What's new

Gold Dollar Straight for a newbie

So after seeing that straights are more forgiving then shavettes I'm thinking about picking up a gold dollar off ebay seeing as they are not too expensive. Will they be good enough for learning how to shave with a straight? I eventually want to get a vintage straight but money is tight right now. Thanks guys.

Do not buy a GD off of ebay. GD's require a talented hinemeister to transfom them from a razor-shaped object into a true shaving razor. Check the hobbyist boards here as there are several members who can help you at a very reasonable price.

Good luck.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Gold Dollar razors, once properly honed, are a great 1st razor.

Make sure the razor you purchase, regardless of the brand, has been honed and is truly shave ready.

So after seeing that straights are more forgiving then shavettes I'm thinking about picking up a gold dollar off ebay seeing as they are not too expensive. Will they be good enough for learning how to shave with a straight? I eventually want to get a vintage straight but money is tight right now. Thanks guys.
Frank Misa is your man!,30 bucks to your door !,, great great GD Razors!, with a smooth sharp edge!, message him on facebook!,bill

Frank Misa is your man!,30 bucks to your door !,, great great GD Razors!, with a smooth sharp edge!, message him on facebook!,bill

+1...I ordered two from him yesterday....he's got a deal going on now that includes a free strop with the purchase of 2 GD's...a nice guy to deal with as well!

Sent him a message guys. Will let you know how it goes I only have a $40 dollar budget so who knows what I can get.

I think whipped dog is the perfect choice for a first razor. You get a razor for around 40 and you know it's coming as sharp as can be. Get a whipped dog. I have both, whipped dogs and gold dollars. I dont like anyone honing my blades anyways. I know what I like and I like to hone my own. Larry at WD, will do a good job though. The other problem with gold dollars is if you can't hone yourself, alot of places will not touch them because they are so screwed up from the factory. They take alot more time than the average straight. Also remember, the hardest part about switching to straight razors is figuring out where to get rid of all your DE razors. Enjoy!

IMO if someone refuses to hone a GD, I wouldnt let them hone any of my other razors either! I dont see what the big deal is at all. 6 minutes out of the box! And touchups are the same time imo as any other razor. Double stabilizer may need more work trimming the heel but most are single.

IMO if someone refuses to hone a GD, I wouldnt let them hone any of my other razors either! I dont see what the big deal is at all. 6 minutes out of the box! And touchups are the same time imo as any other razor. Double stabilizer may need more work trimming the heel but most are single.

Would you recommend a GD? They seem to get a lot of hate lol.

Its such nonsense really. I consider all razors the same for useability. They all shave! The foolishness is when people say they dont which is false. Its a great razor for a noob as they are, some guys do really nice mods to them like Seraphim among others.

Its such nonsense really. I consider all razors the same for useability. They all shave! The foolishness is when people say they dont which is false. Its a great razor for a noob as they are, some guys do really nice mods to them like Seraphim among others.
yes !
Here a Seraphim's sea horse free re-interpretation ...beautiful in all aspects.
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Not around here they don't. That happens in that other forum/store front. Properly honed, a GD will shave as good as any other properly honed razor.

+1000 - While I *personally* like vintage razors that's purely a matter of taste and what I like. I have gotten simply fantastic shaves of of a GD, properly honed. They get a bad rep when they are not properly honed. They have good heft, a nice friendly round point, and
if you mess it up you're not heartbroken :)

I might disagree with Buca a little bit though - *HE* can get one ready in 6 minutes out of box.. I know *I* am not that talented - I swear at 'em a little bit - but they get there, and this is strictly an issue of the challenge of initially honing them. it is *NOT* a problem once the razor is brought to a shave ready state, and at any time after.

Top Bottom