What's new

Advice for our newer members.

Here is a little advice I have learned in the past 9 months or so of wetshaving.

1. You will know pretty quickly what works for you.

If a blade soap or razor pulls or feels uncomfortable just pull it and replace it. Blades are cheap and life is too short to try and get a good shave out of a lousy blade or soap ect... I knew my thin head single ring and Gillette rubie's were right for me on the first pass.

2. Work on your technique.

I know first hand how RAD can have you changing razors, blades or soaps on a daily basis. After a while when your RAD calms down a little take a month and just use one razor, soap and blade. Work on your technique.

3. Try again. After you have worked on your technique and you want to. Go back and revisit razors, blades, and soaps you did not like before. They MAY give you a better shave, but only if you want to. Some products are just BAD (for you)
This is especially true with blade samplers.

4. You don't need a BBS. For most of us, we can get away with a two or one pass shave on a daily basis. I have trouble one the left side of my neck. I will never get a BBS there only blood. :)

5. Have fun with it. If you like switching razors, blades, brushes, and soaps then do it. Don't let someone tell you any different. Only when the hobby starts affecting your life in negative ways should you seek help. It's OK to think and dream about wetshaving.

6. Try to get in on a Pass-A-Round box. Its a great chance to try out many different products for a little money outlay compared to buying and trying each item

I've bought around 10 razors, a liftime worth of blades (guessing 650-700), have around 10 brushes and a drawer full of soaps in a few months time..... it was fun messing around with all the goodies but around 2 weeks ago i decided to use one razor, one blade brand, one soap & one brush for a month. the only thing i change is aftershave. So picked a 1940's thick handle Gillette Tech, Polsiver SI blades, CRSW American Barber Shop & 10049 Omega Boar brush.. I've got a lot more aggressive razors but after the two week i've been getting the best shaves ever and have another two weeks to only worry about technique & what aftershave to put on....

This advice is solid. I'm on #2 right now. My AD has calmed down and I'm sticking with one set in order to hone my technique.

#3 - Absolutely revisit the things you didn't like to begin with. When starting its very hard to judge anything properly until technique improves, and changing too many variables at once can negatively impact the learning process (which I can testify to...). Try to establish a baseline setup and process to compare to, then start experimenting with new blades, soaps, etc.

Great post and good advice!

#3 - Absolutely revisit the things you didn't like to begin with. When starting its very hard to judge anything properly until technique improves, and changing too many variables at once can negatively impact the learning process (which I can testify to...). Try to establish a baseline setup and process to compare to, then start experimenting with new blades, soaps, etc.

Great post and good advice!

+100
I've gone back to razors that bit and blades that tugged and they are great now.
that being said, I've also picked up my favorite razor and blade and soap and gotten bitten and/or burned.
so many things go into a good shave.

I'd like to add Journaling your shaves... man I wish I had done that... I think it could help to look back on.
yay for newbies!!! We all started there (and compared to some here, I still am)

Excellent advice. I especially like #4 - don't try for the BBS. A good CCS or DFS is all you really need. ANd, it will cut down on the irritation and misery that a lot of newbies get and end up discouraged with wet shaving.

Top Bottom