What's new

Soap/Cream Question

so easy for me.....I used to be a cream guy....and Proraso red, blue, and green ruled the roost.

but now I am almost always using Mitchell's Wool Fat....probably over 90% of all my shaves are with the Fat....it lathers so nicely for me with all my brushes...silky smooth lather that warmed up in my scuttle can actually make me sigh with the way it feels when it hits my face (I know, it's kind of embarrassing when I have to say it) :001_huh:

the tallow and lanolin leave my face feeling so good post shave that every time I use another cream or soap I actually miss the Fat....and the thing is, that the more you use it on consecutive days the better you face feels....I would be happy using it every day forever.

all that being said, there are a lot of soaps I haven't tried like MdC or even Tabac....Tabac is on my short list....but then again I find it hard to believe that any soap would make me happier than the Fat

Last edited:
At this moment, I would have to say B&M Seville. Great scent, easy to lather, and great performance.
I may give another answer if asked a month from now, so many great soaps.

Proraso green. Scent is only ok, but the performance is awesome. I used it this morning and it left me wondering why I don't just stop buying soaps and use Proraso full time. When I need a great shave without any weepers, I grab the Proraso.

Probably Taylor Of Old Bond Street (TOBS) Mr. Taylor....slick smooth. excellent smell and gives great shaves consistently. Also in love with the Razorock products. I could live with Razorock Classic CROAP and not have any problems at all.

It took me a few shaves to warm up to my XPEC cream, which is really a hard soap, in my opinion. If I soak a badger or boar, drain it of all the water I can, put a tablespoon of water on top of the soap, and load the brush until bubbles form, I can transfer the brush to my scuttle, add about a teaspoon of water, and create an unequaled lather. I would have mentioned the great lather quality and scent, but the sentence was already too long.

TOBS....either Eaton College or Lemon Lime. Great scent and lathers well in a bowl or on the face. A very close second would be Bigelow.

Probably MWF- I have used many soaps which perform as well but for an every day driver I would want something with minimal scent.

PdP, no contest. Easily my best performing soap, maybe tied with XXX, but the neutral scent means I can use it with pretty much any aftershave. Best post-shave of anything I own to boot.

Would have said Macca Root or Cade, but started sampling D.R. Harris. Might change my mind.
Doubt you will get a consensus, or even a majority. It's as individual as blades and brushes.
Variety! It's keeps it interesting for me..

Top Bottom