What's new

New to the forum

I was wondering what other brands are comparable to better then the stuff the art of shaving has. i am looking for a good quality brush and a heavyweight safety razor handle, also a nice looking stand for the brush and razor to put on my bathroom sink. The art of shaving it just too expensive. I just went into one this past weekend and the info about it was nice, from how i was shaving wrong the whole time. Oil, brush with shaving cream, shave and the aftershave. I hope i can get some great info from you guys here. Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum. Your intro says you're in Long Beach so I would suggest looking at WCS (West Coast Shaving) out of Chino Hills, CA.
You may even want to take a drive out there and visit their store. I am sure they can give you lots of good advice.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/

Hello and welcome to B&B. Great to have you here.

What is better than Art of Shaving? Lots of stuff. Try soaps from Stirling. Go visit WCS as noted above and ask for their advice/input. Good luck.

Welcome to B&B.

Both sites above have a great selection of gear.

As far as brushes go, I don't think you can go wrong with an Omega brush.

Now for razors, I originally bought a Parker 111B large handle (not really heavy) and I like the feel and size. My current razor is an EJ Kelvin, again it's shorter than my Parker, but I seem to use it more and more.

Maggard's has a great selection of samples as does Garry's Sample Shop. These would allow you to try several creams, soaps, AS etc..without going broke. I really like TOBS and Bigelow/Proraso green shaving creams.

Good luck in your search.

Just spend time here. Even if your question could be answered, you are better off reading reviews and trying different products that you find interesting. Several vendors here offer starter packs as well.
And welcome!

Welcome! This is a great hobby and this forum is full of awesome people who are always looking to help others!

For me, Taylor of old bond street is one of the best. I love the scents and presentation. Also check out artisan shaving soaps as well, such as stirling (amazingly cheap), barrister&mann, mikes, caties bubbles, Mickey lee, etc.

Hope this helps! And definitely definitely check out west coast shaving. They have everything, and you can smell, touch and feel everything! It's awesome!

So step away from art of shaving prices. I was looking for good quality stuff but didn't know if I wanted to spend $500-700 for the stuff. I will try to check out the place in chino hills. Makes me more interested. I'm a visual learner and want to know more before I get into it. Also I don't grow much facial hair. Time I'm like I wish I can grow a beard like some Asians can but other times I'm like I good not wanting to shave every afternoon. I know I want to get a good set for safety razor and brush with stand. And then the oil, shaving cream and aftershave I can play around with. I don't want a potent smell. For example I like the sandalwood from art of shaving, but I got the lemon cause it was the starter pack they had. I appreciate everyone's input. I just don't know what to look for. I know the brush in the starter pack sucks and smells bad.

Lots of good advice already given. You don't need to spend alot on your stuff at the beginning, you shoud be able to get a decent setup for $50 to 70 and go from there. Look for good brand name brushes like Omega or Semogue and boars are fine. For soaps you can't go wrong with some of the standard tried and true like Sterling Soaps, Prorasso, Cella, and such. Look around the Soaps Forum and you will get a feel for what works.
Ask all the questions you want, lots of friendly folks here. Enjoy

Top Bottom