What's new

How and where do you store your Straight Razors ?

Larry, I noticed you are using silica gel notwithstanding you store your razors in silicon sleeves. Is the box stored in a humid location or it is a pure precaution ? I'm starting to think about my leather sleeves choice .... And wish to keep my razors perfect for Feltspanky !

Thanks Mango: I want them in pristine condition when you decide to sell them.

Another cigar box user, here. I use the kind that have individual sections for each cigar (or in my case, each razor), and line them with satin cloth for a nice touch.

And those boxes sit in a cabinet under the sink of the hall bathroom, which is pretty much only used by me for shaving.

Rotation is stored in a pen display case from Amazon lined with silicon gun cloth (not sure if it makes a difference, but the razors look better on a dark background :001_smile ; holds a little more than 2 dozen. A cigar box holds the stub tails/older razors that aren't currently in use.
$razors_closed.jpg$razors_open.jpg

Check any of the blade forums where guys are serious about knife/cutlery/ razor collecting and nobody would suggest keeping their collection in leather .
1, it can hold moisture. And 2 , the acids used to tan leather leaches out and will cause any metal coming in contact with it to rust. At times quite quickly. It's probably the poorest choice for storage.
As well as keeping a knife in a leather sheath. I learned the hard way with a nice knife. And a layer of oil won't help. Interestingly enough I just read on the Smith and Wesson website that they do NOT recommend putting oul on a gun , even though they are blued which adds protection , that over time guns stored this way will develop distinct rust patterns. The oil tends to bead up, attract dust which absorbs moisture and viola ',,,,, rust spots all over the piece. What then do they use? Why,,, Ren-wax Of course. They found it keeps the guns clean, shiny, protected against moisture and fingerprints and it's good for a long time. Go figure. S&W .
The other report I read recently was directed to steel manufacturers. A rather technical analysis but their conclusion was the same. No oil. They found it offered the least protection. Same conclusions on many blade forums. But they have quite a bit more time into this and how they approach having a collection of valuable steel than I think most razor collectors have.

Last edited:
I like Buck knives, which are often sold with a leather sheath. Buck, however, recommends that their knives not be stored in the sheaths they provide.

All good advice proffered here. Glad to read of it.

I personally, store my razors on a shelf in my bedroom, in the closet. I keep them in whatever they came in - for TI's the leather sheaf they came in - for German razors the coffin (whether cardboard or plastic) they came in. My TI's (my daily shaver) sit in an old wooden soap box the others just lay in their coffins on the shelf. In my 30+ years of straight shaving I've never had an issue with rust (except for scale rot - which is an entirely different problem than we are addressing here).

For any blade that is stored long term it receives a coating of petroleum jelly.

Chris

All good advice proffered here. Glad to read of it.

In my 30+ years of straight shaving I've never had an issue with rust (except for scale rot - which is an entirely different problem than we are addressing here).

For any blade that is stored long term it receives a coating of petroleum jelly.

Chris

Im interested in any storage issues

I'm another fan of Ren-Wax, I think it's the best product that I have ever found for my storage needs. Guns, knives, razors, wood, metal, bone, ivory etc.
And as far as my razor collection, they live with my weapons in a climate controlled, secure environment.

Good...
i'll take my razors out of these leather sleeves tonight and put them again in their boxes.....I polished them with Renaissance Wax one by one, scales and blade. Hope this will protect them a bit

I had been trying to decide how I wanted to store all of my equipment and finally settled on a Gerstner 11 drawer O42 machinist chest. I know others here have used them for the same purpose. I can't wait to get it all set up.

Dual coat hangers screwed into the wall one on topof each other if there stropped and ready they point towards the sink if there not ready and need a stropping they point towards the strop

:) J´Adore is parfum of my wife, the left side of the shelf is my lovely wife's, but thanks... :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom