What's new

curious? in one month? enough time?

You can start learning now, but I'd buy a decent cartridge razor for training. I doubt that they would allow you to have DE blades during training, and a nice shiny DE might grow legs. Leave it at home!

You can definitely get it down in that amount of time. The longer you shave the better you'll get, but you'll easily have a decent technique down by then. You can get a good razor to start with in a couple days on Amazon, or check a local drugstore. And welcome to B&B!
Well said Doc, +1

I have no doubt you'll get your technique down before you head off to basic training. When I went through basic about 23 years ago we couldn't have a straight razor or DE razor blades. Of course, things have changed so definitely check with your Recruiter on what's currently considered contraband. And you're right...generally, recruits don't have very much personal hygiene time at all, so you probably wont have a lot of time for that luxurious 3-pass shave! You might want to bring a Mach 3 and some gel with you just in case. Sure...I'm a Soldier, not an Airman, and while there are some differences in the services' basic training programs, I wager they both have that in common.

Anyway, best of luck to you and thank you for your service!

Not a military man myself but when I was looking into joining in the past it didn't sound like you would have a lot of time during training. You may benefit from using a DE right now as it will force you to focus on your technique more, but I would definitely bring a cartridge to try to cut down on time with a can of goo. You can apply what you learn to the cartridge and hopefully get better shaves because of it. And as someone else mentioned the DE blades may not even be allowed, so thats another consideration.

If you like the single blade setup but can't use a DE there are disposables like the BIC Sensitive, or cartridge based ones like the Gillette Guard to give you 2 examples.

Last edited:
You're starting Air Force Basic Training in a month, right? You have lot more to worry than learning to shave. You're going to have to survive inspection, almost daily. And DE razor is going to have hard time passing the inspections. I'm not saying you can't, but it's going to be a lot harder. My recommendation would be to pick up a cartridge razor, which you can find replacement blades easily anywhere, then learn to shave with shampoo. With each inspection, your TI is going to pick up your razor and check every nook and crannies. With cartridge razor, all you'll have to do is put the cartridge you normally use back into the holder and put the new cartridge in place for inspection. When you shave, you just switch back to the one you normally use, then switch back to the new one after you shave. It'll make your life a lot easier. Next, you'll have to have a soap in soap dish, but you don't want to use that. Keeping a soap and soap dish clean is real pain, besides, soap leaves film on the shower walls. So you want to use shampoo to wash your body and shave. Trust me, it will make your 8 weeks a lot easier.

BTW, make sure you're in good enough shape. If you can run 2 miles in 10 min/mile pace you're good to go. Also, look up spit shining boots in youtube and practice. You won't be marching and running like they do in the Army or Marine Corps, but when I went through basic, we did our daily run in boots. And we're talking about breaking in inexpensive hard leather boots during your runs and marches. Wearing a dress socks, which you should be issued when you get all your uniform, under your regular socks would go a long way towards saving your feet.

You're starting Air Force Basic Training in a month, right? You have lot more to worry than learning to shave. You're going to have to survive inspection, almost daily. And DE razor is going to have hard time passing the inspections. I'm not saying you can't, but it's going to be a lot harder. My recommendation would be to pick up a cartridge razor, which you can find replacement blades easily anywhere, then learn to shave with shampoo. With each inspection, your TI is going to pick up your razor and check every nook and crannies. With cartridge razor, all you'll have to do is put the cartridge you normally use back into the holder and put the new cartridge in place for inspection. When you shave, you just switch back to the one you normally use, then switch back to the new one after you shave. It'll make your life a lot easier. Next, you'll have to have a soap in soap dish, but you don't want to use that. Keeping a soap and soap dish clean is real pain, besides, soap leaves film on the shower walls. So you want to use shampoo to wash your body and shave. Trust me, it will make your 8 weeks a lot easier.

BTW, make sure you're in good enough shape. If you can run 2 miles in 10 min/mile pace you're good to go. Also, look up spit shining boots in youtube and practice. You won't be marching and running like they do in the Army or Marine Corps, but when I went through basic, we did our daily run in boots. And we're talking about breaking in inexpensive hard leather boots during your runs and marches. Wearing a dress socks, which you should be issued when you get all your uniform, under your regular socks would go a long way towards saving your feet.

+1 Well said Chuck. That's what I was trying to get across, but you did it so much better. No matter what branch you're in, during Basic Training they own you heart, mind, body and soul and will tell you what to do, when to do it, and how long you've got to get it done.

I see what the other member was talking about. Thank you both of you for that info and as well as everyone else who posted. I will most likely buy a cartridge razors as well but nonetheless I bought a slim the other day and will use that till I leave to basic. Might still take it and hope I can use. Thinking on it

No way you're getting more than 10-15 minutes to shower & shave, at least I didn't ~39 years ago, not to mention the cleaning of your gear for inspections. There wasn't any formations, inspections or PT when attending Tech School, I'd wait on the DE, soap & brush until then, four weeks of Basic won't be that long.

No way you're getting more than 10-15 minutes to shower & shave, at least I didn't ~39 years ago, not to mention the cleaning of your gear for inspections. There wasn't any formations, inspections or PT when attending Tech School, I'd wait on the DE, soap & brush until then, four weeks of Basic won't be that long.

This.

I don't know about AF boot camp these days (I was USMC) but there was little time allocated for such activities. You would better serve yourself to wait until post-boot camp and use whatever disposable will get you by during that time frame.

One month, more than enough. After a week or so you may be able to get in one last order of supplies for your shower kit before you ship out. If you still have skin issues related to shaving, you can get medical attention for it once you are in.

I just went through a couple days of usmc boot camp at mcrd in january. There was so little time for hygiene and space was so limited. Forget brush and DE. foamy and cart all the way. Learn to use carts so they dont tear you up.

Top Bottom