What's new

lkon Razor Quality

I've got 3 iKon Razors:

2013 OSS Stainless Steel
Open Comb w/ Cerakote
new Slant w/ teflon coating (incoming this week).

The 2 that I've owned have been outstanding razors and when paired with my beloved iKon Bulldog handle are my favourite razors (along with my Feather AS-D2).

i love my ikons. but i hate the coatings. now i am not singling ikon out here i dislike coatings period. they can scratch and chip etc. i will never sell any of my older ikons without the dlc coating. the quality for me has been near perfect. the only issues i had was a few VERY tiny nicks (and i mean super tiny) on a couple of the oss handles (which were not seconds). now i know he is not liked on this board but when i did have a issue he advanced shipped me a replacement before i even mailed the old one out. and when i did have a top plate with a minor scratch on it he replaced it and told me to keep the old one. i know MANY people do not like him or have had some issue but i have just not seen it myself.

i love my ikons. but i hate the coatings. now i am not singling ikon out here i dislike coatings period. they can scratch and chip etc. i will never sell any of my older ikons without the dlc coating. the quality for me has been near perfect. the only issues i had was a few VERY tiny nicks (and i mean super tiny) on a couple of the oss handles (which were not seconds). now i know he is not liked on this board but when i did have a issue he advanced shipped me a replacement before i even mailed the old one out. and when i did have a top plate with a minor scratch on it he replaced it and told me to keep the old one. i know MANY people do not like him or have had some issue but i have just not seen it myself.

I think the DLC's had their issues, but my Cerakote coated head has been flawless. Fingers crossed on the new Teflon coating!

why do they insist on coating their razors? i just don't understand.

Great question! The 2 best reasons I can come up with are:

1. - Lower production costs by coating instead of other methodology.
2. - Style and looks. Something different.

Maybe both?

Peace!

Great question! The 2 best reasons I can come up with are:

1. - Lower production costs by coating instead of other methodology.
2. - Style and looks. Something different.

Maybe both?

Peace!

Actually here is a few more reasons:

Tea staining on metal finishes is a problem (especially if you leave your blades in your razors).
Tuff soap scum can be a chore to remove from metal finishes.

I have two IKON second generation SS O/C's (matt and shiny finishes), both of which I think are the best razors I have ever used (and I have accumulated quite a collection), also, two IKON second generation straight bars, which I find to be too mild for my tastes. I also have an IKON all stainless slant, an all stainless two sided (o/c on one side and s/b on the other), and an Ikon Pils copy which I do not use much. I recently bought an IKON DLC O/C and also a few open comb plates. I like the coating - both the way it looks and how it performs. However, I do not think that the coated O/C is the exact same design as the 2nd generation O/C. Close, but not exactly the same - the coated IKON O/C seems to be a bit milder than the 2nd generation O/C. In answer to the OP's question, I find the quality of IKON razors to be pretty good. I also have a Mongoose, which seems to be perfection in terms of quality (although the bomber handles are a bit too much for me), and also a Weber DLC coated head SS razor which I think is also pretty good, a PILS, which I also find to be close to perfect, and a Feather A/S which is very well made but too mild for me. Good luck and I hope that you find one that you both enjoy looking at and using.

Last edited:

Tea staining on metal finishes is a problem (especially if you leave your blades in your razors).

How do you get rid of tea staining on a stainless razor or can't you?

I think the DLC's had their issues, but my Cerakote coated head has been flawless. Fingers crossed on the new Teflon coating!

There seems to be some confusion, or at least confusion on my part of the different coatings:
As far as I know:

1 silver matte coating
3-4 black coatings: DLC, Cerakote, B1 and now Teflon?

Getting solid, confirmed information has been difficult.

Fair enough! Add 2 more to the list.

I've got 3 iKon Razors:

2013 OSS Stainless Steel
Open Comb w/ Cerakote
new Slant w/ teflon coating (incoming this week).

The 2 that I've owned have been outstanding razors and when paired with my beloved iKon Bulldog handle are my favourite razors (along with my Feather AS-D2).

My experience to date has been positive also. Milder than my other razors, but a nice change. A little variety never hurts. The weight and feel seems comparable to other high-end SS razors and the coatings don't seem to perform differently, relative to polished or brushed non-coated stainless.

Peace!

Last edited:
I have one of every ikon made and was pleased. When the slant was offered I promptly ordered one directly from ikon with the DLC HEAD. It promptly began to shed the coating in flakes, numerous emails to ikon went unanswered. A very expensive razor with no support by the manufacturer. I will add that the fit and finish of the ikon razors has declined over time, the polishing and machining got worse, knurling got rougher.
I will never again buy another ikon product, the owner demonstrates no integrity or honest commercial dealing.

+1 I have the matte silver end cap & the Deluxe Open Comb & Standard base plates & I have never had rust/tea staining issues if I leave a wet blade inside.

I have the 1st generation (i.e. silver) Ikon Slant, which also has some form of coating & this suffers badly from rust, unless I oil the end cap & base plate, before inserting the blade.

The coating on both my Ikon heads still looks like new, with no scratches, or flaking. I am quite careful with my tools though.

One thing I would say, is that the pre-coated Slant head was not as well finished as my Deluxe/Standard head, with evidence of where the metal was poured into the casts being visible on the base plate, as these "lumps" had not been filed completely flush, before the coating was applied.

I have one of every ikon made and was pleased. When the slant was offered I promptly ordered one directly from ikon with the DLC HEAD. It promptly began to shed the coating in flakes, numerous emails to ikon went unanswered. A very expensive razor with no support by the manufacturer. I will add that the fit and finish of the ikon razors has declined over time, the polishing and machining got worse, knurling got rougher.
I will never again buy another ikon product, the owner demonstrates no integrity or honest commercial dealing.

I appreciate the response.

Top Bottom