What's new

Gave the Gillette Blue it's due and.

Worst razor I've tried so far. Popped it in my R41 for Monday's shave. It felt like my hairs were being tugged around. Proper prep as usual and nothing different. Gave it a fair shot. Even put it in my Merkur today. Still rough and uncomfortable. I can't wait to try the silver blue on Monday. Here's to hoping me t weeks run goes better than this week's. If not, here's to...( insert reccomendations here)

Worst razor I've tried so far. Popped it in my R41 for Monday's shave. It felt like my hairs were being tugged around. Proper prep as usual and nothing different. Gave it a fair shot. Even put it in my Merkur today. Still rough and uncomfortable. I can't wait to try the silver blue on Monday. Here's to hoping me t weeks run goes better than this week's. If not, here's to...( insert reccomendations here)

As far as Teflon coated blades go GSBs are my favourite!

I tried a GSB today, decent, but not as smooth as Feather and Med Prep blades, IMO. I'll try the second shave with it tomorrow and see what it is like. Good luck with your quest!

Since you mention both the Gillette Blues and the Silver Blue, are the Blues the old carbon steel blades?

I'm convinced of that razor blades are the number one YMMV shaving related product. In addition, I think that YMMV actually varies within ourselves as well. For example, I used to love the personna lab blues, but over time, I have come to love the Russian Blades out of Saint Petersburg. Now when I go to a lab blue, it fills dull. Go figure. Anyways GSBs are still currently number 1 in my book!

Love the GSB blade. They are the best blade for me in my three razors (EJ3D, 39C, WR1-OC).
Med Prep a close second.

I'm convinced blades make up, at most, 5-10% of the shave. As long as it is reasonably fresh, I've never noticed a real difference in any razor. There is a lot of variation in razor head design. There just isn't much mechanical difference between blades, all of which are the same size and shape. I can understand how different metal mixes might affect longevity, but I don't see where it is likely to make a big difference in the quality of a shave. But then, my current shave soap looks like this:

proxy.php

Maybe if I used a brush and proper shaving soap, I'd discover a difference. But then, shave soap that runs $4 for 18 oz of goodness may be worth keeping...

I'm convinced of that razor blades are the number one YMMV shaving related product. In addition, I think that YMMV actually varies within ourselves as well. For example, I used to love the personna lab blues, but over time, I have come to love the Russian Blades out of Saint Petersburg. Now when I go to a lab blue, it fills dull. Go figure. Anyways GSBs are still currently number 1 in my book!

I agree with every bit of this. I'm not all that impressed with the labs, and I find Astras and GSBs to be the most consistent blades I've got. GSB is my current favorite, with Feather and then Astra fairly close behind.

I've been trying different blades for the last 3 months and I just tried the GSBs a few days ago. I completely agree! I've never had any lucky with SS or Teflon coated blades. It probably wasn't the worse blade I've tried, but it was definitely in the top 5. Just ripped my face to shreds.

I've since gone back to my trusty, go-to Astra SPs and have had nothing but flawless, BBS shaves since.

Top Bottom