What's new

How do you decide what AS to use?

Hello all,

As the title states: How do you decide what AS to use?

I have 15 different aftershaves, and I only use 2 regularly, Captains Choice bay rum, and old spice classic. I can never seem to use anything else. not because i don't like the others, its quite the opposite actually, i love all of them, it just seems that i never use anything else. how do you guys decide on what to use today?

There are a lot of factors. Am I going to work? Then maybe Proraso Green or Boosters Lime; something that just smells clean and fades quickly. Is it hot out? Maybe Stirling Gin and Tonic. Or cold? Sandalwood. Am I going on a date with my wife? Maybe Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. Too many choices, and too much fun deciding...

A few factors come to mind:

1) Time of year -- I avoid mentholated AS's in the winter as a rule.
2) Shaving cream -- for fun, sometimes I'll find an AS that matches my cream.
3) Purpose of shave -- if it's pre-event, I'll pick an AS that will work well for the event in question. This may mean something unscented is appropriate.
4) Whimsy -- What do I feel like doing?

Factors:

The weather - like others, I gravitate toward menthol when it's hot out.

The occasion - Am I getting ready for work, a leisurely day off, or an evening out?

Am I going somewhere with my wife - this means no bay rum (she hates it); probably one of the 3 or 4 scents she really likes.

Soap/AS combo - I have several shaving soaps and aftershaves from the same company with the same scent. Which I suppose begs the question, "How do you decide what soap to use?" But that's for another forum.

Impulse - This more than anything. I'll look at my collection and think, "What have I not worn in a while?"

Most evenings I carefully lay out the razor, brush, soap and AS that I plan to use the next morning. When I get up, I decide to do something completely different.

--Bob

Impulse is what I use, but it seems like 19 out of 20 times I'm reaching for cc bay rum, or the old spice. I guess I just need some more discipline to spread the love to all the others.

The quality of the shave also has a bit to do with it. If a particular shave has been rough, I'm more inclined to use Bay Rum or a balm. But not always. Usually, it's just an impulse decision Aqua Velva is the only AS in the cabinet that I like which my wife doesn't care for too much, so I tend to only use that on workdays.

A few factors come to mind:

1) Time of year -- I avoid mentholated AS's in the winter as a rule.
2) Shaving cream -- for fun, sometimes I'll find an AS that matches my cream.
3) Purpose of shave -- if it's pre-event, I'll pick an AS that will work well for the event in question. This may mean something unscented is appropriate.
4) Whimsy -- What do I feel like doing?
+1

The first thing I decide on is the scent (AS in this case).

Then I move to the soap/cream for a complementary scent to my finish (AS).

Once the soap/cream is decided the brush falls into place and starts soaking which decides the lathering method (bowl or face).

Then I need to decide which blade to use. Once that is picked out the razor falls into place.

After about 30 minutes of decision making it is time to start shaving.

SIMPLE... right?!?!?!

Sometimes I stand in front of my AS shelf for WAY too long though

proxy.php

I think its normal to have a preference for a few things over many things. I can acknowledge the value of something without wanting it for myself.

I have two shelves of aftershave, 60-70 in total. Each day is a new impulse. When I'm ready for the aftershave, I peruse my choices and make a selection based on how I'm feeling that day. Sometimes, if a particular thread on B&B makes me want to use an aftershave that has been neglected for a while, I will set that one out for the next day. Otherwise it's an on the spot selection.

Sometimes it depends on the weather, English Leather is good for rainy days, Aqua Velva ice sport for sunny days. Sometimes I decide based on my mood, Old Spice if I'm happy, sometimes I will pick the most offensive scent if I'm going to be around someone I don't like.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm another one that tends to choose on the spot and based mostly on whimsy. What sounds good at the moment?

I have been trying to work my way through some Stirling samples, so I've been concentrating on that, but that's hardly narrowing things. I gotta bunch of 'em!

Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe! Catch an AS buy it's toe.

Really it is all about how I feel that morning! Plus I like to see my wife's reaction when I kiss her goodbye. I have been trying to figure out if she has a favorite.

I tend to go with what I think would be best for the day, honestly. And if I am wearing a cologne, I factor that in as well.

If I didn't have so many to choose from the decision would be easier. I almost wish I could go back to having no aftershave at all... but then I come to my senses!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have one AS at a time and replace it when needed and currently I'm on my 3rd bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue. No waiting for ground shipment as when ordering online; It's inexpensive, effective and available locally.

Top Bottom