What's new

Barbershop(pe) anyone?

Which Barbershop(pe)?

• Maggard Razors London Barbershop

• Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe

• Mike's Barbershop

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Good day gentlemen! I've got a little cash in my PayPal account to blow...err spend...and I'm interested in picking up a barbershop scented soap and aftershaving product. I'll preface by saying that my experience with barbershop is limited to Strop Shoppe's SE Barbershoppe soap, and I really enjoyed the scent and performance. I have several of their shaving soap offerings. I've been perusing the Maggard Razors site and came across their London Barbershop tallow shaving soap and matching aftershave. Reviews are promising, but I'm wondering if the soap measures up to Strop Shoppe's. I have a couple of Maggard's non-tallow soaps (Limes & Bergamot and Orange Menthol,) and really like them as well, but probably a notch just below Strop Shoppe IMHO. I suppose I could order the Strop Shoppe soap and Maggard Aftershave? How about Mike's? I've heard great things about it as well, but haven't used any of his soaps. Let's take a vote! Comments are obviously encouraged and welcomed.

Other... Stirling Soap Barbershop.
As much as I love their bath soaps, I have never cared much for their shaving soaps. Just too hard to lather when compared to my favorites (Strop Shoppe, MdC, Maggard.) Have they reformulated recently? If so, I may have to reconsider.

Mike's is the only one I've tried of your choices and I recommend it highly. Awesome scent (though quite short-lived after rinsing your face) and top-notch performance.

Don't know what strop shoppe's scent is like but barrister & Mann Seville is probably my favorite scent on a soap I've owned. There are others that I like more scent wise on an occasional basis, but b&m seville is a scent I'll never get tired of.

As much as I love their bath soaps, I have never cared much for their shaving soaps. Just too hard to lather when compared to my favorites (Strop Shoppe, MdC, Maggard.) Have they reformulated recently? If so, I may have to reconsider.

I voted other as well and my pick is Stirling Barbershop.

I would revisit the soap IMO it is s a soft and easy to lather. Try face lathering.

Don't know what strop shoppe's scent is like but barrister & Mann Seville is probably my favorite scent on a soap I've owned. There are others that I like more scent wise on an occasional basis, but b&m seville is a scent I'll never get tired of.
I completely forgot about Seville! I actually had a sample of it, and while I thought it was good, I preferred my Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe sample. Thanks for the input though.
I voted other as well and my pick is Stirling Barbershop.

I would revisit the soap IMO it is s a soft and easy to lather. Try face lathering.
You guys have me considering giving Stirling another chance. I do recall that I only tried bowl lathering Stirling the last go around. The only thing that somewhat concerns me is that from what I've read on here, the scent of Stirling isn't very much like Strop Shoppe's or others. What say you?

I've only tried Stirling, Tiki, Shannon's and Mystic Water. I prefer Mystic Water. Smells like Stirling but easier to lather.

I just finished up a sample of Stirling's Barbershop and it doesn't lather as well as Strop Shoppe (not many do) and the scent is mild. I voted for Mike's as I put it a touch ahead of Stirling in performance and miles in scent.

Good day gentlemen! I've got a little cash in my PayPal account to blow...err spend...and I'm interested in picking up a barbershop scented soap and aftershaving product. I'll preface by saying that my experience with barbershop is limited to Strop Shoppe's SE Barbershoppe soap, and I really enjoyed the scent and performance. I have several of their shaving soap offerings. I've been perusing the Maggard Razors site and came across their London Barbershop tallow shaving soap and matching aftershave. Reviews are promising, but I'm wondering if the soap measures up to Strop Shoppe's. I have a couple of Maggard's non-tallow soaps (Limes & Bergamot and Orange Menthol,) and really like them as well, but probably a notch just below Strop Shoppe IMHO. I suppose I could order the Strop Shoppe soap and Maggard Aftershave? How about Mike's? I've heard great things about it as well, but haven't used any of his soaps. Let's take a vote! Comments are obviously encouraged and welcomed.

Mama Bears' Ye Olde Barbershoppe soap has a butterscotch scent. Really nice.

Voted other as I use Stirling's Barbershop. I hand lather and use the following loading technique.

1) before showering I put just enough water on top of the soap to see it sheen but not puddle in the center

2) I shake out the brush before loading

3) I load for 45 to 60 seconds

4) I hand lather and add water as needed to get the consistency my face likes the best. (Stirling can be a thirsty soap...)

Top Bottom