What's new

Carnitas

Yip, yip and oh yeah that's a given.
They browned up on one side like a champ.
On the left with chopped tomato, cheese and Culley's Reaper Chipotle. On the right with guacamole, coriander ( aka cilantro) and some lime juice.
Both very nice. I had to try it with the guacamole as in your first post. I'm glad I did it was a nice pairing.
Wash down with a German Wheat Beer. Life is good.........

Thanks for the recipe Aaron another great thread.

View attachment 580755

Good looking meal, I need some of that Chipotle sauce.

Chris, your carnitas turned out great. I bet we could make beef carnitas too.
I've got a beef carnitas recipe from an old (1975) cookbook called "Flavors of Mexico" that's awesome. If I get a chance later this weekend, I'll type it up and post it. It makes a regular appearance in my household. In fact, it's getting about time to make another batch...maybe this week!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Owen. I've always joked that I could be the milkman's son, so you never know. :lol:
The milkman became a relic in the 80s in Cleveland. I delivered newspapers, and a lot of people wanted their papers inside the milk door a lot of houses had.
We taught him all he knows.lol...Yeehaw !!

So you had a milkman father from Texas?
You lead the way.

I I need pork for vindaloo, and have been wanting carnitas. I think I will do what Chris did- by a shoulder, split it. Freeze one for carnitas later and get on the vindaloo

The milkman became a relic in the 80s in Cleveland. I delivered newspapers, and a lot of people wanted their papers inside the milk door a lot of houses had.

You lead the way.

I I need pork for vindaloo, and have been wanting carnitas. I think I will do what Chris did- by a shoulder, split it. Freeze one for carnitas later and get on the vindaloo
We had an eggman in Ohio when I was a kid late 70's early 80's

As I mentioned above, I regularly make a spicy shredded beef dish that we use in Burritos and Tacos. Here's my recipe:

Beef Carnitas
Adapted from: Flavors of Mexico - Authentic Recipes from South of the Border
Angeles de la Rosa & C. Gandia de Fernandez, 1978

Ingredients:
  • 3 pounds Stewing Beef
  • 1 cup Lard or Vegetable Oil (I usually only use ½ cup of Safflower Oil)
  • 8 Chiles Anchos, toasted, seeded, and deveined
  • 6 Garlic Cloves
  • ½ Large Onion, coarsely chopped
  • Salt to taste

Preparation:
Cut the beef into large 2” cubes. Pat cubes dry with a paper towel. Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a heavy skillet to the smoking point and brown the meat on all sides in small batches. Place the browned meat in a large saucepan. Add salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Let the meat cool in the broth. Once cool, remove meat from saucepan and shred with a fork. Set aside.

While the meat is cooling, soak the chiles in hot water to cover for 30 minutes, then drain and puree in a blender or food processor with two of the garlic cloves and the chopped onion, adding enough water to make a smooth paste. Add salt and set aside.

In a heavy skillet, heat the remaining lard or oil almost to the smoking point. Crush 4 garlic cloves and cook, stirring until the garlic begins to brown. Remove the garlic from the skillet. Add the shredded meat and cook, stirring constantly until it is well browned and starting to get crispy. Stir in the chile paste into the meat and cook over low heat until thickened but still moist. (If too dry, I sometimes add a couple of tablespoons of water.)

Use the finished meat-chile blend in Burritos, Tacos, or any place you need a spicy meat filling.

Started a double batch today, I loaded up my cast iron dutch oven and will cook in the oven at 325 for about 3 hours

Attachments

• $DSC_0001.jpg
    $DSC_0001.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 71
  • $DSC_0003.jpg
    $DSC_0003.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 72
I really like this one, thanks for posting it

Attachments

• $DSC_0001.JPG
    $DSC_0001.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 68
  • $DSC_0004.jpg
    $DSC_0004.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 68
Alright Mike:thumbup1: You're like the 10th guy who has made this recipe since I originally posted. Can't wait to see the final product.

Now everyone needs to try making the Picadillo recipe. It didn't get as much love for some reason but extremely tasty.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/453518-Picadillo-Recipe

View attachment 581391

Good Taco
View attachment 581392

Yes. Everyone reading this should try this recipe, it is simple cheap and soooo good. It's become an instant favorite with everybody in our house, kind of a comfort food really. On a toasted corn tortilla with a little chipotle sauce it's hard to beat.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yes. Everyone reading this should try this recipe, it is simple cheap and soooo good. It's become an instant favorite with everybody in our house, kind of a comfort food really. On a toasted corn tortilla with a little chipotle sauce it's hard to beat.

I'll give it a go at some stage. It looks similar to a curry beef mince I make with the peas, carrots and potato, except with Mexican spices.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That sounds really good too, do you have a recipe for that up someplace?

I tend to wing it with this.
here is a couple of recipes that may be of interest.
http://tastyrecipes.sapeople.com/minced-beef-curry/
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/indian-beef-keema-carrots-potatoes
http://www.food.com/recipe/minced-beef-curry-297470

my normally is like this.
I brown the mince (ground beef) and set aside only if it is fatty, if it's lean I add to pot after the spice.
sauté a chopped onion in oil till lightly brown
add 4 cloves of garlic and approx. 1 teaspoon of grated ginger, 2 tbsp hot curry powder (or type / amount of your choice) and a teaspoon of garam masala. cook for about a minute. Make sure the heat is low as you don't want to burn the spice.
Add 2 chopped tomatoes, 1 table spoon tomato puree and mix through well. Add the mince and use a wooden spoon to break it up well into the tomato mixture. Once the mince is all broken up and combined, add diced carrot, chicken or beef stock about 500mls cover the pan simmer for 30 minutes. Add peas approx. 5 minutes before its finished. I taste and season with salt and pepper at this point.

Last edited:
I tend to wing it with this.
here is a couple of recipes that may be of interest.
http://tastyrecipes.sapeople.com/minced-beef-curry/
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/indian-beef-keema-carrots-potatoes
http://www.food.com/recipe/minced-beef-curry-297470

my normally is like this.
I brown the mince (ground beef) and set aside only if it is fatty, if it's lean I add to pot after the spice.
sauté a chopped onion in oil till lightly brown
add 4 cloves of garlic and approx. 1 teaspoon of grated ginger, 2 tbsp hot curry powder (or type / amount of your choice) and a teaspoon of garam masala. cook for about a minute. Make sure the heat is low as you don't want to burn the spice.
Add 2 chopped tomatoes, 1 table spoon tomato puree and mix through well. Add the mince and use a wooden spoon to break it up well into the tomato mixture. Once the mince is all broken up and combined, add diced carrot, chicken or beef stock about 500mls cover the pan simmer for 30 minutes. Add peas approx. 5 minutes before its finished. I taste and season with salt and pepper at this point.

Thank you! I will be trying this, my wife likes curry more than I do so I'm sure she will enjoy it. Sounds very good.

Top Bottom