What's new

First Shave With Feather Artist Club SS

I like the Super blade!

It is certainly more aggressive than the Professional blade, I assume from protruding about a millimeter further from the razor. But, for my skin/beard type (fair, sensitive skin/dense, stiff whiskers), it is noticeably more efficient. With good technique, a Super is no harder to use than the Pro. I will have a hard time going back and using the 19 remaining Pro blades now.....

Next, I'm looking to buy or trade some gear for a DX, to see if it shaves my beard more efficiently than does the SS.

I don't know if this helps but when I install a new Feather Professional blade in mine I gently drag the blade against a pink pencil erasers' edge once or twice with weight of the blade only. If you do this any more you may dull the razor prematurely. But this can help add a touch of forgiveness to the blade.

I was away since Thursday at hockey and soccer tournaments. I just got home with a nice four day beard on my face. I'll see what the FAC can do tomorrow...

I have an old style SS kamisori waiting for me... No bump, no spring. more like a DX with a friction lever. Should be interesting, I just shaved with my folding AC SS this morning and actually had a rather easy time even though I'm primarily a kamisori style guy.

No FAC shave today. Too pressed for time and have to get up really early for work the next few days. It'll be DE shaving until Saturday.

I have had 10 days straight on the SS. I cant seem to pick up the DE right now. I had a couple of days on the CJB Kamisori at the beginning and one in the middle. It's way more aggressive than the AC. I think i like the folder better, just for traditions sake. I assume it shaves like the feather DX. It's just significantly more aggressive feeling. It's somewhat akin to an R41 vs a Weber or DE89. You can just feel the blade more. I pitched the first blade after 10+ shaves. A new pro goes in tomorrow in the SS. The last one started it's life in the CJB. More to come.

Got this in Monday afternoon. Two shaves with a Feather Super. Old style SS. $20150415_075901.jpg
this should tide my Shavette AS for a bit.

Nice razor! So, this particular one doesn't have the ridge along the edge? I am anxious to try a DX or an RG, for that very reason...No bump/ridge, and more of true straight razor profile.

Had my first shave tonight. Went very well. Was able to shave my cheeks and neck using my SS non folding.

I had to use my Merkur 34c HD to shave my moustache and chin areas as I was not confident and didn't want to cut myself.

I have some supers on the way as I have a coarse beard, but found the professional blades to be pretty good.

I have about 2 weeks of shaves with my non-folding SS behind me, and I definitely prefer the super blades over the professionals. I also have a coarse beard (and very fair skin). Stretch your skin tightly, use light but confident strokes, and the SS will reward you handsomely. I suspect that your learning curve will occur over several weeks if you have not used traditional straights in the past. Conversely, after mastering the Feather straight, a traditional straight, properly honed, will be a piece of cake (if you ever decide to take the plunge).

Yes, when I posted the pic I had just done my 2nd shave. I used Supers on it right out of the gate. I wish this had some jimping or file work where my index finger is. I'm not too thrilled on the soft silicone type of handle. I do love the razor head, but I do not think I will be able to take it apart without a small screwdriver. It's my favorite Feather/CJB razor. I think I might actually like the Feather AC SS as a kamisori if I wrap the handle in cord.

Shaved using my FAC SS this morning. Fantastic. I had been working early mornings as well as some weekend traveling for my kids' sports, so it was all DEs for a bit. First shave back with the FAC (using a Kai Titan mild blade) and it was smooth, close and comfortable. I had a 3 day beard going which made it even more satisfying. I continue to be impressed with this razor.

I missed a non-folding Feather DX last night on eBay, by just 18 cents. I forgot the end time of the auction, and someone beat me out! I really like the SS, but I have a gut feeling that I will like a DX better, because of the narrower profile. Does anyone know how a Kai non-folding (the $130 one, not the $260 Excelia) compares? I really hate to spend so much money on a DX Feather, perhaps just to find an imperceptible difference from the SS.

I've always struggled to make the ligbt blades work in the SS. the blade exposure doesn't work correctly so i've been using just pro blades snd getting good results

The oval shaped pics to the right of each blade shows blade exposure.

Thanks for posting that. I've been using Kai Titan Mild blades and I'm conflicted as to whether I prefer these over the Feather ProGuards. I'll eventually have to try the Professionals.

Top Bottom