What's new

My First DE Shave - Not the Closest, But Bar None My Most Enjoyable Shave Ever!

It was with a great deal of anticipation and trepidation that I raised th EJ Kelvin razor to my face. Anticipation for the wonderful shave experience so many attribute to DE shaving. Trepidation, perhaps even nervousness, given the potential for nicks and cuts if I didn't do this properly.

Good news – no nicks, cuts or irritation. And while this wasn't the closest shave I’ve ever had, due to my proceeding quite conservative for my first run with a safety razor (I’m keeping it WTG for now until I get my technique down), it was undoubtedly my most rewarding shave experience. Actually, that’s something I never would have thought I'd say about shaving, which has always just been a necessary evil, like doing taxes (OK, not that bad, but it is that time of the year).

Building the lather and using the brush to work it into my beard, that combination of aroma and sensation was a revelation in and of itself. But something else struck me that I have not come across in any of my research…

… the warmth of the razor as it glided across my face.

Perhaps this is an unsung benefit of three-piece razors, which have a higher mass head than TTO designs? They act as a heat sink absorbing warmth as you rinse them in hot water, and that warmth is quite noticeable as you shave.

Anyway, for the first time ever I find myself eagerly awaiting my next shave!

Thanks B&B!

PS: Shave details - EJ Kelvin razor, Derby Extra blade, Omega 11047 brush, Proraso Green cream, Proraso Blue balm.

Congratulations on a sucessful shave! And welcome to the club!
keep at it and before long the technique will give you the best shave possible!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Keep going and always do what's enjoyable and comfortable for you; Closer shaves are definitely on the way!

Last edited:
A huge congrats to you on the great shave experience and welcome to B&B! :thumbup:

Every shave from here will get even better. I never imagined shaving could be fun or enjoyable either, but it sure is now that I've gone to DE shaving. I look forward to it every day and relish the experience.

Congrats and welcome! I'm the same way... just looking for a DFS until I get all the little things in line. Then I'll go for BBS.

Greetings and welcome to the forum!Congrats on a great beginning to your DE shaving journey. Relax, enjoy and have fun!

It was with a great deal of anticipation and trepidation that I raised th EJ Kelvin razor to my face. Anticipation for the wonderful shave experience so many attribute to DE shaving. Trepidation, perhaps even nervousness, given the potential for nicks and cuts if I didn't do this properly.

Good news – no nicks, cuts or irritation. And while this wasn't the closest shave I’ve ever had, due to my proceeding quite conservative for my first run with a safety razor (I’m keeping it WTG for now until I get my technique down), it was undoubtedly my most rewarding shave experience. Actually, that’s something I never would have thought I'd say about shaving, which has always just been a necessary evil, like doing taxes (OK, not that bad, but it is that time of the year).

Building the lather and using the brush to work it into my beard, that combination of aroma and sensation was a revelation in and of itself. But something else struck me that I have not come across in any of my research…

… the warmth of the razor as it glided across my face.

Perhaps this is an unsung benefit of three-piece razors, which have a higher mass head than TTO designs? They act as a heat sink absorbing warmth as you rinse them in hot water, and that warmth is quite noticeable as you shave.

Anyway, for the first time ever I find myself eagerly awaiting my next shave!

Thanks B&B!

PS: Shave details - EJ Kelvin razor, Derby Extra blade, Omega 11047 brush, Proraso Green cream, Proraso Blue balm.
How was your next shave?

I love to hear this from people. I agree about the razor head being pre-heated in warm water. Try that with a crappy plastic cartridge.

Don't wait to make two more passes. You will be even happier! Just go light and careful, and you will do great.

Top Bottom