What's new

How many uses on a blade?

I'm curious how many uses do you guys get out of a blade?

I toss my blade after one use. ... I see that most of you guys get a couple shaves out of a single one...

Is it worth using a used blade? I mean they cost less than 10 cents each..

How do you guys dry them off? Water dulls the blade.

Is it worth using a used blade? I mean they cost less than 10 cents each.

You'll no doubt get a wide range of answers to your question. My proposal is you try it out and see how well a used blade shaves, per your own preferences. Then you'll have your answer as to whether or not it's worth it, for you. Consider this, though: even if you extend your blade life out to two shaves instead of one, you'll cut your blade expenditure in half.

Last edited:
2, maybe 3 at most. I am amazed that some guys get more than this. There are threads here where some get 20+ shaves on 1 blade. I have no idea how they do it. I just can't see how it's possible without serious diminished returns.

I will do 3 or 4 on and Astra Sp blade. On my Personnal Reds I will usually do 2 and toss. A lot depends on your beard type and how fast the blade will dull to where you get irritation. 2 is my usual limit on most blades except the Astra SP's . . . which I can get three great comfortable shaves on before I change the blade. They are so cheap that it doesn't matter - - - better than the carts for sure. When I was in high school (100 years ago it seems )- I used to toss the blade after 1 shave cuz that was just the way it was done. Of course, a pack of Gillette blues only cost about .25cents back then....(damn - giving my age away again ain't I <G>.

Last edited:
When I was in high school (100 years ago it seems )- I used to toss the blade after 1 shave cuz that was just the way it was done. Of course, a pack of Gillette blues only cost about .25cents back then....(damn - giving my age away again ain't I <G>.

It would be nice to go back and maybe stop at will, but alas, it's not to be. I don't remember 25 cents per pack, but pretty damn close. My, how things have changed.

Peace!

I read a post where a guy claimed to have 100+ shaves on a blade. I think it was on B&B, and I think the number of shaves was 118 or 120. I believe he was using some sort of vintage blade FWIW.

I read a post where a guy claimed to have 100+ shaves on a blade. I think it was on B&B, and I think the number of shaves was 118 or 120. I believe he was using some sort of vintage blade FWIW.
Hmmmm - and as the saying goes "if its on the internet it has to be true <G>..."either that, or someone has had electrolosys(SP) and has no beard to speak of. Can you imagine how DULL that blade would be......??????

Yes - it's quite accurate. I did 128 2 pass shaves on a NOS British Wilkinson blade. This was in no way a record ; the record is 105 4 pass shaves on the same NOS blade made by Turtle (Mick).

See here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/448783-128-shaves-on-a-NOS-Wilkinson-blade

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - it's quite accurate. I did 128 2 pass shaves on a NOS British Wilkinson blade. This was in no way a record ; the record is 105 4 pass shaves on the same NOS blade made by Turtle (Mick).
Yes, but you had Buddha in your corner! This might be considered cheating by some here at B&B.

P.S. - That Wilkinson blade looks like it may have been Buddha's from the old days. Shipped from England to India?

Last edited:
After reading about those who extend their shaves, per blade, I decided to try it myself.
I was able to get 14 shaves from an Astra SP, and 30 shaves from a Polsilver SI. These shaves were very comfortable, and smooth, until the last one. I did no stropping, or honing with the Polsilver. These shaves were buttery smooth.
If in doubt, read other members experiences, under Excalibur, in Clubs and Brotherhood. Very good read.

Yes, but you had Buddha in your corner! This might be considered cheating by some here at B&B.

P.S. - That Wilkinson blade looks like it may have been Buddha's from the old days. Shipped from England to India?
I definitely have a Buddha in my corner... :001_smile I do admit that focusing on your breath and shaving with your eyes closed is borderline cheating. :laugh:

The blade was bought new and stored for decades in extremely warm and dry conditions in the UK (!!) before I was gifted two tucks. The blade made it possible to double my usual number of shaves on a blade.

I usually get 7 uses out of an Astra or Gillette yellow and 14 from a Personna red. After each shave I'll pat the blade dry with a towel and hand strop it. Sometimes I get extra bits of hair and soap off this way, other times the blade is clean after a rinse.

With Shark Super Stainless blades I get 14 shaves.
I use it for 7 days on one side and then flip the blade over and use it for another week.

Top Bottom