What's new

Grandfathers Old Razors - Pics

I ask my grandmother if my grandfather had any old razors last time she was in town and I would like them if he did. I didn't think he did since I only remember him using an electric razor. Maybe that's what he traveled with. She said she would take a look. I never thought she would show up with a bag full! Even an old case! Every one of them had an old used Gillette blade inside. They all need a good cleaning and are soaking right now. My collection just got a lot bigger, the SWMBO is going to be pissed LOL.

I got so excited when I saw the black beauty. Always wanted one.

$20150401_134515_resized.jpg$20150401_134524_resized.jpg$20150401_134616_resized.jpg$20150401_134625_resized.jpg

Nice! My grandfather's razor (passed to me from my father) is what got me in to this whole wet shaving quagmire. Now this has me thinking I should call up my other grandfather.....you know, to say hi....

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That's really something! Thanks for sharing.

He kept trying out the newest Gillette -- neat.

Very cool and thanks for sharing!

There's an old razor in my family my grandfather used and my father has in storage. When I was a kid growing up I remember seeing it, but memories are only that it was "just an old razor". I'm visiting the family in a few weeks and intend to take a closer look at when I get there. My grandfather lived from 1887 to 1965 so whatever it is will be old school for sure.

Looks like your grandfather had an early case of RAD.
It seems that my grandfather had RAD before it was cool, too. He had a few DEs, maybe an SE and a straight (complete with stone and hone). I live out of state, and almost never make it home...when my folks have been up since I caught this bug, they have forgotten them and I don't want to push the issue--but would love to shave with them.

Awesome of Grandma to send them to you. They look very nice and to have them have that connection to your Grandfather makes them even more special.

My wife would love this - and would not be PO'd as I would likely buy less vintage razors. In reality - probably would just get extra brushes or soaps.

Congratulations on the new additions to your Den.

Very cool! :thumbup:

What are the years on them?

Black Beauty - 1973
Super Speed flare tip - 1959 (E, 1)
Slim Adj 1 - 1962
Slim Adj 2 - 1962
Super Speed - 1948 - 1950 (does have the notch, no date codes) Thanks everyone for your helping identifying the date.
Sensor - Meh

That's really something! Thanks for sharing.

He kept trying out the newest Gillette -- neat.

I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. Notice it stopped after the Sensor! Maybe that's why he went to electric. :scared:

Looks like your grandfather had an early case of RAD.

I inherited the RAD too.

Awesome of Grandma to send them to you. They look very nice and to have them have that connection to your Grandfather makes them even more special.

My wife would love this - and would not be PO'd as I would likely buy less vintage razors. In reality - probably would just get extra brushes or soaps.

Congratulations on the new additions to your Den.

In her defense I have been acquiring razors off the bay and there is another one coming tomorrow that I won before getting these. Plus, creams and brushes. As long as they stay under my sink I don't think she really cares other than I may seem like a crazy person buying so much shaving stuff. I'm "allowed" to have one razor and one brush on the counter. :shocked:

Some pics after the first clean up. Just used dish soap with Oxy and a toothbrush. I'll need to get a tooth pick or something to clean in the hard to reach areas.

Anyone have a tip to get rid of the water spots? I dried them immediately, so I think the spots are from shaving cream that was on them for years.

$20150402_224241_resized.jpg$20150402_224525_resized.jpg$20150402_224608_resized.jpg$20150402_224745_resized.jpg$20150402_224924_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom