What's new

Got my first custom!

I finally got around to ordering my first custom straight. I looked at many makers, and decided on Jacob Ray Creations. He fit my allowance, and was willing to go a bit out of the box with it. I haven't had the chance to get my camera out yet, but here is a quick phone photo teaser.

$20150401_023058.jpg

The scales are an Australian burl wood that matches my DE and brush that I already have. I will try to get good photos this weekend.

Although not my style I like the different and exotic designs. Looking at this one I hope if shaves you well. It does look a bit awkward to use and strop.

Interesting. Pricing is within my budget as well. Love the "Damascus" availability at that price point. Not sure I would go for such an eclectic "look", but to each their own.

Sorry I haven't been on, been quite busy. I will try to get some better photos up tomorrow.

I did shave with it, and it shaves great. It is comfortable to use the way that I hold it. (Normal folded back for N/S, straight open for E/W, and folded back and pinched at the hinge for S/N.)

Stropping is a little different. When it is open straight, the extra scale material near the pin really shortens the amount of tang to hold on to, so I really have to slow up and pay attention, but I probably should be doing that anyway. :blushing:

Ok, this has been a long time coming, but real life has been very hectic lately between work, trying to purchase a home and my best friend who was suffering from ptsd taking his own life.

But as promised, although quite late, here are a few more pictures.
View attachment 597528
View attachment 597529
View attachment 597530
$_MG_0059.jpg
$_MG_0040.jpg

The stropping takes a little getting used to due to the thickness of the scales, and I am still relatively new to straights, and am used to pretty much full hollow grinds, so the angle of the shave is a little to get used to also. When I get my end right it is an amazing shaver though!

Condolences for loss... Have you named it yet? All the best blades have names... My vote would go to Smaug, just a thought...

Top Bottom