What's new

difference a blade makes

For me, much of what contributes to a good shave is not only the blade but how aggressive the razor is as well. I don't know this to be the case but I wonder if your razor is too mild to be effective for your beard and shave technique with other types of blades.

Feather's are renown to be extremely sharp so they can really add some oomph to a milder shaver like the Feather Popular or Merkur 23C.

Thanks for all your feedback and opinions on the topic. It is good to know there are people in the same boat as me all be it with different blades. I have ordered a 5 pack of feathers to make sure it was not a fluke and they should be arrive g the same time as my new Edwin j DE89L, which I can't wait to try out as I have read nothing but good things about it.

I used Astra SP first followed by Derby. The Derby's were a bit different - I had razor bumps on one chin corner (which I fixed by slowing the blade in that zone and also plucking 3 really super thick hairs I think caused it) and the Derby's don't move as smoothly over the skin I feel like. Derby's were a good shave, no weepers, but not as close as Astra. I am waiting to use my Feathers at the end when the technique is perfected.

Same here! Had pretty crappy shaves for the first four blades of a 16 blade sampler. Got to the Bic Chrome Platinum last night and it blew the other four out of the water!! Not great but a marked improvement. I'm saving the feather in the sampler for last...

Been wet shaving my whole life except for a brief trial of electrics. Started with my Dad's Gillette DE when I was a teen and recently went back to a 34C after using Fusions for years. At home I use the Cadillac blades (Feather, Merkur, Wilkinson Sword), but on the road for work I use the drug store brand. (cheaper in case I actually have to go thru TSA and need to throw them out. Normally use crew member access point) I Don't really notice that much of a difference to be honest. I think prep and taking your time are more important.

Thanks for all your feedback and opinions on the topic. It is good to know there are people in the same boat as me all be it with different blades. I have ordered a 5 pack of feathers to make sure it was not a fluke and they should be arrive g the same time as my new Edwin j DE89L, which I can't wait to try out as I have read nothing but good things about it.
Let us know when you get the Feathers and EJ

Top Bottom