What's new

Finally getting a BBS shave on a regular basis!

Well it's taken about a year of getting reacquainted with DE shaving (did it briefly as a kid), but I'm getting a BBS on a regular basis with little to no bloodshed. I think the first big step in my progress came after about 5 months, when I finally felt confident to go XTG and went from two to three passes. Next step was at about 6 months when I became a cold water shaver. I was getting a lot of nicks and cuts with warm water, and switching to cold seemed to make my face more cut resistant while also providing a firmer surface for a closer shave. And the cuts I do get close easily with a cold water rinse. Next, after about 8 months, I hit upon a blade that seemed to work best for me - the Gillette Silver Blue. I've probably used around 25-30 of them, and each one has given a close, comfortable shave and has been reliably good for 4 shaves. Also around this time I switched from a Semogue 620 boar brush to an EJ best badger. This has given me a sturdier lather, and provided the additional benefit of leaving the top of my shaving soap relatively flat, where the Semogue sort of hollowed it out. Finally, a couple of weeks ago I added a 4th pass to my neck and jawline, using a stroke that's midway between WTG and XTG.

Maybe it's silly, but I really love that extra little feeling of pride and accomplishment at a job well done, and also enjoy how even my stubble is the next day! Best of all is that I enjoy shaving once again, much like when I was a kid 40-plus years ago.

Last edited:
Just curious, did you ever do the cotton ball test?

I suspect that many shavers don't fully realise just how close a shave must be before it can be called a true BBS (as in: a cotton ball swiped across your face should not leave traces in any direction).

Personally I am happy with a close DFS ... true BBS is mainly academical for me. The most important news is that you found a shave that works for you, I would say!

The cotton ball test is the answer. I have been getting BBS for quite some time now and once you get used to it nothing else will do.
congratulations on your sucess! It is an accomplishment!

Nothing like a BBS, congratulations. I have been DE shaving for about a year, and I know the feeling of achieving the shave you are looking for. Once I found the products that were most appropriate for my face, it became much easier to achieve the closest shave I could achieve.

I also use the Gillete Silver Blue blades and love them. I strictly use them with my Merkur Vision 2k. I also use Polsilver with my vintage Gilletes.

Again, congrats and enjoy those shaves!

Thanks all! It is a great feeling. By the way, I wasn't aware of the cotton ball test, instead I just relied on rubbing my face in a circular motion like the B&B abbreviations for a BBS says. I don't have any cotton balls, but my wife uses some little pads to wipe off makeup, and these appear to have cotton on them, so maybe that would work.

Last edited:
That's awesome, congrats! I also enjoy going for a BBS every time if possible. It's difficult for me to do it after just 24 hours without tearing my neck up, but if I am extremely careful and go slow, I can usually pull it off. Sometimes, like today, I will still find a slight detectable rough spot an hour or so after the shave, even though when I rinsed off, there was no detectable stubble. Still, I'm okay with that, cuz the other 95% of my neck is smooth as could be. If I let my beard grow out another 12 or so hours, I can usually get that coveted BBS a little easier.

Happy shaving!

Thanks all! It is a great feeling. By the way, I wasn't aware of the cotton ball test, instead I just relied on rubbing my face in a circular motion like the B&B abbreviations for a BBS says.

In my opinion, most people's fingers are not sensitive enough to spot the difference between a "near BBS" DFS shave and a true BBS shave.

I am a terminology fundamentalist ... goes with my profession :wink2:

The beauty of BBS is that it is so precisely defined: absolutely no stubble left in any direction.
The "cotton ball test" is a reliable way to draw the line between a DFS and a BBS.

Last edited:
Well done!
:thumbup1:

Although I don't search for a BBS every morning due to my sensitive skin, I appreciate when BBS "happens".
I usually go for a DFS shave indeed, I'm clean shaved and ready to go!

I'm fine with a DFS if it's been less than about 20 hours since my last shave or I'm in a rush. Still feels way better than what I got with disposables.

Top Bottom