What's new

May have hit saturation for a while

When I started on this site as a new DE shaver, I tried a lot of stuff, and bought a lot of stuff, and in the year and a half since I have pretty much been just working through all that! I have like 7 shaving creams a few soaps 100 blades, and a nice Merkur razor (though I AM thinking about a Stainless one for my birthday in July) But I have not had to buy anything for a while (OH I have 2 scuttles, a shavette and a whipped dog, straight starter kit I don't use also)

So NOW in addition to my cigar stash, I have:
4 Pipes (2 petersons (303, and 264), a basket briar, and a lattice carved Meer)
Like 8 different kinds of tobacco (though not fell in LOVE with any yet)
An Old Boy briar lighter, and a Xikar pipeline lighter
A Lame Berger lamp for any odor control
A rosewood Pipe tool
A couple pipe stands (though no rack yet hmmmmmm)
and a new leather pouch for traveling with said stash

I think I have some work ahead of me before I need to buy anything more. :(

I just have never been a big "collector" (never see myself with 30 pipes, just like I never really needed more than 1 razor)

OH well, I have some smoking to do gents ;)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Only 8 types of 'baccy??? You need to place an order, or go by a B&M, and get that much of different 'baccies that you haven't tried yet.

And 2 of your pipes are Peterson? You ought to try a Savinelli, and maybe look for some already restored estate pipes. I really like my Lane first era Charatan, and then there is always a Dunhill to try.

Oh, and you need to get away from that Merkur and find you some old vintage Gillettes, Schicks, or Gems.

You can always thank me later. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Never seen myself with 30 pipes either and 8 years later I am getting concerned with my cabinet only having capacity for 36 pipes.

You have made great buying decisions that will last you a very long time. Keep dabbing in tobacco and before too long you'll have pounds of it and 98% of it will be "every day smokes" and that 2% love will be hoarded, stashed, and smokes on rare occasions - why you wonder, because it'll be that hard to find blend that you'll only be able to get when lucky 2-4 times a year in 8 oz max buys only.

Stupid rare blends :)

8 kinds of tobacco? I hope you find what you like soon. If I looked in my cellar and saw 8 kinds, I'd probably just throw up my hands and grab some Carter Hall. I find all I need is CH, my standard tobacco; a straight VA for a slow ponderous smoke, 5100 red cake; Squadron Leader or another English for when the mood hits me; and something fancy like G.L. Pease Cairo. 4 choices are more than enough for me!

Now, you do seem under equipped in the pipe department. I strongly suggest you purchase a few MM cobs of different sizes. If you want to be adventurous, a cherrywood might be a nice acquisition. I have a Ropp I'm quite fond of. You also need some traveling pipe tools. A few pipe nails or Czech tools are perfect for on the go use.

Yes that CH does seem to be a standard fav around here, and I have yet to try it. I will plan on acquiring some.

I was also considering a Cob come summertime. But a $5 is a pretty easy buy. clearly I do have keep trying some tobaccos until I find at least one that is special to me. ok disregard my original post ��..

8 kinds of tobacco? I hope you find what you like soon. If I looked in my cellar and saw 8 kinds, I'd probably just throw up my hands and grab some Carter Hall. I find all I need is CH, my standard tobacco; a straight VA for a slow ponderous smoke, 5100 red cake; Squadron Leader or another English for when the mood hits me; and something fancy like G.L. Pease Cairo. 4 choices are more than enough for me!

Now, you do seem under equipped in the pipe department. I strongly suggest you purchase a few MM cobs of different sizes. If you want to be adventurous, a cherrywood might be a nice acquisition. I have a Ropp I'm quite fond of. You also need some traveling pipe tools. A few pipe nails or Czech tools are perfect for on the go use.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Go get a case of half pint mason jars, then let us know what you've filled them up with. :thumbup:

I have 8 filled... I will keep at it. THank you all from talking me off the sabbatical ledge ;)

I need to get more organized and methodical about my tobacco search. Just picking the ones with pretty labels is not getting me where I want to be ;)

Go get a case of half pint mason jars, then let us know what you've filled them up with. :thumbup:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
THank you all from talking me off the sabbatical ledge ;)

No problem...we're more than happy to help. :biggrin1:

I just took a quick inventory of what I have right now:

Prince Albert
Carter Hall
Captain Black White Pouch
5 Brothers
Granger
Frog Morton
Hal O' the Wynd
C&D Bayou Morning
Pembroke
Tambolaka
G.L. Pease Telegraph Hill
Escudo
Squadron Leader
C&D Bow-Legged Bear
Nightcap
Royal Yacht
Mac Baren Mature Virginia
Mac Baren Acadian Perique
G&H Dark Flake
C&D Pirate Kake
Peterson's Irish Oak
Peterson's Irish Flake
G&H Dark Flake Scented (yuck)

I just finished off some Full Virginia Flake, G.L. Pease Jackknife, and 965 awhile back.

I think I need to pick up another flat of jars.

Last edited:
I love the enabling in this community!
You know, I came here years ago to learn wet shaving - now I have a pipe and cigar collection, I burr grind and french press coffee (yumm!), and now I have started using and buying fountain pens... B&B is a dangerous place for my willpower and my wallet!

Ok this may appeal to some here... my plan tonight is to make a spreadsheet of my tobaccos and their components to determine what I have and if for example, they ALL have Latakia, then my next try should not. as I said , I need to start getting organized about this. by picking the pretty labels, I think I have too many rum aromatics...I do love carribean scenes ....lol

Should be a rip roaring Friday night. ��. well there are basketball games too

HMMM not sure what I accomplished or what this tells me. Need to study it to see what I might need to try next.

$Untitled.jpg

That is a great idea! Looks good, easy to read! We need a thread for everyone to post a list of their stash in a format like that and their quick comment/opinion on it! Just think of all we could learn from it!

Top Bottom