What's new

Cartridge razor users Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
No - the "Tri-Flexxx" - Carts from Personna are with stiff blades and not spring-mounted ;). I use them a vew times in a year on an old Sensor grip.
They do not float like the original cartridges - feels more like a Trac II - shave I find.

Personally I shave with "everything" what is designed to shave: Electrics, carts & DE, non of them gives me ingrown hairs :); they would if I would stretch my skin to taught by shaving against the grain I think.

Every single blade lasts 1 week, the cartridges do one to 6 weeks (the "ProGlide"s are the best for me) ...

All what metters is a personal "thin" from hair, skin & technic what makes the difference (when there is no medical issue).

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Andreas

I've only very recently joined this forum, but I started traditional shaving about a dozen years ago. I was a cart shaver and one day I'd just decided I'd had enough of getting my wallet plundered by Gillette for something that to me was obviously very cheap to manufacture.

Gillette, and to a lesser extent Shick, have a virtual stranglehold on the market and they charge accordingly. I haven't knowingly purchased anything from Gillette or Shick in about 12 years. It hasn't always been easy, but I'll be damned if they get another penny from me.

It's simply been a bonus that the ingrown hairs I used to get around my neck and the sides of my chin stopped as soon as I gave up the carts. The shaves I get now are Damned Fine and with a bit more effort, BBS. I'm not sure I'd call this a "hobby," but it hasn't been a boring chore either.

Screw Gillette and their predatory business practices.

NOT ANOTHER PENNY.

-Kesto

I've only very recently joined this forum, but I started traditional shaving about a dozen years ago. I was a cart shaver and one day I'd just decided I'd had enough of getting my wallet plundered by Gillette for something that to me was obviously very cheap to manufacture.

Gillette, and to a lesser extent Shick, have a virtual stranglehold on the market and they charge accordingly. I haven't knowingly purchased anything from Gillette or Shick in about 12 years. It hasn't always been easy, but I'll be damned if they get another penny from me.

It's simply been a bonus that the ingrown hairs I used to get around my neck and the sides of my chin stopped as soon as I gave up the carts. The shaves I get now are Damned Fine and with a bit more effort, BBS. I'm not sure I'd call this a "hobby," but it hasn't been a boring chore either.

Screw Gillette and their predatory business practices.

NOT ANOTHER PENNY.

-Kesto

+1 My friend, I could not have said it any better!

Only 5 bucks a year spent on blades sure beats 48 dollars or more the other way!

Perhaps I should move to a more tolerant forum, one that appreciates the art of achieving a fine shave rather than the obsessive compulsion to buy more stuff. Mods, what's it going to be, a no carts forum or a shaving forum?

I'm not saying that I agree with the "cartridges are evil" attitude. But the reality seems to be, that as soon as you mention the "cartridge" word, people stop reading what you are actually telling (e.g. sharing some info on vintage cartridges), and start telling you that cartridges are evil and expensive.

Interestingly, 1970's cartridges seem to be evil, while 1970's DE razors are good. They're of the same vintage, and the original cartridges certainly were an innovative idea, in my opinion.

Last edited:
For those of you who use, or used to use, Gillette razors I suggest you try one of the Schicks. I recently bought their Quattro (4 blades which Gillette skipped over) on the advice of a friend. I'm going to try that soon and I might start a thread on it or add to this one. Allegedly, the Schick blades are sharper than the Gillettes.

For those of you who use, or used to use, Gillette razors I suggest you try one of the Schicks. I recently bought their Quattro (4 blades which Gillette skipped over) on the advice of a friend. I'm going to try that soon and I might start a thread on it or add to this one. Allegedly, the Schick blades are sharper than the Gillettes.

Does not suprise me. For the 1970's and 1980's cartridges, I also think that Wilkinson Sword and Schick had better cartridges than Gillette. Gillette has the marketing power though.

YMMV of course.

Perhaps I should move to a more tolerant forum, one that appreciates the art of achieving a fine shave rather than the obsessive compulsion to buy more stuff. Mods, what's it going to be, a no carts forum or a shaving forum?

You must not be aware of the fact that it's impossible to shave with a cart (or electrics for that matter). :tongue_sm

You must not be aware of the fact that it's impossible to shave with a cart (or electrics for that matter). :tongue_sm

LOL! Yeah it's a lesson I haven't learned yet, although I only managed a SAS with electrics I get a nearly BBS with my Trac II, DE and SE. My focus is on the shave not the hardware or software, once a guy learns to shave properly almost any gear will work just fine.

Why does anyone think cartridges are innovative? Hogwash.

A cartridge doesn't do anything better except make the corporations richer.

Cartridges create more waste that is unnecessary.

Clearly, they don't do as fine or efficient a job as a a DE type.

The biggest thing I don't understand is why anyone would choose to literally waste more money on some cheap plastic parts that have no artistic or design class whatsoever. More money put into a non-heirloom quality tool/system, for a low quality experience. Nobody has to buy a 200 dollar razor. We all know that here. Anyone can find a great vintage razor for peanuts. It's kind of like choosing to pay more for a paper airplane, when you could own and supply a gas-powered radio controlled plane for less money.

I am not trying to be a jerk, I just don't understand the logic. Especially when you are an B & B. It's also like bringing a McDonald's meal into a Five Star restaurant, and choosing to eat that while your friends eat gourmet for LESS than you paid for the Mickey D's!

The biggest thing I don't understand is why anyone would choose to literally waste more money on some cheap plastic parts that have no artistic or design class whatsoever.

Is this an April Fool's joke? I just don't see the razors Gillette has made over the years as junk. Even my Indian Guard is impressive for only costing less than 50 cents, it's a thing of beauty, despite being made out of plastic. Gillette really did their research and delivered a product that made poor people feel good about shaving. So much for being an evil corporation out to exploit people. I just tend to see them out to try to sell products people actually want.

I am actually thinking about switching back to a cartridge, for several reasons.

DE's are cheaper but that's the only advantage I see for most people. I've just never got an amazing shave out of them. I've shaved with them off and on over the years. As long as I use a shave brush, it seems to help keep away ingrown hairs. But I can happily use a cartridge and a shave brush together.

Especially when you are an B & B. It's also like bringing a McDonald's meal into a Five Star restaurant, and choosing to eat that while your friends eat gourmet for LESS than you paid for the Mickey D's!

Here in downtown Orlando there's actually a McDonald's with leather furniture, a fireplace, a nice fish tank... if I weren't gluten intolerant I'd be eating Big Mac's there all the time.

But actually I think its more like choosing to drive an automatic sedan vs. driving some Model T on a thimble-full of corn oil, telling yourself the lack of a good suspension is some kind of "feature" and slapping yourself on the back for saving all that money. I mean, most of the world is shaving with DE's cause they are POOR, not because its an inherently better way to shave.

Enjoy those cartridges! :001_smile

I don't use cartridges. I just hate the "cartridges are junk" attitude, for various reasons.

If you had wanted to comment on my sig line, a more elegant way would have been appreciated :wink2:

(Edit: not really true, I use my dad's old Trac II once in a while when I am traveling)

Last edited:
I'm going to toss in my two cents here. My first step into "traditional" shaving was based PURELY on nostalgia. I had gone yo Walk Mart for a can of shaving gel and some cartridges. While I was there, I saw the VDH basic set with the green bowl and boar brush. I remembered my fascination with my grandpas shaving gear...an old brush, a couple different DEs...maybe a an SE...straight, stone and strop. I bought the kit on impulse, and a smaller can of gel just in case. I went home, whipped up a lather and shaved with the cartridge razor. I loved the experience and the way that my skin felt afterwards. That can of gel made it into my travel bag, and was my last.

To be honest, I didn't even know that they still made DEs or straight. About a year later, I was in an antique store with my now-SWMBO and saw a few straights and DEs. I almost bought one then, knowing that I could still get the blades, but talked myself out of it (I know, I know. At the time I could have cleaned them out).

Fast forward to last year. The MicroTouch One ad came on the history channel and made me curious. Not wanting to purchase from a TV ad without reading A LOT of reviews, I found that I could get a better razor for a comparable price, so I popped on it when the funds were available.

I have been shaving with it ever since, using carts for touch up on my head. Have I had some irritation, bad shavs? Yes. But the overall experience has been much more pleasurable and better overall. On the savings end? I have saved a huge amount (thanks, in part, to some PIFS). I used to get two head and two face shaves out of a cartridge (nevet head after face...Lol...ouch!). I get the same two shaves out of a blade costing less than a quarter. I also like that I waste a lot less plastic/packaging material and have cut aerosol, usage considerably (and no can to toss) When I fill my blade bank, it can get tossed in the recycle bin.

With that said, would I like to see more people get into traditional shaving? Yes. It would make product more accessible and have a magnified positive environmental impact. Do I have the right to fault somebody for using a cartridge or disposable? No. Your mileage (and desire) may vary.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I like my Sensor carts and also my Slim, but neither sees much use these days as I prefer straights and my Injector. That doesn't mean that my carts and DEs are inferior to my straights and Injector. It just means that I currently like the latter more.

LOL. I could debate this with you to infinity, and you will not choose to even acknowledge I am saying. No worries, I am just glad that I see it my way, and don't argue the merits of an over-inflated, over-hyped/marketed product that makes a huge corporation more profitable with.

My arguments are in fact credible, and you telling me that repeatedly will not make me change my mind. Enjoy your carts! :w00t:

You do realize that the DE was once an "over-hyped/marketed" product don't you? You're just choosing to dismiss the most recent offerings, which by the way, we can only assume that millions of men have absolutely no problems with. And to back up Eeyore, as I'm sure he's grown tired of mentioning, the double blade carts that he uses can be bought for the same amount as DE blades, and those old trac/atra handles are somewhat attractive as far as anyone can say that razors can be attractive.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
This discussion has gone beyond useful, all the points seem to have been covered. Closed.

This discussion has gone beyond useful, all the points seem to have been covered. Closed.

and then some. To respond to a question earlier in the thread, it's a wetshaving forum. Most members use more traditional DE's, SE's and straights, but there ain't nothing wrong with a cartridge if that's what works for you. I can't get a decent DE shave in five minutes, but if that's all the time I have, I'm using the Sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom