What's new

Alternative to the Razor in picture

This picture shows an old and poorly plated open comb razor, but for some reason is an excellent shaver for me. It gives impressive BBS every single time, and regardless of the poor plating that is causing a bit of unpleasant glide of the teeth I love the effectiveness of this razor. It does feel aggressive, but at the end of the shave my face looks better then with any other milder razor that I shaved with.

Now comes the question: what razors do you think that are the most similar to the one in the picture, especially in the angle the blade makes with the safety bar and blade exposure. Probably not very easy to estimate, but people with more experience regarding aggressive razors most likely would recognize something similar.

Here is the picture:

proxy.php

Yeah, maybe a Fatip or Muhly R41!

If you like it, you should consider having it replated so it would look awesome and you can still enjoy the shaves!

It is not only the plating being bad is also the head and the safety bar being a bit distorted and they are a pain to put in proper position. It just takes too much effort to put it together and fix the blade in proper position.

I tried to see a few pictures, and indeed fatip does look fairly similar. If I were to go a step down in aggressiveness what would be my best choice?

It just takes too much effort to put it together and fix the blade in proper position.

Probably best to give the FaTip a miss then, as this is one of its "features" (or at least it is in the two I own). I don't have alignment issues with my ATT H2 & I find it smoother than my FaTips, but similar in aggression / efficiency.

Good luck in your search. I don't want to be negative, but if we could look at a razor and tell if it could give us a BBS there would be no such a thing as RAD.

Re-plating/adjustment is kind of out of question due to the fact that even if I do move the blade by hand, the blade exposure cannot be set equal. The best I can do is as you see in the picture with the side towards the camera being more exposed. It cannot be set equal due to defects in the way the cap sits on the safety bar component. I actually ask myself how is it possible that I can get comfortable shaves from a razor with so many problems.

If I really cannot find any alternative (which I doubt) I will consider sending it for replating.

Good luck in your search. I don't want to be negative, but if we could look at a razor and tell if it could give us a BBS there would be no such a thing as RAD.

Hehe, I perfectly understand your point, however, the very low experience with various razors makes it kind of impossible for me to estimate the range of aggressiveness where to start searching. The only one I tested so far is Merkur 25c which is way too mild for me.
I honestly thought at start that the razor in picture is middle road in aggressiveness but now that I seen so many pointing towards fatip/r41/att h2, it kind of sets a zone for me to start searching. Now the only thing I still want to find out is what would be the middle range of aggressiveness for open combs, just a step lower from those pointed in this thread. And no offence, letting my rad take over and buy all those without trying to make a selection and a plan is really not an option for me financially speaking, regardless of how awesome and fun is to keep testing things.

Forgot to add, I don't mind that much putting the blade in the correct exposure with a proper razor. The one in the picture simply cannot be put evenly and takes a few tries to make sure that I achieved the closest to even exposure, for the simple reason that the defect in the shape is making it very hard to.

Last edited:
If you would like to get it replated, I would research any vendor carefully (both on this site and others).

Having said that, Christ at Razorplate.com has replated razors for me and has uniformly excellent reviews.

I don't have a new yet, but I started to search a bit for information about how exactly to find a good new.

When I saw your photo, I was immediately reminded of the razor I use most often, and is my unquestionable favorite: my ATT H2 open comb. I have no RAD, largely due to this razor.

Top Bottom