What's new

So, Frankenstein straights.

Had one of my ideas some time ago, due a talk on other razor forums about rubbish cheap razors that have really nice scales...
The idea being the "Frankenstein's razor" that is to use a nicer razor with the scales of another.

Found this... Thing:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LXZU4T8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

And, many have praised the end result of getting this shave ready:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FJ0BDH0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Just wondered if it's possible... What are people's experience of doing this kind of thing?

Buying anything from China is essentially endorsing Mao Tze Tung and his entire ideology!

The soapbox came out, I had one foot on it and my speech ready. Then, I took a deep breath, slowly removed my foot from the soapbox and potentially my mouth, slid the soapbox under the desk, and chose not to engage. I managed to keep this about shaving rather than politics.

So, I was looking at scales on the superior shave. They have some nice olivewood scales from Germany. I particularly like 9, 10 and 16. It would not be particularly Frankenstein. But, it could enhance my Dovo.

Swapping scales is a very common practice, if you like the scales by all means make your FrankenRazor. At the end you may find that, like Seraphin said, those scales may be to heavy, but they can be just right for you.

Good luck :thumbup1:

Swapping scales is a very common practice, if you like the scales by all means make your FrankenRazor. At the end you may find that, like Seraphin said, those scales may be to heavy, but they can be just right for you.

Good luck :thumbup1:
Thanks for the well wishing, the issue is... I've asked about the average of weight of straight razors, but kind of got a *shrug* no idea kind of reply. My thought with the scales was simply if there is enough material on the inside, I could just shave out some of the metal. Looking at the scales, it seems both the front and back are quite squared off also. There may be more I can comfortably remove from there too without causing issues with overall rigidity and ergonomics of the whole thing.

TBH, going on the assumption that the scales act as a counter- balance to the blade... Ergo the weight of each should be pretty much equal.

For this though, I will need to have a proper good look at it to assess this. It may well be the idea falls base over apex and proves to be just a pretty razor- shaped thing that is unusable as a razor.

That's the joy of experimentation... :bored:

Last edited:
If you are willing to work scales, may I suggest building your own from scratch. You can get a horn blank or scrap piece of wood and make yourself some nice scales to replace on that GD. Horn and wood are easier to work with than metal.

Here is a link to the ones I did recently:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...and-clean-up?p=7261787&highlight=#post7261787

Cheers
Nice work, never really thought about fabrication. Sculpting and casting are areas I am very experienced in...
A H R Geiger styled set of scales would look so cool...
done a homage to his work before..

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE...chestburster_final_by_marquiswyld-d3e6tvj.jpg

DUDE!!! That's awesome!!! If you can pull that out, it would look so cool... ehjjemmm, sorry about that, my inner geek got a hold of the keyboard.

But really, a set of scales making homage Señor Geiger would be awesome, I would say try it and see what comes out.

You are in the UK right? Maybe we can exchange scales making services, "Horn for Geiger", though I think I would benefit more, but we can work something out...

DUDE!!! That's awesome!!! If you can pull that out, it would look so cool... ehjjemmm, sorry about that, my inner geek got a hold of the keyboard.

But really, a set of scales making homage Señor Geiger would be awesome, I would say try it and see what comes out.

You are in the UK right? Maybe we can exchange scales making services, "Horn for Geiger", though I think I would benefit more, but we can work something out...
Glad yo like it, it was such a searing pain to create... My original mold didn't cure properly, leaving me with 36 hours to sculpt, mold, cast oh and paint the final piece. Think I got 12 hours sleep in 3 days :blink: Will not be making that kind of error again.
it would be possible to sculpt one via carving from just a lump of resin.... But it would be such a fiddle!... Oh and the most messy..

Top Bottom