but it is treated as haute cuisine.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I changed my mind. We made shredded chicken mole' chalupa's tonight instead of enchiladas. The corn tortillas were fresh from the taqueria. We fried them to a crispy crunch. First layer was refried bean, then chicken, mole', sautéed onion and sweet bell peppers, followed up with, Mexican cheese blend and cojita cheese. Cilantro garnish.

$image.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
More Mole' recipes. This is a beef mole' enchilada. The beef was browned with a dice of garlic, onion and sweet bell pepper. Seasoned with a pinch of each of cumin, Mexican oregano, New Mexican chili powder and S&P. Sliced habanero on top.

Mole is very versatile. You can make it sweet or spicy or both. Mine is more sweet, but I have an arsenal of hot sauces that could change that in a second.

$IMG_0854.jpg$IMG_0855.jpg

Next up will be Mole' sloppy Joe's.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The wife texted me right before noon and said, "I'm getting off at 12 noon. Let's go to lunch." I asked her where. She said, "Mexican." She spoke the magic word.

Chicken mole enchiladas. Sweeter than mine but very similar flavor.
$IMG_0987.jpg

3 hot sauces, chips, XX cerveza
$IMG_0986.jpg

Senorita's company
View attachment 573314

This is interesting.
$IMG_0988.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Chicken mole enchiladas and beef taco for lunch out with the wife.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 29

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Had lunch at Pulidos with the wife.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 22
I'm glad the mole verde (the pumpkin-seed kind) was mentioned. I had it in the Yucatán too, loved it, and bought the Doña María jar in a Hispanic store when I got back to New York City. I got a curious look from the clerk, who asked me, "Do you really want this?" (as if I didn't know what it was). I assured her that I did.

Top Bottom