What's new

Possibilities

For anyone familiar with the pictures I post on the SOTD day thread, I think considering that I use a cell cam, these and other photography I do tend to come out pretty well. At some point, way down the road, I am going to invest in a DSLR to step up the hobby a bit, and get into it a little more. Until then, I was wondering what the advantages of a cheaper point and shoot would be, as opposed to what I do now, if any? What I currently use is a Samsung Galaxy Note, which as best as I can tell is pretty damned fine as far as cell cam's go. What I am looking at is a Nikon Coolpix L330, or something very similar that doesn't step over the 200$ range. Even one of the lower model camera's that don't share that SLR kind of body style. When I research into, I can't yet see enough reason to justify a cost of a new camera until I can go DSLR some day, but perhaps I am missing something? If you have any advice please throw it at me! Cheers all, enjoy you're hobbies, and enjoy you're shaves!

I have been a very long-time photographer, getting hooked by my dad who owned too many cameras to remember. I've owned some very sweet point-and-shoot digital cameras and have taken great pictures with them. But, over time I needed something more configurable and controllable. I knew a DSLR was in my future, but I wasn't a fan of the sizes, choices and prices.

I like things small and easy to carry - a leftover from my point-and-shoot days - so I ended up getting a micro four-thirds camera - an Olympus PEN EPL1. At the time there were several newer models available so I got it at a very discounted price - under $300. In fact, Amazon has the E-PL3 for about $250 right now.

Now a 4/3rds camera might not be for you, but I love the expandability the build and the image size ratio. It's very portable and image quality rivals most budget DSLR's.

Just my opinion of course, but something to think about ;-)

I'd have to agree with Mr Eleven if a compact camera is a must. you might also look at mirrorless options, such as the nikon 1. the nice thing about the nikon mirrorless is that an adapter is available that allows using many of the standard DSLR lenses, so any lens investments you make can move with you when you go to a DSLR

I would love to help, Cash, but I have very, very limited knowledge and use with different types of cameras. I have only used two Nikon DSLRs. Personally, I really like your photos! :thumbup:

Ok, I'm the guy with the curve ball here. I'm getting used to using a Moto X: nice camera, and dang - it's on my telephone! How cool is that!? Before that my pocket cam is a Nikon Coolpix S6; also, very nice cam. Before that my Nikon D3 was my bestist-friend-forever... sadly, back injury and just the frustration of lugging a full kit isn't as much fun as it was before I turned 50. So....

what think you of Lytro?

my hang up - may have been resolved by now - they didn't have a phone app for android... but even so and with card media what it is... I don't HAVE to edit on my first best choice for in the field review and polishing. So? anyone using these to good effect? The concept looks phenomenally ready for prime time. Add, they just had their first price correction since introduction. The cost of buying in is looking very good.

Some day, might actually see continuous focusing in real time, ...on motion imaging... one can only dream!

Thank you for the good words and advice! I had no idea what Lytro was until I just googled it. The only thing that I'm not understanding really is if there is much of a 'quality' difference in say http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/nikon-coolpix-l330/933907 or http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sony-high-zoom-point-and-shoot-camera-dsch300b/933856?? A slight boost in image quality, and maybe some better control over certain features is all I'm after, but do these camera's really justify the cost to what I have now?

When I research into, I can't yet see enough reason to justify a cost of a new camera until I can go DSLR some day, but perhaps I am missing something? If you have any advice please throw it at me! Cheers all, enjoy you're hobbies, and enjoy you're shaves!
You can buy a used DSLR or mirrorless camera & lens for under $200. You won't get everything current models offer (like good video recording) but you will get excellent still image quality even from very old DSLRs.

+1 zj68; in my day video was an entirely different job. Back when betacam was production and digital tape was built on beta's cartridge... The d3 does 8 fps.

Last edited:
fwiw, i thing you're doing great with your cell phone! also, your post processing is good, without going overboard.
if there was one thing i'd suggest, would be a tripod or other solid base and cell phone bracket gizmo with quick release.
then, some experimentation with an led light source of some sort and a couple white board reflectors to play with lighting.
have fun!

Honestly, I've not thought of second hand, how odd of me! And video I'm not fussy on, as it's not something I really do much of. I'm slowly learning some decent tricks, and here is how I set up for my SOTD pictures. I just made a little bracket I can clip my phone onto my tripod with, and when I need to, I hold a white T-Shirt on a hanger in the air to diffuse the light, and stand back a bit and take the picture with my headphone cord plugged into my cell.
$20150331_181055_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Your shots look Great! as they are now, but a DSLR, does open up some fun, someone in the dark room told me composition is the key and the camera is just the vehicle. That being said I won one of the B & B contests with my IPAD, and two pieces of construction paper. Go Figure :lol:

$two rocks, two fingers and a smoke.jpg
"Two Rocks", "Two Fingers", and a smoke

You have a great eye, I always enjoy your shots.

Well, thank you indeed! I suppose in the end, I probably won't improve in quality with any point and shoot, might better just wait until I find the right DSLR eventually. I guess really it's all in how one perceives the shot. The only real rules I follow, are to try and keep the main subject out of center, thus 'involving' the back ground more, and try to follow the 'rule of three', dividing the shot into nine equal squares, though I don't do it by using that setting with the lines on the screen. Trust you're instinct.

Honestly, I've not thought of second hand, how odd of me! And video I'm not fussy on, as it's not something I really do much of. I'm slowly learning some decent tricks, and here is how I set up for my SOTD pictures. I just made a little bracket I can clip my phone onto my tripod with, and when I need to, I hold a white T-Shirt on a hanger in the air to diffuse the light, and stand back a bit and take the picture with my headphone cord plugged into my cell.
View attachment 561093

perfect!

Wow, Cash! That set-up is quite elaborate! Surely tops mine! I don't even have white paper for a background! :lol:
Furthermore, I have to agree with sarimento1 as I really enjoy what you are doing with your compostions! Just be a bit more patient and I am sure you can find a good, used DSLR, soon with a good lens.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess that about sums it up. With no one being able to point out any real advantages and with TONS of research into it now, I guess I really can't do much better camera wise until I get into DSLR. Maybe when my Birthday rolls around in the summer I'll treat myself? Until then, thanks again all, happy hobbies and happy shaves!
:thumbup:

Top Bottom