What's new

lkon Razor Quality

Is the quality there? Are the different coatings top notch? Aside from any personal reasons relating to customer service, etc......, are they priced fairly for their quality, relative to other SS razors?

Thank You, Gentlemen

I believe so. Personally I'd rather they lost the coatings and just polished the steel, but I like the OC enough that I bought two of them.

I believe so. Personally I'd rather they lost the coatings and just polished the steel, but I like the OC enough that I bought two of them.

I also purchased 2 and I do like them. I was wondering about the coatings and how they hold up? I have tried getting opinions and write-ups via Google searches and basically come up with very little. I was holding off on posting this question here at B&B until I got better information outside the forum. It's very difficult to find reviews and opinions on the products. I guess B&B should have been my first source.

I have heard the Deluxe matte finish, which I believe is bead-blasted, is easily prone to tea-staining, if you leave a blade in it for long periods of time. As I understand it, the B1 finish is supposed to be a baked-in coating and the best coating to date. Other than this information, I have no idea if the coatings are going to crap out at some point. Other than the coating questions, they seem to be excellent, solid razors.

I have the matt OC and the B1. Opinions are divided on whether the matt is bead-blasted or coated somehow, I've seen people argue both with equal certainty. What I can tell you is that I've had the matt one for a couple of years and it still looks like new. After shaving I just rinse the razor, blow through the head and call it good, and I've had no issues with staining of any kind. The blade stays in until it's time to change it.

I've not had the B1 long enough to know how the coating will hold up, but iKon claim it's more durable than the DLC.

I have the matt OC and the B1. Opinions are divided on whether the matt is bead-blasted or coated somehow, I've seen people argue both with equal certainty.

I'm not sure about the divided opinions, but opinions are just that, opinions. The matte finish is a coating. IIRC, it even stated as such on the Ikon site, when they were the current model. It is definitely a different material than what's underneath. I removed the coating on mine and polished it. It's much nicer now, IMO.

Regarding the OP's question about quality, I'd rate the Ikon stainless-steel razors as the lowest quality stainless-steel razors that I've owned (which also include ATT, Weber, BBS-1, Mongoose SE). Ironically, the lower-priced (aluminum) ShaveCraft razors appear to be of higher-quality than their Ikon siblings. I have several Ikon razors and handles, BTW, so I'm not basing my opinions on one bad apple. YMMV, though, of course.

I've had the matt one for a couple of years and it still looks like new. After shaving I just rinse the razor, blow through the head and call it good, and I've had no issues with staining of any kind. The blade stays in until it's time to change it.

+1 I have the matte silver end cap & the Deluxe Open Comb & Standard base plates & I have never had rust/tea staining issues if I leave a wet blade inside.

I have the 1st generation (i.e. silver) Ikon Slant, which also has some form of coating & this suffers badly from rust, unless I oil the end cap & base plate, before inserting the blade.

The coating on both my Ikon heads still looks like new, with no scratches, or flaking. I am quite careful with my tools though.

One thing I would say, is that the pre-coated Slant head was not as well finished as my Deluxe/Standard head, with evidence of where the metal was poured into the casts being visible on the base plate, as these "lumps" had not been filed completely flush, before the coating was applied.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
proxy.php

I'd rate the quality as excellent, but I dislike the coatings. This is my OSS DLC:

proxy.php

Works fine, but I need to see if someone can remove the rest of the coating to make things even. Or have someone Cerakote it.

The designs are excellent. Razors go in easy and stay in place. For quality of build, apart from the coatings, I'd rate them equal to the Feather and ATT razors I own. I don't buy the "must be machined from a block of steel" argument.

The OC version that arrived a few days ago (Cerakote) feels like a slightly more aggressive OC version of the Feather AS-D2. It is well on the way to becoming my favorite razor. I paid $100 for the head alone (including shipping) since I have multiple handles. Compare that to the $175 paid for the Feather, and I'd call it a very good value.

I owned a Weber PH. I don't think it could compare to the iKons I've owned (including the Shavecraft 101) for quality of build or design.

I gather some folks dislike the owner. I've never met him. I've received email confirmations of my purchase quickly. He shipped the first day the Post Office opened. No problems. Maggard razors also carries them, and I've had excellent service from them too. The warranty is posted on the website. It does not cover cosmetic issues, and he won't exchange a razor because you decide it doesn't work for your face. I see nothing wrong with that approach.

I have several and the quality is very good on all of them. I especially like the B1 slant.

Do not get DLC. Get the B1 anodizing if you want a black razor. B1 does not chip, although it will wear away with heavy use, like any anodizing.

I like the Ikon razors myself, though like a few I'm not a huge fan of coatings and, as many others do, prefer polished SS every time. I managed to get hold of an Ikon Modern and an S3S over the last couple of months and absolutely love them ....... Especially as the S3S was sold as an SK9 with bad images; so I got a nice surprise when it arrived.

Solid, heavy razors ........ as I like 'em .......... Preferred my Merkur 39c Slant over Ikon's, though and sold it on........ wouldn't know how the newer batches shave compared to the earlier issues, but I couldn't get on with that one .........

The baby seal is cute, but I'm not sure I'm getting the inference. Taking a stab:

The razors are cutesy with the coatings, etc...
The razors are not very well made and soft like a seal...

Am I close?
Nope.

He's implying that buying an ikon razor is morally similar to clubbing a baby seal. He is urging people to NOT buy an ikon razor. It is overkill, but is probably also designed to be at least mildly amusing. This is ouch we are are talking about, after all.

Nope.

He's implying that buying an ikon razor is morally similar to clubbing a baby seal. He is urging people to NOT buy an ikon razor. It is overkill, but is probably also designed to be at least mildly amusing. This is ouch we are are talking about, after all.

I am not familiar with ouch, but I do like his avatar! I basically get the reference now. A strange reference indeed! I do like the razors, but don't have any immediate plans to club a seal.

Top Bottom