What's new

omega synthetic vs boar

So my first brush was an omega 10066. Fine brush but I prefer bowl lathering and this brush is better fit for face lathering. I'm wanting a brush for a dedicated bowl latherer and was wondering if the S10049 is preferred over the boar version 10049. I'm also considering the S10018 but my main focus is the brush splay. With the larger loft of the 10049 I imagine that even tho it is also boar, in a bowl it splays and lathers better than my 10066. Is the S10049 even better than the boar? I'm just looking for ease/quality of lather and I think having a solid synthetic would be great for travel. 2 birds one stone.

Personally I do really like the Omega Hi-Synthetic. The only real issue I do have with it, is that I think it's a little high in the loft. With the height and a strong back bone, I feel it gets a little 'springy', in that it likes to flick lather around all over sometimes. I prefer a shorter loft.

The S-Brush is a fantastic bowl lathering brush - perhaps the best bowl lathering brush I have (for creams and croaps) - even "better" than my boars and high end badgers. Whips up "shave worthy" lather fast!

Personally I do really like the Omega Hi-Synthetic. The only real issue I do have with it, is that I think it's a little high in the loft. With the height and a strong back bone, I feel it gets a little 'springy', in that it likes to flick lather around all over sometimes. I prefer a shorter loft.

Yes! It is high and the splay pretty much stays in the top 1/4 of the bristles. My Semogue 2000 and Omega 10005 boars also have a tendency to fling product aimlessly. Nothing makes a shave more enjoyable than product flying around the bathroom!

The S-Brush is a fantastic bowl lathering brush - perhaps the best bowl lathering brush I have (for creams and croaps) - even "better" than my boars and high end badgers. Whips up "shave worthy" lather fast!

There are as I understand two very different size groups among the S-brushes--the 23-24mm knots and the the 27-28mm "pro" ones. What kind do you have? (Realize I'm late asking.)

I have both the boar and synthetic version of the 10066, and I feel as though they're both face lathering brushes. There's enough loft to get the job done in a bowl, but I think a broken-in Semogue (the ones with 55mm+ loft) is more suitable for a bowl. Semogues are splayed by default (dry) after about 20-30 uses, whereas Omegas need to be pressed down to splay in the same manner. The Semogue Owner's Club did very well in a bowl for me, but I ditched it for the 10066 because I prefer face lathering.

Regarding the S10066, I feel as though it is actually more resistant to splay than the boar version. I'm okay with that, but I doubt that you would feel the same way.

I also have the Pro49. It splays quite a bit, but it still doesn't have that natural horizontal splay that Semogues develop.

I'd go with a SOC or maybe even hunt for a Plisson if you're looking for the synthetic experience.

I bowl lather and used mainly an EJ Badger or Vulfix 2006 pure Badger or one of my Grandfather or Father's old badger brushes. I ordered the 10049 Omega in Boar and then an Syn Omega Hi-brush with what looks to be an aluminum beehive handle. tried the 10049 one time and the Hi-brush one time and went back to my badgers until about a month ago, pulled the 49 Boar back out for another try and havent used another brush since... Today in the mail my BB12 B&B Omega Boar brush arrived so i'll have to give it a try.. Boar feels fine on my face after getting used to it and the 10049 is a big brush and can whip up enough lather for 3 passes and a clean-up and still some in the bowl...

I just ordered one each of the two 10083 omegas: the boar bristle and the s-10083 (imitation boar). According to what I've read these have the same big knot size as the other Pros but a significantly shorter loft. (Perhaps a proportionately shorter loft than any of the other omega real boar or s-brushes.) Should have more backbone, and several reviewers indicated that they are easier to maneuver than the other Pros (I'll be mostly face lathering).

Boar and syntetic like S-Brush are totally different IMO, that I used today and it's great
In any case a winner. The S-Brush is much softer than regular boar indeed.

proxy.php

Boar and syntetic like S-Brush are totally different IMO, that I used today and it's great
In any case a winner. The S-Brush is much softer than regular boar indeed.

proxy.php

I have the exact same brush. Nice handle, etc..... I agree, the S-brush is not and will never duplicate an authentic boar, but do you know of or have used any synthetic brush that does simulate a boar brush to perfection? I'm fairly certain Omega did the best they could to mimic a boar in this and the Hi-Brush designs.

I would say the S and Hi brushes are to boars as the Muhle, EJ, Plisson, etc., are to Badgers: Trying.......... but not there... yet(?) It may never be a technological reality.

Peace!

It's tempting to buy a S-brush, just to try it for myself ... but I am in a restraint lol!

I know you like the other syn's in your collection. I am fairly certain you will enjoy the S-brush as well. If you are "in restraints" (bedlam?), I will be more than happy to purchase the brush for you and send it to the Netherlands, or is it Denmark?

I know you like the other syn's in your collection. I am fairly certain you will enjoy the S-brush as well. If you are "in restraints" (bedlam?), I will be more than happy to purchase the brush for you and send it to the Netherlands, or is it Denmark?

This again shows the true spirit of B&B ... thank you for your very kind offer!!

However, that would be sacrificing the idea of a restraint, wouldn't it? It's only until summer, so I'll just be patient for a while :001_smile

Go for the Semogue 1305 boar. It is good for bowl lathering, and face lathering.

It may take longer to break in than an Omega, but when it is; you have the perfect brush.

Amazing for painting on lather.

This again shows the true spirit of B&B ... thank you for your very kind offer!!

However, that would be sacrificing the idea of a restraint, wouldn't it? It's only until summer, so I'll just be patient for a while :001_smile

It depends on what is meant by restraint. Does it refer to spending money or acquisitions?

Peace!

It depends on what is meant by restraint. Does it refer to spending money or acquisitions?

Peace!

For me, it means not acquiring anything new during the restraint, and using whatever I got (which is just enough for three lifetimes, I guess).

I can wait those three months, and your kind offer made my day! (I hope that is correct English :001_smile )

Btw, I ordered a 22mm Whipped Dog synthetic just before the restraint ... eagerly waiting until that one arrives!

Top Bottom