What's new

If your running late what kind of goo do you use?

Started DE shaving a few months ago. Really enjoy the ritual, but there are times when I have to one-pass and dash. I still have a can of Barbisol I keep handy, and will probably buy another when I run out. What other cans off goo do you use in an emergency?

I always usually have time to create a lather but if I was to be in a pinch, I still keep Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shave gel around. It's the best gel I've ever used by a long, long shot.

If Barbasol works for you, then stay with it. Its one of the very few canned foams that gets the nod of approval around B&B.

Nivea Sensitive Gel is a good can of aerosol goop. I used it for quickie shaves for about a year until it ran out, then I replaced it with Nivea Sensitive cream.

I've got a pump-bottle of some stuff called JASON Beard-n-Skin Therapy. Its a great way to get in a quick shave, and it leaves my skin so soft that I usually don't need any aftershave. I get mine from a local health-food store that special orders it for me, and at the rate that I use it, each bottle lasts me about 3 years.

Mostly, though, if I'm in a hurry to shave, I will grab a tube of cream and lather it up by hand. It takes just a little bit longer to work up into a lather than using aerosol goop, but the results are worth it. Neither my whiskers nor my razor know the difference.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'll just use Nivea Sensitive Cream if I don't have time to whip out a brush and use a proper soap or cream. I just put a dab of cream on my hands, add a few drops of water, and then rub my hands together for a few seconds before applying it to my face. It's similar to using a canned shave gel.

I can get one pass with any of my DE razors and my soap / brush fast enough that I'll suck up the extra 1 - 2 minutes vs. canned goo.

Not a snob, just don't have enough instances where I'm running late and would need it. Plus, nothing makes my bathroom smell as good as a healthy lather with my Topanga Fougere!

I got through all the previous cans of left-over goo that I promised my wife I'd use up. From all those, I've decided I'm keeping a tube of Neutrogena Sensitive Shave Creme in a tube. Keeps your face feeling moist even after making your full pass through your beard. It's also great to use for a final pass as you can find any areas that need final touchups as you spread it on your face with your hands. Luxury item IMO.

Last edited:
Barbisol Skin Conditioner (yellow can, warmed up with a conair hot lather cap while I shower) or else Arko shave stick. Face lathering doesn't take much time.

I've always liked the Barbasol products. I use the yellow Skin Conditioner can, the light blue Arctic Chill, the green Soothing Aloe, and the original can. I also have a can of Proraso green. There are times where I don't really feel like using a brush and canned foam works just fine for me.

i haven't owned or used goo for some years now! If im really in a hurry i find shaving sticks like Arko or La Toja do the trick super well! Very quick to apply and lather, and still that awesome experience.

I'm one that only uses cream if I have time. If I am rushed, I use Arko. In the tub or stick, either one is fine with me.

I use my regular cream or soap du jour. Only takes a jiffy to whip up and shave is far superior to any can, plus I have no cans in the house anymore.

I just picked up a tube of Cremo Shaving Cream while traveling. Got a good three pass shave in a fraction of the time!

No cans of goo, not even in an emergency.

Even in a rush, there's always time to squirt a dab of cream onto a brush and take 20 seconds to whip up a quick lather on my face.

No cans of goo, not even in an emergency.

Even in a rush, there's always time to squirt a dab of cream onto a brush and take 20 seconds to whip up a quick lather on my face.

^This. I am never that in a rush that I would ever use canned goo again.

I do a single pass with a new blade in a old-style (bumpless) Gem MMOC with face-lathered Arko. I find it just as fast and as close as goo.

Top Bottom