What's new

Need your opinion on this super adjustable

Hi everyone, I need your opinion on an issue I am having. I won an online auction for a super adjustable. The first issue I noticed was as soon as I pulled it out of the box. It was described to be a W1, but was actually a U1. This was a big disappointment since I was looking for my birth year razor. Now the real problem came next when I tried cleaning it. I let it soak for an hour in warm water with a little bit of dish soap. This was nothing different than I have done with other razors I purchased. I pulled it out of the bath and then started to dry the top of it with a soft towel. That is when I noticed that my hands were black. I grabbed a paper towel and dried off the handle (did not apply pressure on the handle). The results can be seen in the attached pic. I am guessing that black paint was used to cover fading on the resin handle. Am I wrong about this? I have not had this happen before on others I have.

Attachments

• $IMG_0356.jpg
    $IMG_0356.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 103
I've haven't had that happen yet and have several black handled super speeds, although I don't have a super adjustable yet :sad:. Kinda looks like shoe polish.

Looks like it's been painted. The original finish is anodized so it shouldn't come off like that. Well...wrong date code, re-paint coming off...I would contact the seller for a return or you can sell it. If you do sell it make sure all that repaint comes off or disclose that in your ad. Good luck and let us know.

Wow this is a first.

Dish soap should not do anything to a normal SA handle.

Did someone try to cover up soap scum down in the grooves of the handle with a magic marker?

I would try to clean more but document with photos along the away in case the seller needed to be contacted.

The covering on a SA handle is a black resin. OxiClean can make this resin go white if soaked to long. But this looks like a cover up situation.

I was a bit shocked myself when it happened. This is my third super adjustable and have several black handle super speeds. I am guessing they were trying to cover fading. I have already put in a request for a refund, but the seller states no returns. All I was looking for was a good shape birth year/birth quarter razor which I thought this was. Should be interesting how this turns out.

Just noticed this is your first post bjfrank, so welcome to B&B.

If this does not clean up and turn out to be the razor you wanted I'd contact the seller.

Was this off eBay?

Just noticed this is your first post bjfrank, so welcome to B&B.

If this does not clean up and turn out to be the razor you wanted I'd contact the seller.

Was this off eBay?

Thanks. I was hoping my first post wouldn't start off on a bad note like it has. Yes, it was from eBay.

Nope, no OxiClean. Just Dawn non-concentrated dish soap and warm water.

OP, I was speaking in general and was not trying to imply you did this.

Can you see what they were trying to cover up? I would funny if they just tried to cover up old soap.
Well maybe not for you bjfrank, but just their actions.

Thanks. I was hoping my first post wouldn't start off on a bad note like it has. Yes, it was from eBay.

As someone stated earlier, just the date code issue should be enough for eBay backing you on a return. Good luck sir.

Couple weeks back I had to send a razor all the way back to Germany because of defects, so I can "feel your pain" as they say.

I have three Super Adjustables -- my favorite Gillette!

Worse than painted - like someone took a magic marker to it. Too bad.

Welcome to B&B! Be assured that nobody here will try that BS on you :001_smile
That's definitely grounds for a refund. I'm sure ebay or Paypal will be able to help you.

Last edited:
Sure this has been mentioned as happening before, in another post. It is one thing to clean and polish a razor to make it look it's best, but to use paint or a marker pen to hide imperfections is dishonest. A good seller will disclose and even highlight any imperfections!

I tried using a black sharpie permanent marker to touch up the handle on a recently acquired short handle black adjustable razor with almost exactly the same results! I've just bought a small bottle of Testers gloss black enamel that I'm going to try once I've removed all of the "permanent" marker residue.

Welcome to B&B.

As others have said above, you should complain to the seller immediately. If he doesn't give you a refund or adjustment contact eBay and Paypal.

eBay will usually side with the buyer in most situations, and will refund your money back. Just start the process as soon as possible.

Top Bottom