What's new

Merkur 34C long handled equivalent?

Can anyone advise on a longer handled equivalent of the Merkur 34C? I thought it might be the 38C (barber pole), but that is not the case. The 38C gives a milder shave. Not as close as the 34C HD for me.

+1

Exact same heads. All Merkur SB heads except slants and adjustables are the same.

I've wondered about this. Do the two-piece and three-piece Merkurs have the same head? It would make sense but then again they might use different molds. But even if they use different molds, why would they change?

You can always mix and match heads. I use a Merkur 34c head with a Weber stainless steel handle. Longer and heavier then the original 34c handle.

You can always mix and match heads. I use a Merkur 34c head with a Weber stainless steel handle. Longer and heavier then the original 34c handle.

You can't mix and match a 34C or 38C, or 37C or 39C with another three-piece razor because they are two-piece razors where the baseplate is fixed to the handle.

$Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
The 34C and the 38C have the exact same head.

+2 I haven't noticed much of a difference with between these two as the 38C would even be heavier than the 34C, I believe, so they should provide the same shave. You may just have to adjust your technique to get used to the longer hanlde, possibly.
Good luck.

Yup, AFAIK the heads are the same.

Thanks! I've always wondered this. There is of course a lot of side-by-side comparison of the 34C/38C, 37C/39C, but I've seen very little comparison of Merkur's two-piece and three-piece razors. It would stand to reason that they would be the same.

To the OP's point, I've always found that my shaves with either the 38C or the 39C to be more inconsistent than with the 34C or the 37C. I think the handle's length and weight either make it balance back to the handle (i.e. away from the head), making the shaves less aggressive or I would find that because of the added weight away from the head, I would apply more presure, causing more irritation and weepers. Personally I think the 34C is a great razor.

Sorry i miss posted. I have the 33c, which has a 34c head on a smaller handle and is a three piece design. I use this with a Weber stainless handle.

Interesting feedback. Seems like all think the 34C and 38C heads are the same. I'll have to try some more with the 38C which I've tried off and on for over a week. Have done a couple of days with 38C then one with 34C. The HD always gives me closer shaves using same number of passes and the same blade. I'll have to pay close attention to see if the angle at which I'm holding the longer 38C is the culprit.

However, with all that said, it's interesting that the 34C is rated as having a 0.71mm blade gap while the 38C comes in at 0.64mm gap (see the B&B Shave Wiki blade gap chart). If that reference table is accurate, then the heads must differ somehow after all.

+2 I haven't noticed much of a difference with between these two as the 38C would even be heavier than the 34C, I believe, so they should provide the same shave. You may just have to adjust your technique to get used to the longer hanlde, possibly.
Good luck.
+3

When in doubt, go to the source. I contacted Dovo and they confirmed the heads on the 34C (HD) and 38C (Barber Pole) are identical.
This would indicate then that the blade gap measurement difference between these two razors that is shown in our shave wiki (0.71 vs 0.64 mm) is due to measurement errors, too small a sample size (1 each?), or both.
Finally, I've been working on my technique with the 38C and find I am now getting the same BBS shave with my 38C as I do with the HD. I think I was initially holding the longer handle exactly the same way as I did the shorter one which led to a shallower exposure of the blade.

Thanks for confirming that the heads are the same. It's always been anecdotally accepted but never confirmed. Also in glad to hear you're getting good shaves from the 38c. That was my first razor and I always liked it but I now like the shorter handled razors; I just find them to be a little bit more maneuverable.

However, with all that said, it's interesting that the 34C is rated as having a 0.71mm blade gap while the 38C comes in at 0.64mm gap (see the B&B Shave Wiki blade gap chart). If that reference table is accurate, then the heads must differ somehow after all.
Nope. Measurement error. Consider that the difference in those measurements 0.07mm That's 7 hundredths of a millimeter. What was the margin of error for the one taking the measurements?

Any difference you perceive is due to the handle and the operator.

Top Bottom