What's new

Switching from a Shavette to a Straight Razor

So I'm getting married in a couple of months, and as groomsmen gifts, I'm preparing wet shave starter kits. For 2 of my groomsmen, I'm including safety razors. For my brother/best man, I was planning on including a straight razor and leather and balsa strops. He's been using a Dovo Shavette for a couple of years. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the ease of transition from a shavette to a straight razor. Any common problems, etc? I got him a vintage Sheffield off of eBay and just sent it out to be honed so it is shave-ready.

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials!

I found the technique the same. The straight to be more forgiving. The prep and care of the straight is more involved.

Congrats.

As with imatabor's comments: the shavette is an unforgiving and merciless instructor. I found the skip to traditional straight to be very easy as it was far more forgiving: I felt as though I could manhandle it around my face in comparison. If anything: I found that it didn't feel as keen as the shavette but, in the end, was just as effective.

+1 for the comments by imatabor and SpikedLemon, particularly the "merciless instructor" comment.

Cheers, George

hmmm. John just sent me a Shavette, and after reading this the intimidation is even higher LOL was going to test run it tonight, but may wait till the weekend, that way if I screw up I wont look like a Zombie to my clients, plus the waiting lines at the Emergency room might be shorter LOL

I used a shavette for 7 years! Thought it was great til I used a real straight! Ignorance is bliss! No comparison for me anyway. Big difference in skin friendly and overall shave quality.

I used a shavette for 7 years! Thought it was great til I used a real straight! Ignorance is bliss! No comparison for me anyway. Big difference in skin friendly and overall shave quality.

A "real straight" is more user friendly, but I think that only the best honemeisters can achieve the sharpness of a Feather blade. While the AC is a spiteful mistress, IMHO perservence will prevail with a super close shave.

Cheers, George

I bought a Dovo shavette a few days after the DE i got to get started with, funny thing is I've barely used the DE! I've personally found it easier to handle, I also prefer the longer blades and have nicked myself less with it, even though my technique still sucks with both.

I started out using a shavette a year or so ago, and learned the technique fairly well before I decided I wanted to go all-out with straight razors. So I got my first straight, and the difference was huge, though not at all was it hard to adjust my technique. I think shavettes are tricky, you must be so much more careful because of the unmuted edge of the razors, the sharpness, the rigid fix the blade has, and the thickness of the blade. A straight is more forgiving since the points are muted (unless you have a pointed edge of course), their not allways as sharp, the blade isn't as rigid (I've only used full hollow ground or half-hollow, a wedge probably reminds more of a shavette in that sense) and the blade is thinner. So I'd say getting him a straight razor is a good choice and that he probably doesn't have to worry about adjusting the technique! Though I know many prefer the exactness of a shavette I prefer the more "organic" straight razor (and they look better too)!

I switched from shavette to a straight and I agree whole heartedly the shavette is an unforgiving and merciless instructor. My time with the styptic pencil was reduced dramatically after switching to the straight. However, and this could be due to my form and lack of experience, my shaves require more passes to be as close as they were with the shavette. This I am sure depends on the honing of the straight as well as my inexperience but for me I need to lather up a third or fourth time compared to just two with the shavette. Last a difference I noticed was my comfortable angle, I angle the straight much closer to my face. This has led to much less cuts and scars, again could just be experience, but the width of the straight just lends to me using a closer angle.

Obviously time is a factor for using the straight vs the shavette, especially when starting. My stropping is still way slower than any youtube video but I am fine with that. I'd recommend he keep the shavette and a stock of blades for a. when he has less time to shave and b. makes traveling much easier since don't need to bring a strop with you.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If he's been using a shavette already, then the transition to a traditional straight will be a piece of cake. I say "traditional" instead of " a real straight" as a shavette is also a real straight in my book. Stropping and honing will be the only things he'll need to pick up. Learning to strop will come very easily (it has to! :tongue_sm ) and honing is optional as he can always send the blade out.

I started shaving with a Dovo shavette a month ago. I did very well from the get go. Was able to do WTG, ATG and XTG by the 4th shave. At the 15th shave, I was able to shave my head without mirrors. During these shaves, I very rarely nicked myself and they were very tiny ones. So, it was then that I decide to get a traditional straight with only 15 shavette shaves under my belt. I received my Dovo special 5/8 full hollow razor last week and have 3 shaves using 3 passes. I didn't cut myself. Personally, the transition from shavette to straight was like a walk in the park. I also use safety razors just to change things a bit. As of this evening, I have 18 shavette and 3 straight shaves. I want to even out my shavette and straight shaves. My goal is 100 shaves for each razor.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I "learned" (had a few shaves) with shavette first before trying a straight, but in real terms I'm still a learner with both - and use them so infrequently, I will probably consider myself a learner for several years (no carry over between shaves, as they're not consecutive, and potentially weeks apart). However, in my limited experience, I'd sum it up by saying the handling is essentially the same, although the straight feels smoother but is more "hassle" off the face (honing, stropping etc). I'll continue to do both, but only on an occasional basis.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My experience differs, and I think he may have some learning curves to go through, mostly the fact that the traditional straight may be less sharp and harder to go ATG, and his technique may prematurely dull the edge. Being able to toss in a new blade in the shavette/feather AC is a luxury traditional straights don’t afford.

Top Bottom