What's new

cast iron seasoning

Educate me on what I'm doing wrong guys.

I have a newer Lodge pan that I'm trying to season as it has an incredibly rough surface.

Washed pan, took Crisco (what I had on hand) and maybe used a teaspoon over the entire pan so that there was no thick build up or goop anywhere. Put the pan in the oven upside down on 325F for an hour and let cool. Surface was kind of sticky (finger prints were left where touched), but looked as it should have. The next day, I repeated the process exactly except I didn't add any more to the bottom of the pan, so I used a bit less Crisco the second day.

Now the pan, is very sticky and has visible build up of goop on the rim of the pan and in the bottom where it obviously dripped off while hot.

What should my next steps be? Wash with soap and start over with vegetable oil instead? Can get pics tonight if you need them.

Educate me on what I'm doing wrong guys.

I have a newer Lodge pan that I'm trying to season as it has an incredibly rough surface.

Washed pan, took Crisco (what I had on hand) and maybe used a teaspoon over the entire pan so that there was no thick build up or goop anywhere. Put the pan in the oven upside down on 325F for an hour and let cool. Surface was kind of sticky (finger prints were left where touched), but looked as it should have. The next day, I repeated the process exactly except I didn't add any more to the bottom of the pan, so I used a bit less Crisco the second day.

Now the pan, is very sticky and has visible build up of goop on the rim of the pan and in the bottom where it obviously dripped off while hot.

What should my next steps be? Wash with soap and start over with vegetable oil instead? Can get pics tonight if you need them.

Sounds like you used too much. I'd just heat it up on the burner till smoking and let cool and wipe down. See if that helps.

I agree. I think you have too much Crisco in it.

I haven't "seasoned" a cast iron from scratch in a long time. But when I did, I put the pan in the oven and baked it at 350. Then when it was nice and hot (about 1/2 hr); I would wipe it with a paper towel and a little shortening, just enough to have a thin coat, then when it was cool enough to touch, I would use a clean paper towel and wipe it clean.

Did this a couple of times, then started using the pan to cook.

To "wash" between uses, I would mix salt and water into a paste and wipe it out until I got all the bits loose, then rinse under running water. Then heat up the pan, until it was dry and wipe it with a touch of shortening and a paper towel.

I can't say if it's the "proper" way of doing it, but my cast iron's are slicker then non-stick after years of use and using that procedure above.

Good luck, I hope it helps.

Whenever we got a new piece of cast iron in my Boy Scout Troop the way we seasoned it was by using it. Make some nice and greasy meals in it, and try not to think about it or use soap to wash it. Worked for us.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't know that you're heating it up enough. I crank my oven up to its top temp for about 20-30 minutes.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't know that you're heating it up enough. I crank my oven up to its top temp for about 20-30 minutes.

My first thought also. I've done the heat up in 325 or so oven then lightly oil and put back in the oven for an hour or four, but this is what I've used lately with excellent results. Put the iron with no oil on it in the cold oven and let the oven get to 450, then LIGHTLY oil, then put back in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes, turn off oven, let cool on its own.

http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/seasoning.php

You have to start by sacrificing a goat during the dark of the moon. :001_rolle

You have a very valid point. But...if you mean the goat is the cast iron...they can usually be resurrected from the dead pretty easily. :clap::angel:

More heat and less Crisco.

Google "seasoning cast iron and you will find lots of methods.

Good luck.

Thin wipe of Crisco all over then to the BBQ grill on high for 45-60 minutes, keeps any smoke out of the house and away from smoke alarms.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I my world I prefer my seasoning black and not tacky. 450-500 degrees is where I'm aiming for.

My first Lodge pan didn't just have pebbles, they were more like hooks. I sanded them down somewhat. The pan has been great since then.

My lodge had a rough surface when it came "factory seasoned". Took a few meals but just through use I finally built up enough carbon to have a smooth and slick surface.

It's been so long...but I mainly seasoned my Lodge through use. BTW...cast iron cookery is the best way to get iron in your diet. Sadly, I got too much iron. My doctor says cut out the cast iron. "No way," says I. So, instead, he has me giving blood once a quarter. This is a great compromise, and a public service. :thumbup1: Although BnB has me hooked on DeBuyer, too. So I am polygamous in my skillet use. :blushing:

I agree with the higher heat less product as well. I use nonstick cooking spray. Spray some on, wipe with paper towel. Might be easier to get a thin even layer on the entire surface than crisco.

Next question, should I remove the previous layers of seasoning, prior to moving on to high heat low product?

Google is indeed your friend. So is youtube. Since it's a Lodge (a have two, and I'm thinking about doing this), I would possibly sand it first to smooth the surface. THEN start the seasoning process. I never did anything other than just cook in it.....I clean it out over high heat with kosher salt and scraping, then wipe in a tad of oil while it's still hot. As I understand it, "seasoning" is a chemical reaction that happens between the metal and oil at high heat, so that's what it requires.

Also, I was a raft guide for a while, and we did almost all of our river cooking in a couple 4-inch deep cast iron casserole dishes (they were great!). But we didn't freak out about them...we washed them with dish soap like all our other utensils, and didn't oil them afterwards (the oil coating would just attract the dirt/dust/sand that's everywhere on a rafting trip), and they were the best cast irons I've ever used. Moral of the story: just cook with the thing for the next 20 years and it'll be fine.

My first thought also. I've done the heat up in 325 or so oven then lightly oil and put back in the oven for an hour or four, but this is what I've used lately with excellent results. Put the iron with no oil on it in the cold oven and let the oven get to 450, then LIGHTLY oil, then put back in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes, turn off oven, let cool on its own.

http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/seasoning.php

You have a very valid point. But...if you mean the goat is the cast iron...they can usually be resurrected from the dead pretty easily. :clap::angel:

No it's sacrifice a goat ON the cast iron you are trying to season... May need two or three darks of the moon,..

I like preheat, very thin rub with flax seed oil and bake for an hour to cure. Turn oven off and cool slow until room temperature. Repeat until you're happy.t

Last edited:
Top Bottom