What's new

Affordable Body Soap

I'm a hairy guy. There, I said it. Rubbing a bar of soap on me is like rubbing it against an S.O.S. pad. I go through a bar of soap in about a week. I know I could use a wash rag or a scrunchie to save some soap. But I am a bar to skin type of person. Therefore, all of my life I've been sticking to the big brands.

I use Irish Springs exclusively at the moment. I've found it to leave me feeling the cleanest (not that slimy Dove feeling), while also smelling the nicest.

I'd love to find an artisan soap to use that wouldn't break my bank given how much soap I go through. It doesn't have to smell like Irish Springs, but would like something that smelled nice.

Anyone have some suggestions? Or should I just buy more Irish Springs?

Stirling. Artisan made, great customer service, lots of scents to choose from, relatively inexpensive (for an artisan soap), flat rate shipping, lathers nicely, and lasts a long time (about 3-4 weeks per bar for me).

Lightfoot's Pure Pine Athletic Soap is fantastic. It's a hard-milled, tallow-based soap with a nice, fresh pine scent. When bought at retail, it isn't quite in the super-affordable category, at approximately $6 a bar - although even at that price it is considerably more affordable than a number of high-end soaps. However, it can be bought in bulk (sans packaging) at 40 bars for $50, which comes out to $1.25 a bar. If there's a better soap available at that price, I'd like to know about it.

Stirling. It's the only soap in our house now. Super clean feeling, lotsa suds, great smells, and dozens to choose from. Good price for artisan soap too.

Great tips everyone!

I have a sample bar of Stirling that I've been waiting to use. It feels like a soft soap to me, and that worries me that I'll eat through it way too fast?

I'm definitely going to check out this Lightfoot's Pure Pine Athletic Soap - sounds like a great deal when purchased in bulk!

Yardley Lavender from Dollar Tree, or Stirling. The Yardley is $1 per bar and the Stirling is $3.50.

I've been using a bar of Florida water soap this week that I picked up for $1.29 at a local beauty supply shop. It leaves me feeling clean and isn't drying. The scent is great, but not too strong.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
We have used liquid soap in my house ever since I discovered that bar soap is less than sanitary. Dr. Bronner's liquid baby soap is $60ish per gallon... You dilute it with 1/2 soap 1/2 water. Works in the shower, sinks, is wonderfully mild. A container lasts about 4 or 5 months with me, the wife, and the baby using it in every sink, every shower...

If you are ok with waiting for product to arrive, I was sold some Turkish Bittim soap by one of my eBay shave suppliers. Türk Bittim soap has the distinction of containing wild pistaccio oil, usually in addition to olive oil and old-fashioned lye. Bittim, just like other middle eastern craft soaps, is made in big lots and cut in rectangular chunks, so sizes may be slightly irregular but are comparable to bigger-size deodorant soaps. According to research I did on the 'net, you can think of Bittim soap like you can think of all-purpose body wash. It is suitable for face, body, and hair. Wash your hair with it and it does not come out stiff. Much to my surprise, I got as clean as with Old Spice or Lever 2000 with no feeling of soap film. If you read the claims of some sellers, it is said to have follicle-restoring properties and to prevent hair loss, but those claims sound rather dubious. Even if it does not do any miracles on this old man's old wiry hair, it is still good soap.

You can get the large bottles/containers of Irish Spring body wash in two packs at Target, IIRC. Personally I'd suggest giving yourself a tri, unless your day job consists of imitating a yeti. :p

I love the Yardley lavender but today I discovered Yardley avocado and aloe. It smells great, not a strong scent but a great summer scent. I paid $1.50 at Walgreens.

I'm using the Yardley Lavender one as well as Kirk's Castile. Both are available locally so no shipping cost. I like the Kirk's a little better but it doesn't last as long per bar and it's slightly more expensive.

Top Bottom