What's new

Pancakes or Waffles . . .

Pancakes or Wafles?

• Pancakes

• Waffles

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
What's wrong with Belgian waffles?
Everything. I don't mean real Belgian waffles, like you get near, oh, say, Utrecht. No, I mean the crappy American version, introduced at the 1964 New York World's Fair.

Before, US waffles were made in electric waffle irons (I'm not capable of dealing with open-fire waffles) from waffle batter that was quite different than pancake batter. (By the way, typical US pancakes are genuinely awful, wooly and thick. No, in my mom's kitchen it was crepes or waffles.)

The waffle iron she used had tiny holes, giving added crispness to the final product. "Belgian" waffles have many fewer and much larger holes. The entire hole/crisp ratio is thereby screwed up. It's been very odd seeing every coffee shop/breakfast joint here in SoCal within the last five years dump their small-bore waffle irons in flavor of those blasted "Belgian" versions. What gives?

Yes to melted butter, yes to real maple syrup, yes to bacon with syrup.

He's a Waffle House kinda guy?
...remembers the Presto/Monkeywards waffle makers?...
...possibly did it the old fashioned way with a folding iron over a fire???...
(Inquiring minds wanna know Vespasian!)
Here are the two versions:
"Belgian" waffles $belgian.jpg
Regular waffles:$waffles.jpg

I love both Pancakes and Waffles and in typical B&B tradition would never just settle for one over the other.

Eeyore, don't be alarmed at the height of American pancakes. Made properly they are light, fluffy leavened cakes and are lighter than they may look.

In my house we use a simple flour/sugar/baking powder mix along with a couple of eggs, milk and a little oil to make a batter that rises to make light, fluffy pancakes. As a bonus I'll add 1/2-3/4 cup of frozen, wild blueberries to make blueberry pancakes.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
While I like 'em both, I'm most certainly a waffle guy. Yep, nice, hot, crispy waffles!

The rest of my house is pretty much in the pancake camp.

I'll take a crispy pancake over a limp waffle, but a crispy waffle is just fine too. As for limp and soggy pancakes, I'll pass the plate.

That looks more like French creps. Our American pancakes are much thicker.

proxy.php

That's it, right there. Delicious, warm, fluffy pancakes. They can make a morning.

My wife and I make pancakes from scratch using almond flour instead of a traditional recipe or a boxed mix from the store. They end up a little more dense than what one expects with pancakes, but still light, and have a nice almond flavor - phenomenal. Very satisfying and my favorite.

I'm in for waffles. And you know what's insane? My fiance's family doesn't even have a waffle maker. They say, "We make our pancakes. If we want waffles we just warm up some Eggos.":blink:

Top Bottom