What's new

I bought a coticule and it arrived today

So finally after many weeks my purchase has arrived. It came from Germany and the seller said he lives close to the Belgium border. It looks to be very old and after lapping it, it appears to be a nice piece. Some of the lines running through it actually look much smaller and fainter then before lapping. It took a good hour on my DMT 325 to get it flat, then I used wet sandpaper and finally a coticule bout. you can see the back side of the stone and it fits really nice in the hand. It is roughly 4 by 4 1/2 inches and is one inch thick. I'll try it out tomorrow when I have some time.

4x4 in the hand is a great way to go. You might find circles a good way to get the bulk done, then finish with light xstrokes.

S

Scoti

Interesting I've never seen a coticule like that. Usually they come with a piece of slate or BBW attached to the back. I really enjoy my bout. It's only a # 8 but it has the perfect size the fits the whole blade length on its width and makes hand honing a breeze. I personally just use back and forth strokes and it works well. Getting HHT-3 off the stone and BBS shaves. I bet you will like yours and it will give you amazing shaves also.

Interesting I've never seen a coticule like that. Usually they come with a piece of slate or BBW attached to the back. I really enjoy my bout. It's only a # 8 but it has the perfect size the fits the whole blade length on its width and makes hand honing a breeze. I personally just use back and forth strokes and it works well. Getting HHT-3 off the stone and BBS shaves. I bet you will like yours and it will give you amazing shaves also.

A lot of really old cotis are thicker and have no backing. Sometimes set in paddles. I have a no backing coti in a coffin box dated 1875. It is a natural combo but all tan coticule. It is mostly a brownishh that transitions to bedrock or whatever which is lighter colored while being finer & faster cutting.

Here are some examples:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The older bouts where not glued to BBW/Slate.

Yours looks very nice, congrats!

Greets Sebastian.

I took a razor and ran it across a glass bottle to dull the edge to start with. I started with just water and it wouldn't auto slurry and I couldn't get it to pop arm hair after ten minutes or so. I then created a slurry with a small bout and after five or so minutes I started to dilute it. After diluting it with a drop of water every few strokes and then just plain water for a couple minutes I tested it again and it was popping hair. Not great mind you but still popping hair so it just needs more time on the slurry. It seems like a nice stone. It should make a nice finisher I hope. I'll do some more honing with it tonight and I'll give it a shave test.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Love it. I have a LD about that size with similar red blushing. Yours looks like a really nice piece

Well the shave test went well. I still need to work it out some more but it shaved ok and it will only get better from here. I do notice that my face felt much different then with other shaves. Not sure what it is that's different, but it's a much different "feel" then I've ever had. Interesting though and not in a bad way either I should say.

Good news! I got it. I was watching a Gary Haywood video and I noticed that when he was honing I heard a squeak. Almost like when your doing dishes and you rub your finger on a clean wet plate and it makes that sound. And you can't make that sound without pressure. Not barring down on it but a little. So I made a thick slurry and started with small circles and half strokes and it build a dark grey slurry fairly quickly with some pressure this time (I was honing very very light like I thought I was supposed to). Once it was really dark I added a drop of water and continued with the same circles and half strokes. After 5 dilutions I dipped the razor is a glass of water, swished some of the slurry off and continued with it. I did that twice more then washed the stone off and the razor and used just water and like x-strokes. It was very sharp at this point. Popping hairs a few mm off my arm. After I stropped it I could finally do a HHT on the heel, middle and toe. It shaved very nicely and I'm very happy with the results. I honed another razor (just to be sure it wasn't a fluke) the same way and it turned out great . Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

S

Scoti

Good news! I got it. I was watching a Gary Haywood video and I noticed that when he was honing I heard a squeak. Almost like when your doing dishes and you rub your finger on a clean wet plate and it makes that sound. And you can't make that sound without pressure. Not barring down on it but a little. So I made a thick slurry and started with small circles and half strokes and it build a dark grey slurry fairly quickly with some pressure this time (I was honing very very light like I thought I was supposed to). Once it was really dark I added a drop of water and continued with the same circles and half strokes. After 5 dilutions I dipped the razor is a glass of water, swished some of the slurry off and continued with it. I did that twice more then washed the stone off and the razor and used just water and like x-strokes. It was very sharp at this point. Popping hairs a few mm off my arm. After I stropped it I could finally do a HHT on the heel, middle and toe. It shaved very nicely and I'm very happy with the results. I honed another razor (just to be sure it wasn't a fluke) the same way and it turned out great . Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Hey, I've seen this post before somewhere ;p

Top Bottom