What's new

My First Rubberset Restore

I have had this handle among others for a few months, and I got a Silvertip Knot, among other items from @aspirin54 in the I Miss Christmas gift exchange. TWGW chose this handle from among the handles that are ready for restoration. Here are the photos of the restoration.
Naked handle ready to accept new knot.
proxy.php

Dry set to 51mm. 1 nickle and 2 pennies to raise the shelf to set the knot at that height.
proxy.php

Glued together using GOOP marine adhesive
proxy.php

Looks nice! I just picked up a few handles, and was wondering how to set the height properly. $0.07 seems like a pretty cheap solution.

Where did you pick up the calipers? Need to grab a set before I embark on setting a knot.

First bowl lather using First Canadian Shave Soap - South Simcoe Sandalwood.
proxy.php

proxy.php

And the Bloom. The brush lost a couple of hairs with the first lather, and has a bit of funk, but not enough to keep me from using it tomorrow. I will face lather a mix of two small samples I have from the West Coast Pass a Round box. It is Menthol Monday, and I will combine Stirling Glacial Wintergreen & Yeti Snot. It should make for an interesting shave with a new brush. This is a pretty good looking brush.
proxy.php

Looks nice! I just picked up a few handles, and was wondering how to set the height properly. $0.07 seems like a pretty cheap solution.

Where did you pick up the calipers? Need to grab a set before I embark on setting a knot.
Princess Auto. They are an inexpensive plastic set, and came with a smaller one as well.

Sucks that it has already lost some hairs but it hopefully those were just a few loose ones and that's it. Good job setting it and good looking brush!

Sucks that it has already lost some hairs but it hopefully those were just a few loose ones and that's it. Good job setting it and good looking brush!
I would expect it to lose a couple in the first couple of uses. It makes great lather. I will keep you updated.

I used it this morning to face lather. I used a combination of two soap samples, Stirling Glacial Wintergreen and Yeti Snot. It makes great lather and felt great on my face, nice soft tips. I will give it the ultimate test tomorrow and use it with da FAT.

The Rubberset and da Fat pair well together. This brush will give my boar brushes some competition when I am using MWF. Start with a fairly dry brush and it loads easily. The 51mm loft has plenty of backbone, yet it splays a lot on my face and is very soft. A great shave today using a pre war tech with a extra large Fat handle. Tomorrow's test is Williams modern Mug soap.
$uploadfromtaptalk1427255309922.jpg

The rubberset and Williams get along fine. It loads well and makes lather quickly. Tomorrow I am going to use it with Pecksniffs cream.

Nice job on the restore - it looks very nice!! Nice color combo - maroon over cream. The lather it whipped up looks like it would provide a number of great passes for the morning shave.

Nice job on the restore - it looks very nice!! Nice color combo - maroon over cream. The lather it whipped up looks like it would provide a number of great passes for the morning shave.

Very nice. Congrats.

Love the color scheme!

Wow! She's looking sweet!!!

Thank you Gents. I think I will be putting in an order for the rest of my brushes

Top Bottom