What's new

How many uses on a blade?

I consistently get 7 days out of my Gillette 7 O'Clock greens (SS). I follow the Gillette recommendations of old: rinse, dry the whole assembled razor. No need to disassemble or dry blade. I've never seen any rust on blade after a week. Not sure how 'water dulls blade' if it's not on the edge. Patting assembled razor dry takes care of water on exposed edge so the few drops remaining inside on the flat of the blade are irrelevant.

I understand why using them for only a couple shaves always feels very nice, but really, IF it was going to last all week or more, why toss it out early? On that same principle, it would be like painting my car every spring because winter was very hard on it.

I understand why using them for only a couple shaves always feels very nice, but really, IF it was going to last all week or more, why toss it out early? On that same principle, it would be like painting my car every spring because winter was very hard on it.

Repainting a car doesn't cost 20 cents. If it did I would do it every spring.

I understand, I'm just saying, regardless of price, why buy something to 'sort of' use then just throw away?

there's a fine line between wasting it and throwing it away for a more pleasant experience, I think.
If someone throws a blade away after 1 shave(except for people who destroys the blade after 1 shave), they are definitely wasting. But if someone just wants a more pleasant blade with a fresh blade after 2~3 shaves, it's perfectly fine because blades are cheap enough to forgo another shave and not break a bank.

it's all up to what you think is important.
Save a few pennies by squeezing in another shave or two VS using fresh blad to get the best shave.

Repainting a car doesn't cost 20 cents. If it did I would do it every spring.

Yes, but would you do it every day? At 20 cents a blade, if one were to replace it daily, assuming five shaves per week , 52 weeks per year, that equals $260 a year. In that scenario, just stretching out a blade's use by one extra shave would net an annual savings of $130 a year. Why waste that money if you don't need to?

That said, each additional shave saves exponentially less. Using the same parameters as above, stretching it to three shaves per blade would net roughly $43 more per year than discarding it after two shaves. Getting four shaves would net roughly only $22 more per year than discarding after three shaves. There's a point where squeezing out an extra shave probably isn't worth the additional savings, even if it were possible to keep using the blade.

I love the feel of a super sharp fresh blade. I get 2 shaves out of em then put a fresh blade in there. Wasteful, maybe. But how the hell else am I going to get through all the blades I bought?

I love the feel of a super sharp fresh blade. I get 2 shaves out of em then put a fresh blade in there. Wasteful, maybe. But how the hell else am I going to get through all the blades I bought?

LOL, I have to concur at least because I toss my blades prematurely because I want to try different blades.

Two face shaves and one head shave, so about three days per blade. Looking like $.22 a week with Astra Sp's. For me shaving my head really uses up a blade and going for a second is not very comfortable. Considering I was using two cartridges a week and getting poor shaves, I will forever call this a win.

I usually get 7 uses out of an Astra or Gillette yellow and 14 from a Personna red. After each shave I'll pat the blade dry with a towel and hand strop it. Sometimes I get extra bits of hair and soap off this way, other times the blade is clean after a rinse.
+1.... I hand strop also. Currently I have done 8 or 9 shaves on an Astra SS blade.

It is still cutting whiskers almost as if new! And yes I also dry my blades after each use.

2 shaves and out. Rarely 3. Blades are extremely cheap. For example, Astra costs only 0.10 cents a blade! 0,05 a shave. I think its very fair.

In the years I used twin blade cartridges, I found it inconvenient to pick up replacements at the store. Never did I have more than a few months supply on hand. I may have sometimes stretched out a cartridge for weeks but did not care if the shaves left a little stubble. I was not concerned with near-perfection. Now with it being something of a hobby, I have over 400 double-edge and 200 twin blade cartridges. I have been tossing the DEs after 4 or 5 shaves without noticing any serious degradation before doing so. I figure if I keep that up, or maybe stretch blade use to a week, then I still have enough DE stock for 5 to 7 years. If I occasionally go back to old twin blades, I am set for 10 years. With the occasional bouts of BAD, I may soon be set for life.

I've been getting two weeks on a Feather, with no real difference until the very end. And I'm not one of those soft-bearded guys, either. I can grow a decent beard in a week-but I never will, I love shaving too much.

I used to toss blades after 3 shaves. Recently I did 4 shaves on a Crystal blade and 5 on a Polsilver and I could have got more out of each. I have Astra SP, Astra SS, Feather, Gillette blue, Personnas and etc. Personally I see no reason to try to see how many shaves I can push a blade to. Blades are pretty reasonably priced so I will continue to use them 3 to 4 times and put a fresh blade in a different razor and continue the same routine.

Top Bottom