What's new

Beautiful Black Tip will NOT TTO.

Ebay said stiff mechanism. It is frozen. It is soaking in hot mineral oil. I even used Rem Oil.

Can someone link the Cap video taking one apart? He has taken EVERYTHING apart right? :lol:

It is beautiful but frozen. Apparently used for a week in 1952 and never touched again.

Waahhh me.

Haven't used hot oil before.. Hot water and Dawn always worked for me. A little time in a ultrasonic cleaner doesn't hurt either..

Haven't used hot oil before.. Hot water and Dawn always worked for me. A little time in a ultrasonic cleaner doesn't hurt either..
+1 x 10 on the hot water, Dawn and u/s bath as first pass, though I've run into several frozen razors that still wouldn't loosen up and had to be disassembled. It's amazing the amount of crud that comes out of these vintage razors in the u/s bath....

I have a Super Speed that is stiff. I can see that the brass is corroded inside the TTO knob. I am trying a soak of hot water, dawn and a little vinegar to hopefully eat some of the corrosion. Hopefully it doesn't attack the nickel. I should have results when I get home from work today.

I wouldn't use vinagar. The acid can react with the brass. As already talked about, hot water with dish soap and an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Short vinegar soaks are okay, but keep it short. Jewelry cleaner can do wonders for corrosion crud, as well.

I've had some where the mechanism seems frozen, too, even after prolonged soaking. In the end, I've wrapped the razor thickly with a dishtowel, clamped the handle with a vice grip and grabbed hold of the TTO knob with some channel locks (I only have one vice grip), and wrenched it open (gently, mind you). That hasn't failed me, yet. I've even heard a little pop on a couple of them.

After that, soaking and other cleaning goes much better to get that crud out of there.

I recently repaired my 'Black Tip' as the handle came loose at the top. I used Blue Loctite. I considered taking it apart but decided against it. You would first have to remove the snap spring on the black handle to do so however.

The green bloom on brass is corrosion. A low acid bath helps to dissolve it. With super speeds being made of a variety of metals bi metallic corrosion can happen. I soaked mine in diluted vinegar for about two hours and had a noticeable reduction in the corrosion. A regular soak with detergent did not have an a affect on it.

Horrendous. Despite giving up and destroying the DAMNED thing I can't make anything move.

$image.jpg

Check that blade gap.

$image.jpg

And black tip is gone.

Waste of $22.

Captain may not have been able to save this one. If he has taken one apart and not posted the video though, the "blood" is on his hands. :001_rolle

The green bloom on brass is corrosion...

The technical term is verdigris.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdigris

Horrendous. Despite giving up and destroying the DAMNED thing I can't make anything move...

Captain may not have been able to save this one. If he has taken one apart and not posted the video though, the "blood" is on his hands. :001_rolle

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/419417-Black-Handled-Super-Speed-Disassembly

If you test it with a magnet, what parts stick? Some of these parts are steel on the black tip.

In photo 1 the ears that open the doors are above the safety bar not allowing the doors to lower.
In photo 2 I can not tell if the tabs on the bottom of the center bar have been compressed to allow the door tree lift asm to be removed once the screw has been removed.

$BT3.jpg

Last edited:
...In photo 2 I can not tell if the tabs on the bottom of the center bar have been compressed to allow the door tree lift asm to be removed once the screw has been removed...."
To the OP, I feel your pain and I'm sorry for your loss!

@Copierguy, I've only tried to compress tabs on one razor and they snapped right off. Now, I'm not sure they serve much of a purpose anyway since Gillette made so many without, and the door assembly won't fall out as long as the left-hand screw is in place, but my OCD needle pegged the meter when I felt I damaged a razor. Is there a better method than just using a pair of needle nose pliers to bend 'em out of the way?

To the OP, I feel your pain and I'm sorry for your loss!

@Copierguy, I've only tried to compress tabs on one razor and they snapped right off. Now, I'm not sure they serve much of a purpose anyway since Gillette made so many without, and the door assembly won't fall out as long as the left-hand screw is in place, but my OCD needle pegged the meter when I felt I damaged a razor. Is there a better method than just using a pair of needle nose pliers to bend 'em out of the way?

Those tabs do seem redundant once the screw is in place. Not sure if their mission in life is only to aid in assembly at the plant or to be backup should the screw come loose in the field. As for compressing them, I have not had the need to do this but only see them as being in the way during disassembly.
I would imagine CAP may have dealt with these is some fashion during one of his disassembly threads.

...I would imagine CAP may have dealt with these is some fashion during one of his disassembly threads.
I know he mentioned doing it in one of his threads, but I never ran across any description of his method or a video showing how - not that I spent much effort looking, to be honest.

Top Bottom