What's new

My First Shave with my new CJB Kamisori

for reference:

Not my pic but exactly what arrived in the mail today. I did my taxes, found out i owed a bunch, :( so i decided to calm myself and have a nice relaxing shave, with the sharpest implement I have ever held in my entire life, with no guard, after watching some youtube videos where this one guy does a number on himself and bleeds all over the place. What was I thinking???

I was thinking I have gotten over my fear of heights, and this stupid little piece of metals isn't scary at all... right? So I start with Poraso cream. Good ole Poraso. I hate Poraso now. I lather half my face, the right half. I saw some stuff about switching hands. Nuh uh. My left hand hates me and might try to kill me since i never use it for anything other than playing pool and typing. I shave the right half of my face. I give myself a couple fo weepers as expected and a .5mm nick on my ear lobe because i was not being careful enough. I did mention sharpest piece of metal ever?

So as I am pondering why i am doing this my wonderfully hyper adolescent male dog comes in. I set down the razor and usher him out of my bathroom and lose the door. Last thing I want is to be part of that headline. I look down at my nice safe R41 and even safer Weber, again, what was I thinking. That's right, fearless! I got the cheek good. I remember someones tip about alum on the finger tips. That is some sage advice. suddenly i can grip my we soapy skin. Excellent! First pass done, no damage. This is pretty easy!

I re lather the right half of my face. I add more water to the Poraso lather as its a little sticky. More water, more whipping. Apply, and XTG time. This is where i nick my ear lobe. Stypic pencil, yep that burns alright. Better than pink lather though. Across the grain is done, and my cheek is super smooth. No ATG necessary there. But my crazy neck hair has not cooperated. Re-lather neck only, N/S Pass and i would call that half a DFS. Still some stubble butyou can only feel it going ATG with my fingers. Its not visible at all and if i go any further on this side i will get irratation. The lather was wet but not slick. I've never been a huge Poraso fan other than the scent and coolness. It's never been a OMG this is the best ever cream for me.

Also it's my last cream as i have switched over to soaps. I bust out some Razorock Brain Freeze. It's not the coldest soap, but it is a top performer for me. I whip up a new lather, and I have half a Santa Beard. Add more water to the bowl and brush. I paint over a few times to get it thinned out. The first pass is a breeze. I re-lather and good XTG. No alum needed this time and my fingers seem to be grippy still. My cheek is BBS already but my neck... well its not close to irritated and its also not close to smooth. Time for a N/S pass. Its not really ATG and my neck grows in sideways and in circles. I wrap up that pass and go for a little touch up in the crease of my nec where my chin comes to meet it. There are a couple of very minor weepers that go away with cold water and a touch of a pencil. I splash on my Osage Rub cocktail and to my utter surprise there is almost no burn at all. Up yours Poraso. I gotta go upstairs and throw that stuff away. I think if i had done RR all over (like i originally thought) it would have been a better experience on the right side of my face (except for my bone head move near my earlobe).

Shock and awe set in. i just shaved with a Straight Razor like device and did not injure myself. I didn't even give myself razor burn. I got a few weepers, but to be honest I get those with the R41 and a new 7O Black. There is ZERO stubble on the left half of my face. It's smoother than my R41 can get. It didn't take that much longer than an R41 shave either. I am slow and deliberate with that guy, but i could see once I am really proficient, using this guy every day. I also have a Feather AC SS folder on it's way. That should be here Wednesday. The only downside is is the blades are a little more expensive. I am hoping i can get more shaves out of them though. The average double edge lasts me 5 shaves. If I can get 10 out of these it will be great. 15 and I am even with the DE cost.

What a cool new adventure this is going to be. I won't be getting rid of my DE any time soon because in a pinch they are much faster than the kamisori, but wow, the experience is not even close to the same. I can't want to try the Feather AC.

-Joe

Last edited:
Loved the write-up...

Congratulations on the half good shave, looks like you are in your way to the dark side. Keep it up :thumbup:

Once you get comfortable with the disposable straight, maybe you want to try a full metal straight? Yes, you need to strop and hone, but the shaves are smoother (IMO). For the most part, I love the felling of having a smooth shave with a piece of sharp metal that I sharpen.

I've never tried the Proraso, but I have some Arko and Palmolive creams, don't care too much for them, I prefer the hard soaps as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for an excellent post. I've got a CJB and was once devoted to R41. Both are excellent shavers IMHO. My guess is that you've just taken the first step on the no return journey to becoming a straight razor addict. Let it take the time required. It took me some years. Welcome to a new level of shaving experience[emoji2]

Congrats on getting it done and not giving into temptation with the DEs. As for the Proraso, I used some CE Bigelow the other day and got a horrible shave with it. I was like you and wondered why I didn't use my "dailey driver" cream. Won't be using that stuff with a straight again.

I just ordered a Sam Seong for myself for my birthday.....went and ordered som Feather pro guards as well....my first stint with a shavette didn't go so well, but this time I am determined!

Yea I almost with I got the guards TBH, alas I didn't. Feather Ss AC to arrive tomorrow. I'm not ready for the labor of the real thing yet. My wife already dislikes the amount of time I spend sharpening my knives... unless it's the kitchen. Versions lol.

Top Bottom