What's new

whipped dog synthetic.

I don't seem to see a lot of talk about the whipped dog synthetic knot. I'm wanting a good bowl lathering synthetic and I love love lovey my whipped dog high mountain badger. An also considering an omega synthetic because of the price but Larry's prices/quality are hard to beat. Any opinions on the whipped dog synthetic?

I got one as a traveler, but prefer my WD Silvertip that preceded it. I'd use it on the days I actually travel, as a face latherer. It works, but as my only synth, I don't have anything to judge it against but my naturals, which I prefer. Not much help I'm afraid. I don't see why it wouldn't bowl lather well enough.

The WD is a definitely an acceptable synthetic brush. However, for a modest increase in cost, the Plisson synthetics are significantly better. I do not personally feel that the Omega synthetics (the "Hi-Brush" and "S-Brush") are better than the WD synthetic.

The cheapest Plisson is usually the Cade from L'Occitane, but whether it will return in-store or online is unknown. Plisson also sells direct, and they recently added a couple of discounted brushes, which include resin handles and are very good deals given the currently weak Euro.

http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/39-shavingbrushes-fiber

For Larry's prices you can't beat any of his brushes, Mr. Daniel I have one of Larry's Silver Tip brushes. I am going to order a High Mountain from him as soon as July comes around.

For Larry's prices you can't beat any of his brushes, Mr. Daniel I have one of Larry's Silver Tip brushes. I am going to order a High Mountain from him as soon as July comes around.
The synthetic knots are very different from the badger knots, so the experiences with the badger knots won't tell a buyer much about the synthetics.

A common thing that applies to all brushes that Larry offers: excellent customer service!

Have a Whipped Dog and a Plisson synthetic in my rotation. The WD comes very close to the Plisson. And yes, can't beat the price and service. Worthwhile addition to a brush collection. FWIW, I face lather..

It's good. Like someone else suggested, I'd splurge a few more bucks for the Plisson. Plisson is to silvertip what whipped dog is to black badger.

Have a Whipped Dog and a Plisson synthetic in my rotation. The WD comes very close to the Plisson. And yes, can't beat the price and service. Worthwhile addition to a brush collection. FWIW, I face lather..
For me, the WD has more backbone, but the Plisson is the lather king. I think the WD handle is better than the Plisson (l'Occitane old version).

I have quite a few WD brushes (two silvertips, black badger, and a synthetic), i got the synthetic as a travel brush. It does the job well, of course not the same backbone or scrubbyness of a boar or badger but for the price and its purpose(for me) its very good. I have bowl lathered with it and it did fine.

The synthetic knots are very different from the badger knots, so the experiences with the badger knots won't tell a buyer much about the synthetics.
+1 ... this little detail is often overlooked when talking about brushes. You can't directly compare a badger to a boar to a synthetic to a horse, since they each have unique characteristics. You can only compare one knot against another of the same material for an accurate analysis.

Simpson is now in the Synthetic game. They are making a Limited Edition version of their Chubby2, and they also have the Classic 1 with travel case. You can only order them direct from Simpson at this time. Even with shipping, the prices are quite reasonable.
http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_SYNTHCH2CREAM
http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_CL1SYNTHETIC

+1 ... this little detail is often overlooked when talking about brushes. You can't directly compare a badger to a boar to a synthetic to a horse, since they each have unique characteristics. You can only compare one knot against another of the same material for an accurate analysis.

Simpson is now in the Synthetic game. They are making a Limited Edition version of their Chubby2, and they also have the Classic 1 with travel case. You can only order them direct from Simpson at this time. Even with shipping, the prices are quite reasonable.
http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_SYNTHCH2CREAM
http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_CL1SYNTHETIC

Neat! Too rich for my blood though. Thanks for sharing.

I've purchased 5 synthetic brushes from Larry. It's the only synthetic brush I've used and it'll stay that way. I see no need to pay more to try other synthetic brushes with the excellent performance I get from my Whipped Dog synthetics.

sorry to threadjack... but what about his synthetic knot as compared to say TGN. i was considering a synthetic for the brush restore pif.... but i cant make up my mind. the only synth i have is a muhle silver 19mm

I've purchased 5 synthetic brushes from Larry. It's the only synthetic brush I've used and it'll stay that way. I see no need to pay more to try other synthetic brushes with the excellent performance I get from my Whipped Dog synthetics.

You're missing out then, in my opinion.

The Plisson is a tad bid floppy but its a lathering machine. I also have the Muhle 25mm synthetic and it has more backbone. The Plisson is softer and cost less than the Muhle. The best of both worlds is to have each brush in your shaving stable.

Have you tried Larry's newest synthetic knot?
No, I just ordered it. Waiting for arrival :001_smile

I have a WD synthetic from 2014.

My point is that you definitely should try one of the top rated knots too (like the Plisson and Edwin Jagger) instead of sticking to one manufacturer only.

But that's your choice, of course!

No, I just ordered it. Waiting for arrival :001_smile

I have a WD synthetic from 2014.

My point is that you definitely should try one of the top rated knots too (like the Plisson and Edwin Jagger) instead of sticking to one manufacturer only.

But that's your choice, of course!
You'll like it. I can't justify spending $60+ when I can spend $22 (delivered) and be this satisfied. I'm sure they're great brushes, but those price tags aren't for me.

Last edited:
I have a WD synthetic brush and love it. I also have a Plisson and a Franks Shaving synthetics. I find all of them to have good qualities and could easily use any on a daily basis as my only brush. The handle and price are great on the WD brushes.

Top Bottom