What's new

Oven Bacon

I'll have to give this a try. I've been going through a lot of bacon this winter, after having ignored it for several years. But bacon prices are coming down, so I might as well treat myself to this simple luxury.

Anything I can do to minimize cleanup is definitely worth trying. Lately, I'm starting to realize that 15 minutes of cooking in a skillet followed by 10 minutes of cleanup isn't a good deal to enjoy 30 seconds of mouth-watering delight.

If you lay out the bacon on the sheet pans and refrigerate uncovered over night, there is even less splattering as a lot of the water in the bacon ( wet cured anyway) is pulled out of the meat.

The oven was what my mom used when I was growing up.
I've found microwaving bacon to be a very effective way of getting a nice crisp set of strips, and the cleanup may be easier still.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I always do a package at a time in the oven. I use aluminum foil to line my pan. I turn the oven on at 400 with the rack in the middle and lay out the bacon in the pan as quickly as I possibly can. Bang it into the oven immediately and set the timer for 22 minutes. Somewhere around 15 mins the oven reaches 400 and chirps . . . fine. when the timer rings it is fine tuning time. Different bacons are different thicknesses and take more or less time. I typically undercook a tad to put away for the next week's breakfasts, lunches, and ok I will admit snacks.

Just taks a small time in the frying pan to complete before serving.

If you are serving the whole batch for a crowd . . . you may want to pull the pan and turn 180 degrees to cook evenly, perhaps even turning the bacon over. For me it is done when you see tiny bubbles forming over the majority. I like my bacon a bit crispy.

Bacon fat:

Good for corn bread, pancakes, pan fried potatoes.

Wash three spuds . . . well maybe two if they are as large as your fist. Cut into half inch cubes, skin on, and put in a microwavable bowl. add some bacon fat to coat. Cover with some plastic wrap and shake around a bit to distribute the fat onto the potatoes. Cook in the microwave for 5 or 6 minutes, pausing occasionally to shake the bowl so the cubes don't stick together.

These potatoes are cooked. Now you get your pan hot . . . at most medium high . . .add a bit of bacon fat to the pan, turn your exhaust fan on , stand back and carefully add the potatoes . . . push them around the pan until all sides are golden.

Remove from pan and Eat.

Would there be any advantage or disadvantage to cooking a whole slab of bacon at one time? Without first separating it into strips?
It seems to me that doing it that way would probably increase the necessary cooking time, but it would be made up by less prep time.

And wouldn't the bacon strips separate themselves as they cook?
The strips would shrink a little and pull away from each other as the fat drains away.

FWIW, I like my bacon on the soggy side, with a little bit of fat left. I normally do 2 or 3 strips at a time, whether in the skillet or the microwave. I've been favoring the microwave lately, since it is easier to control results, and the cleanup is a breeze.

Did someone say bacon? This was half of what I smoked and sliced and packaged this past weekend.

FullSizeRender.jpg by cxg231, on Flickr

Bacon fat:

Good for corn bread, pancakes, pan fried potatoes.

Wash three spuds . . . well maybe two if they are as large as your fist. Cut into half inch cubes, skin on, and put in a microwavable bowl. add some bacon fat to coat. Cover with some plastic wrap and shake around a bit to distribute the fat onto the potatoes. Cook in the microwave for 5 or 6 minutes, pausing occasionally to shake the bowl so the cubes don't stick together.

These potatoes are cooked. Now you get your pan hot . . . at most medium high . . .add a bit of bacon fat to the pan, turn your exhaust fan on , stand back and carefully add the potatoes . . . push them around the pan until all sides are golden.

Remove from pan and Eat.

Bacon fat fried taters are the best taters! Never tried par-cooking in the microwave first, going to have to try that. I usually put them in a covered pan and "steam" them until tender, then remove the lid, crank the heat to medium / medium-high and fry until crisp on all sides. Finish with some salt, pepper, and rosemary.

When it comes to cooking my bacon, I've been a strict traditionalist and only pan-fry my bacon. However, this weekend I will be trying the oven! Always learning new things here on B&B. :thumbup1:

Looks like a great idea for a larger group or when you want BLT's for supper. I have a Anchor Hocking Bacon tray for the Microwave that does a great job for my daily breakfast intake.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Did someone say bacon? This was half of what I smoked and sliced and packaged this past weekend.

FullSizeRender.jpg by cxg231, on Flickr

Bacon fat fried taters are the best taters! Never tried par-cooking in the microwave first, going to have to try that. I usually put them in a covered pan and "steam" them until tender, then remove the lid, crank the heat to medium / medium-high and fry until crisp on all sides. Finish with some salt, pepper, and rosemary.

When it comes to cooking my bacon, I've been a strict traditionalist and only pan-fry my bacon. However, this weekend I will be trying the oven! Always learning new things here on B&B. :thumbup1:

Wow that is a thing of beauty. Those are thick. You will probably need to flip them at some point. Watch close near the end with the oven method. Fine line between done and burnt.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When I was younger and worked 3rd shift (off at 7 AM) I would sometimes stop at a buddies house on the way home (the wife was at work). We'd bake up a pound of bacon to make a couple sandwiches, and enjoy some Jack Daniels. Ah, the good old days.

Love this thread! I was inspired to try this this morning. Used a cookie sheet with parchment paper and backed at 375 degrees.

Worked very well. I especially liked how even all the bacon was cooked. With a fry pan, I usually end up with some pieces overcooked and some a bit undercooked. Not a problem with baking.

This will be my new everytime method for cooking bacon.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I intentionally undercook my oven bacon. I fold it all in half to fit a ziplock small square container. I finish them off in a couple of minutes in a pan when I need them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm a heretic, I suppose, always cook mine in the microwave. It's usually just for me and the wife, so only about 6 pieces max at a time. Paper plate with napkins underneath, paper plate on top to catch the spatter, throw it all away after cooking.

Wow that is a thing of beauty. Those are thick. You will probably need to flip them at some point. Watch close near the end with the oven method. Fine line between done and burnt.

Followed your instructions, starting with a cold oven, except the bacon fat started smoking when the oven hit 375F, so I turned it down to 350F and finished cooking it there. Took 22 minutes, and finished somewhere between a little chewy and totally crispy. Didn't flip, only a couple of slices curled up on me. Would do again!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Mine never smokes at all usually my oven reaches 400 a few minutes before I'm done. I'm baking not broiling, and I'm doing pretty dead centre of the oven. I cooked a different brand on Sunday, quite thick, took about 30 minutes.

Love this thread! I was inspired to try this this morning. Used a cookie sheet with parchment paper and backed at 375 degrees.

Worked very well. I especially liked how even all the bacon was cooked. With a fry pan, I usually end up with some pieces overcooked and some a bit undercooked. Not a problem with baking.

This will be my new everytime method for cooking bacon.
Exactly!

Top Bottom