What's new

Any barbershop quartet enthusiasts?

Been singing in choir since I was a wee nine-year-old, and I love it more every year! Going through the transition from a childs to a mans voice have been very interesting (and continues to be, not done yet), and I've come to love singing in all-male ensambles. I just enjoy the way it sounds and also the way it is a good alternative to sports or more common "manly" hobbies to bond over and express brotherhood. Going back to a more sensitive and artistic image of manliness and male friendship in this way is a good thing I think. Singing some old classic swedish nationalromantic songs with my friends is one of my favorite things to do.
I encountered the barbershop culture when learning how to wet shave, and being a guy who loves the estethics of the Belle Epoque and pre-world war USA and have sung for most of his life, barbershop quartets had a natural appeal to me. I think the first barbershop song I very much stuck to is the cover of the Beach Boys God Only Knows by a group called the Bee Sharps as it appeared in the fantastic game Bioshock Infinite. It kinda struck me right in the sweet spot when you were exploring this flying super-american city in the clouds and a flying machine comes by with a barbershop quartet on it and they start singing jwhile humming birds flies around you. A magic moment the like of which I've seldom come across in other games. I've later looked up the sheet music for that specific piece and sung it with my friends (great times) and ever since I want to sing even more barbershop. Maybe I'll find me a quartet some day!
I also listen to the music and often whilst I shave I play some barbershop quartet tunes to get in that perfect barbershop atmosphere! I think Vocal Spectrum are an excellent quartet, their Disney covers are just gold, and Go the Distance from hercules just gives me the shivers everytime (seriously, listen to it).
So anyways, any other singers here? Some favourite quartets/songs in the genre?
And here's a link to the God Only Knows cover for anyone interested
HTML:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ogV49WGco

I don't seem to see as much of it as I used to. We had a priest a few years back who was part of one and he really loved it.

Yeah not that common maybe, goes in waves of popularity it seems. But on the other hand not many sings in choirs or at all to start with.
People should however, great times!

I've sung in choral groups in high school, college, and beyond. I was a member of a 100-man barbershop chorus for a number of years...a lot of fun, and what a sound! :001_smile

I've sung in choral groups in high school, college, and beyond. I was a member of a 100-man barbershop chorus for a number of years...a lot of fun, and what a sound! :001_smile
I found us on YouTube! I was on stage for this...what a blast!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say I'm "into" it but I've always appreciated it when I've heard it. But you got me with the Bioshock reference... I agree completely, that was an amazing moment! That whole game had so much nuance like that, its a true gaming gem that I don't know if it was appreciated enough!

I do have a suggestion of something for you to watch, if you've never seen it. Check out The Music Man movie, the 1962 classic with Robert Preston. Its a great musical all around, but a barbershop quartet is an integral part of it all. Here's a sample:

[video]https://youtu.be/nO0DFttQoJc[/video]

That's some A-grade singing, Shiloh! And that clip from The Music Man is awesome, exactly what singing in chorus does to people!

Top Bottom