What's new

Impulse buying. Can you relate?

YES I can relate, so probably does the mail carrier 😁 seemed for a while I was getting something delivered about every day ......
now its just every other day

Well I think i've scrounged everything within a 10 mile radius of me so if I want anymore I either have to order online or find a local shave/barber supply shop. Oh and wait till I start on the straight razors... Thats a whole other bunch of goodies to get :tongue_sm

Well I think i've scrounged everything within a 10 mile radius of me so if I want anymore I either have to order online or find a local shave/barber supply shop. Oh and wait till I start on the straight razors... Thats a whole other bunch of goodies to get :tongue_sm
As said above, try to slow down and saviour what you've got. It will also give you time to find out what you really like and thus give you input to your future acquisitions. When i started I bought very many soaps that I in retrospective find to be horrible. It could have been avoided.

The day you start with straight razors, and the signs indicates that you will, you'll find that a single straight razor can cost as much as a a year of wild shopping spree for DE razors. Then you'll really have to have a long time shopping plan. You'll also find a new level of shaving experience.

In my year back at DE shaving, I've been in restraints 4 months, so, yes, I get it. But my impulses are tamed pretty much. I think I have (almost) everything I need, bar refills.

AD is fun isn't it. It gives you a thrill to push that "buy now" button. Its akin to gamblers addiction....Now - to make matters even worse, check out Maggard Razors - Straight Razor Restoration, Custom Scales and Wet Shaving Pro . . . Thier stainless steel handled razors are top notch and from what I read are just slightly more aggressive than the EJ 89 razor. I absolutely LOVE my MR6 and it has become my daily shaver. Plus - you can NOT beat thier service and quick delivery. All this said though, you really need to slow down a tad and enjoy what you have/will be getting and learn to use them properly. Trust me - you will have decades to enjoy this hobby/addiction, so take you time and remember - it can't be Christmas every day..(well it can - till the money runs out) <G>. Also, finding the right blade will make a huge difference. I typically prefer the Astra Super Platinum (SP) blades. Work great in every razor I've tried.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments gents. After this last order arrives I think I'll slow down a bit and test everything I have for now. My birthday is next month so I can ask my gf to buy me a couple little things I wanna try such as MWF soap, haslinger schafmilsch soap and some captains choice/ogalalla bay rum. Thanks for makin me come to my senses and also letting me know I'm not the only one! I will continue dreaming about a simpson chubby 3 in manchurian... I don't know if I could ever justify that much for a brush tho lol...

I sometimes look at brush displays like I used to look at hockey cards . . . need em, got em, got em, need em, got em, need em, got em.
It's only a problem if the money runs out before the impulse does.

You sound like me when I first got into traditional shaving. And yes, getting into straights is like setting the reset button on your ADs. I jumped into them this week...I asked myself...what have I gotten into?

Like me I started with buying several vintage double edge razors, Then ended up with a few single edge Gems. Now on an impulse, I ordered a Shavette and I'm fighting the urge to check out some straights at the antique store. I keep trying to control the Ad's , razors, brushes ,soaps and even aftershaves. I have walked away from several. Luckily for me. The most expensive piece in the collection so far, was found buy my wife.
I think once I return to work and not spending so much time reading this forum. The impulses will subside. Right now when I see pictures of someones antique store or thrift store finds . I want to go searching again.

That's something that I haven't done yet is checking antique shops for straight/DE razors. Ill stay away from the straights for a lil while. My DE shaves have been PERFECT so far so I'm off to a good start. I will definately geek out on straights tho being that another one of my hobbies is knives and sharpening!

Also my first straight razor shave from a local barber still haunts me... It was HORRIBLE! I don't think the razor was sharp enough or maybe his technique was bad but I have never experienced razor burn as bad as I did that day...

I found the best way to stop me from acquiring anything is to tell my wife what I like and she informs me what we need to get for the kids and that kills any impulse I might have. haha

You sound like me when I first got into traditional shaving. And yes, getting into straights is like setting the reset button on your ADs. I jumped into them this week...I asked myself...what have I gotten into?
Going into straights is a one way trip with no return. The pleasure is great an d only topped by the potential cost if you give in for SAD. I own more than 50 straight razors and had to force myself to stop.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Someone on B&B has a great quote, something like this from WC Fields: "I spent half my money on wild women, alcohol and gambling. I wasted the other half."
Do you collect guitars, motorcycles, classic cars, watches? No? Ok, keep going...set maximum limits like:
15 brushes
10 razors
30 soaps
20 blade types
10 aftershaves
3 scuttles
3 alum blocks

This happend to me as well.
I now own 45 or so razors. And I'm scared to stall count the soaps creams and *** lol.
this is your future... lol
$20150322_160232.jpg
$20150322_160304.jpg
There's more, but I don't have all the pics on me. It's been a hell of a ride and I love the variety, but now it's to the point of forgetting all I have and sometimes it's hard to pick a setup for the day lol.
but as you said, it's worth it. I'll be shaving for the rest of my life

This is why I'm doing my first GRU starting April 1st!!! Lol
need some time to use what I have.

Soo... I've only been wet shaving for barely more days than I have fingers and I am constantly impulse buying EVERYTHING. I must have bought something new almost every day for the past week and a half whether it be local or online. It started with my first WCS order of an EJ DE89 Barley , a blade sampler, proraso white tub and C.O. Bigelow cream, along with some old spice AS and a VDH deluxe kit that I already had. That was about a week and a half ago. Since then I have aquired (impulsively) ANOTHER EJ DE89, this time in plain chrome. Why? Because shiny... thats why lol. It gave me the "Ooo Ahhh" feeling even tho I have only used the DE89 I have, 3 times... I have also picked up Brut splash, Penaud Clubman/VIBR, Aqua Velva sport/musk, VDH Luxery soap, VDH badger brush, VDH TTO razor and a new brush I won here on the forum (Semogue 820). I want EVERYTHING I can get my hands on. My kit is growing faster than I can even use any of it! I even asked my GF to get me MORE shaving stuff for my birthday next month... Is this normal? What have I gotten myself in to? lol please tell me I'm not the only one...:blush:

There are sabbaticals for people like us.

:drool: Wow... Nice zippo collection too I see! I had a random impulse corn cob pipe fetish and now have about 18 of them... only use 3 lol

Top Bottom