What's new

Decisions decisions

Day 8 - Fine Classic Aftershave - Barbershop

I really didn't want to like this scent because of all of the popularity it already has. I wanted to be the lone dissenter amongst the crowds. But noooo.... I like it. Again with the menthol - bam! - and a not-too-powdery classic barbershop scent. I even think I would go to the trouble of buying this one and mixing in a few drops of glycerin to help with the dry after-feel. And, the wife likes it too, although we have different opinions on how much is too much when it comes to quality over quantity.

I guess I should finally quantify this thread with some YMMV. I am just throwing down my own opinions, although I know my opinions come off as kind of strong sometimes but that's just how it goes. I should also say that this test is a little biased, too as I generally seek out more uncommon scents and products and don't generally fall into the "popular" category.

Although this scent is a classic example of "I told you so...."

:001_rolle

Day 9 - Fine Classic Aftershave - Clean Vetiver

This is somewhat lighter scent - citrusy and grassy with a nice tobacco tone, too. This one seems to go on lighter, not as heavy as the Barbershop but it's still a very nice scent. The tobacco gives it a very nice earthy feel to it. It will be interesting to compare it to the Fresh Vetiver tomorrow.

:001_smile

Day 9 - Fine Classic Aftershave - Fresh Vetiver

This is another very nice scent with more citrus tones with some grass notes, but without the tobacco that's in the Clean Vetiver. I think I enjoyed this one more than the Clean Vetiver although maybe it's because I'm having a better day today than I did yesterday. I played 18 holes of golf with a very close friend at 7am this morning and it was a great morning all around as I played well and would catch a whiff of the vetiver from time to time as I walked the course.

Man, nothing beats a nice close shave, a refreshing aftershave followed by a nice day out in the wild ;-)

Day 11 - D.R. Harris & Co. Ltd. Pink After Shave

I know this one has been reviewed before here quite well -

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/1205-*Review*-D-R-Harris-Pink-Aftershave

My feelings are pretty much the same - A very nice face feel and a very soothing quality, with a nice, albeit faint rose scent. But at $40 a bottle I think there are much better values to be had. Into the PIF box it goes. Man, I can't believe I've been doing this for 11 days - only. one. more. day.
:blush:

Day 12 - Clubman Lime Sec

Well, I got through all 12 little sample bottles. The OCD in me was raging hard on this one and my wife could see it too. I think it's fitting that I end this little experiment on a nice classic - Clubman Lime Sec. This scent is actually quite nice and longer lasting than I thought. A very nice citrus tone with some other herbs and grass to back it up. Wife LOVED it. I'll be keeping this one ;-)

So, out of all 12 samples I'm only inclined to keep 2, believe it or not..... the Clubman Lime Sec, and Captain's Choice Bay Rum. Don't get me wrong - some of the others were darn nice too, but just not my style as YMMV. It seems both blades and aftershaves both carry a lot of personal preferences, as they should.

Next up - a 'lil PIF aftershave sample box!

Happy After Shaving!!!

:sailor:

Thanks for the reviews. It was enjoyable reading your experience with each of the aftershaves.

Thank you - it was pretty fun although my wife got tired of being woken up each morning with my mug in her face whispering "How do I smell honey? I get up at 5am and she keeps Princess hours so I had to wait until later to get my SWMBO input ;-)

What a lovely thread this has been to follow. Thanks for taking the time to jot down your thoughts and share them with us! I guess I'll need to check out the Clubman Lime Sec, as the CC Bay Rum is already on my future acquisitions list. :)

What a lovely thread this has been to follow. Thanks for taking the time to jot down your thoughts and share them with us! I guess I'll need to check out the Clubman Lime Sec, as the CC Bay Rum is already on my future acquisitions list. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed your reviews. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks gentlemen :)

BTW - tomorrow I can finally go back to my old standby - Musgo Real Classic Scent- a great, earthy scent in the classic Portuguese/Spanish tradition. Paired with their aftershave balm it's my all-time fave of everything I've tried so far.

:thumbup1:

Last edited:
+1 for the great thread! Nice to have a bunch of reviews and comments in one place, thanks for doing it!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
BTW - tomorrow I can finally go back to my old standby - Musgo Real Classic Scent- a great, earthy scent in the classic Portuguese/Spanish tradition. Paired with their aftershave balm it's my all-time fave of everything I've tried so far.

Cool. Musgo Real is on my short list to try. I hear its a vetiver scent. How does it stack up against the Fine Vetiver AS's?

Cool. Musgo Real is on my short list to try. I hear its a vetiver scent. How does it stack up against the Fine Vetiver AS's?

Yes, it does have the vetiver, but with patchouli and lavender and geranium and some spice as well. It's a very refined, gentlemanly scent - not to overbearing and lasts a long time too. The Fine vetivers are much more of a straight vetiver scent with the addition of some citrus. The Clean Vetiver some tobacco scent, and the Fresh does not. The Fines's are great scents to, but not as complex, or interesting as the Musgo Real - in my opinion ;-)

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom