What's new

Newbie looking for a starter kit

Hey everyone,

I've been looking into switching to a safety razor for a few weeks now, but I have no idea where to start. My budget is $80, I have sensitive skin and shaving with a regular razor always gives me razor burn. Sometimes I develop a pimple or two as well. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated, and I'll answer any other questions as well.

Thanks!
Ahsem

I might suggest the following, but this is just a suggestion and you should look at several options before getting anything -

1 Merkur 34C HD razor
1 Omega Professional #48 Shaving brush
1 tube of Proraso Red shaving cream
1 bottle of Pinaud Clubman aftershave

This is exactly what I bought and I'm having the best time learning and shaving with this kit and it's definitely under $80. If you want you can even buy a lathering bowl too, but I just used a nice cereal bowl (don't tell the wife).

You'll get a lot of good recommendations here and you can definitely get a very nice starter kit for under $80. Just get 'em and get started!

Welcome and have fun!!

Last edited:
Be warned, that Omega 48 is a BIG brush, great for bowl lathering but it is rather difficult to be precise on the face. I started with that brush as well, but have sense went to the 49 (which was big still), and now I have a 66 on its way. Also read the wiki it is very very helpful, and welcome to the forum.

Also, but a sampler blade pack.

Enjoy yourself and don't over think it.

Welcome.
I myself am just starting as well, haven't even got my razor yet but just ordered it the other day and waiting for it to arrive. I went for an older Gillette.
Google garrys sample shop and he has starter kits with old working Gillette razors. Comes with everything you need to get started in sample sizes. Small brush , aftershave, razor, 2 packs of blades, and the lather.

I myself ordered the adjustable slim for 55 I believe. They go on eBay for around 40+/- maybe a little more from what I have been seeing on eBay and it's just the razor most of the time. So I think Garry sample shop is a pretty good price.

If you don't want an adjustable just purchase one of his starter kits and he sends you a Gillette of his choice. Been reading that old Gillettes aren't bad so I bought one as my starting point.
Check out the site at least and see if you see anything interesting

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Go to "Garrys Sample Shop" website (Garry is also a B&B member) for a complete starter set that includes a shave ready Gillette razor; The price is WELL within your budget.

Hi Ahsem. Maggardrazors.com has a few pretty good started kits. Also there is somebody that has a website for those looking to start out with a vintage set up. I don't remember the site though. I'm sure somebody will help us out on that one.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

I would say you could go with either a Maggard Razor, Edwin Jagger DE89, or Merkur 34c. They are all under 40 dollars. If you go with the Maggard check for scratch or dent. For a brush the Omega 10066 is a good one under 10 dollars. For a soap I am really Impressed with Soap Commander personally. I have more sensitive skin and it works well for me. Less then 20 dollars for a full tub. They also offer an unscented version. For post shave I suggest Lucky Tiger about 15. You can get all of these things from Maggard. The razors might be cheaper on Amazon. Soap Commander also has samples on their site. If you don't want to commit to a full container of soap. I wish I would have know about all the samples Maggard has as well.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here. Take a look at Garry's Sample Shop. Complete starter kit for $35. Enjoy.

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

Your profile does not say where you are located. You might want to update this so that you can receive better (more location centered) help from other members.

To update your location profile:

1) Click Settings at the top of the page
2) On the left sidebar under My Settings click Edit Profile
3) Scroll down and enter a general location (how specific you want to get is up to you)

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

If this is going to be your first wet shave I would take this time to read the wiki ,or any other info you can find. The first shave may not be all that great but with practice it will be an awesome expierence for you. May I ask what kind of blades you have coming ?

Top Bottom