What's new

Want to make a black pepper-lime aftershave myself. Any tips?

Hey guys. My wife has been buying Doterra essential oils for a while now and I am feeling up for trying my own aftershave concoction now. I have done some research and know lime is a top note, black pepper is a middle note, and I need some sort of base to help prolong them as well as tie it all together. I was thinking something like vetiver or Ylang Ylang as a base. Does anybody have a recommendation as to proportions and if glycerine added would be beneficial as well? I'm not looking to sell it, just make 5-6 oz or so for personal use. I could use vodka or a perfumers alcohol for a carrier, but I also have fractionated coconut oil on hand as well.

Any thoughts? Fears? Suggestions?

Nick, I laud your intent.
But you should consider trying a sample of St James new black pepper and lime shave products.

$stjames.jpg

Vetiver would be my choice. The aftershave I make is Vetiver Tonka Rose, and I use 2 parts vetiver to one part each of the others. I use witch hazel, alcohol and water. Don't overdo it on the oils. Glycerin is fine to use, but I don't.

Nick, I laud your intent.
But you should consider trying a sample of St James new black pepper and lime shave products.

Well, that would most definitely make it easier for me. In fact, I didn't know they released this scent and thats why I wanted to make something.

Patten, thanks for the hints. I may still try to blend something up since I have everything. How much witch hazel, alcohol, and water do you use!

Black pepper? And lime? Aftershave? I didn't even know such a combination existed in the aftershave world. Sounds pretty amazing to me. Just when I thought my AS collection was good enough for now.....

I read the thread on the bay rum, and had to hold back because the thought of rum makes me sick..... Don't know why, but it does. I'm going to start with 4 oz witch hazel, 2 of alcohol, and add 2 drops each of vetiver and black peppercorn, then start with 4 drops lime EO. I'm open to suggestions as well. I have the St James in my shopping cart already too....

Since you like pepper notes in aftershave, you should also try to get a sample of Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet.
you can grab a sample at the high end department stores and also from Art of Shaving stores.

Top Bottom