What's new

Charcoal Goods safety razors

Hey everyone, I recently found out about a guy who is making safety razors that look beautiful. I was wondering if anyone has purchased one and can report on the quality, feel and such. If no one has experience with this guy that is okay, just thought I would ask.

here is his site.
http://www.charcoalgoods.com/

No experience with those products, but very nice designs and prices look reasonable for such a hand made piece. Let's hope he finds success. Thanks for posting the link.

have you used ZAMAK heads before? any good?

ZAMAK is just another word for pot metal. It's not a type of razor head, it's a metal alloy. Merkur and Muhle razors, for example, are made of this alloy.

I agree that that site doesn't really show hand-made razors. It shows hand-turned handles outfitted with generic heads. I suspect the heads are very similar (if not the same) as the ones used on razors marketed as RazoRock, Maggards, etc., etc.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have two of the copper handles (single spiral and hammered), and they are excellent quality. Wonderful weight and touch, very intuitive when handling, and they look at least as good as shown on the website. If you are willing to part with the money, you should not be disappointed.

Brian, the owner and maker, also is very gentlemanly and professional to deal with.

I cannot speak to the quality of the heads, as I've not used one, but (as noted) he does not manufacture them.

Great find! Beautiful handles and the one brush he has on the site is really nice looking plus he or someone he knows is going into the soap business... Heads look just like what is out in the marketplace. Lots of great small businesses up in Oregon, some of the best knife makers in the world & US made Hunting/Hiking Boots..

I have a couple Twin Spiral in Antique Copper handles. The one I'm using weighs in at 58.72g. It is an exceptional matchup with a 20's Old Type head.

From what I have read he is in the custom handle business and the head is just a value add to be able to shave with his product out of the box. His handles look great and I would give one a whirl. Zamak heads shave just fine, they just won't last a lifetime like brass or stainless. With a little searching and investment, it is a simple fix if you vehemently oppose Zamak. Or, use it until it gets ugly or breaks and replace it.

I bought two Charcoal Goods razors a while back (hammered bronze and hammered copper) and have been using them ever since.
They have great grip , balance and fit all of my heads. Although pricey they are hand made and require a lot of time and attention.
I have not regretted this purchase for one second and doubt you will either.

He is now also doing CNCd brass heads in about nine variations. Three aggressiveness levels and with open comb, bar comb or a combo with one side bar comb and one side open comb. The basic head design is based on the old Gillette Long open comb New razors of the 1930s. I just ordered one, medium aggressive.

He is now also doing CNCd brass heads in about nine variations. Three aggressiveness levels and with open comb, bar comb or a combo with one side bar comb and one side open comb. The basic head design is based on the old Gillette Long open comb New razors of the 1930s. I just ordered one, medium aggressive.

How does it shave? I'm thinking of getting the dual comb.

Top Bottom