What's new

What is this madness?

But where's the fun in using a mainstream gillette and not one that's got a history? You can't exactly pass a gillette fusion onto your kids!

I shaved with a brush and cream and cartridges for many years. Apart from my compaints about the cost of the cartridge, the irritation was a killer for me. One shave is fine... I hope that you don't need to shave that way for weeks on end...

Carts aren't bad it, is just that they are sooooo damn expensive for what you get. Your post said you did your usual PREP and that I think is the key. I can get a decent CCS or SAS with a cart (when I'm running late and end up using my Mach3 or my wifes VENUS in the shower) but its just not as much fun and my 5 o'cloct shadow shows up at abouty 2:30 <G>. I usually try to use my Merkur 15c for shower shaving - but don't always have the time to get set up. They won't admit it, but there are a lot of wetshavers (here on B&B that do the brush & soap/cream that use a Mach3 or Trac II instead of a DE. Not a problem at all as far as I am concerned. You can get excellent (even BBS shaves with a cart )- as long as you follow the proper technics. Just wish the price of the carts weren't so damn ridiculous.....

Last edited:
Carts aren't bad it, is just that they are sooooo damn expensive for what you get. Your post said you did your usual PREP and that I think is the key. I can get a decent CCS or SAS with a cart (when I'm running late and end up using my Mach3 or my wifes VENUS in the shower) but its just not as much fun and my 5 o'cloct shadow shows up at abouty 2:30 <G>. I usually try to use my Merkur 15c for shower shaving - but don't always have the time to get set up. They won't admit it, but there are a lot of wetshavers (here on B&B that do the brush & soap/cream that use a Mach3 or Trac II instead of a DE. Not a problem at all as far as I am concerned. You can get excellent (even BBS shaves with a cart )- as long as you follow the proper technics. Just wish the price of the carts weren't so damn ridiculous.....

Bingo. I drank the wet shaving Kool-Aid a long time ago and I don't plan on returning to carts full time anytime soon. I'm sure this is very much a YMMV topic but I'd be interested to see how people who had just recently abandoned carts for DEs, SEs or SRs would fare with a cart a year or so from now. By then, they too would likely have their prep work down to a science. I'm now a firm believer that a skilled hand can get excellent results with whatever tool he's given.

I take my fusion when I travel w/o luggage. My shaves with it are SOOO much better after a year and a half of wet shaving / DE. It's a dirty little secret that it's mostly the prep, skin care, hydrating the beard and skin thoroughly, techniques of shaving, and after shave care -- Notwithstanding my $1,000 ++ collection of DE razors and enjoyment of DE shaving.

Prep and Software-- I started wet shaving in 1995 with a Burmashave soap/brush/mug giftset. I didn't start using DE's until 2008-10 (?). After acquiring the technique to get a great shave from an R41 2011, I can get a great shave from just about anything. I've noticed a lot of members discover that when they come back from the "Most aggressive razor I can find" journey and join a "Let's shave with this thing for a month" escapade. You've probably just gotten a lot better at shaving

Top Bottom