What's new

Starbucks Clover & "Reserve Coffees"

Starbucks (5 years ago but new to me and Arizona) bought a company/machine called Clover - it's a single-cup immersion brewer that strains through a super fine mesh so there are no grounds left.
https://youtu.be/oct-MsEfvco

Well, I had to try the machine after seeing that Youtube video I linked above! They're using this machine with what Starbucks calls their "Reserve" coffees - single origins & regional blends that aren't roasted as darkly and thus have more flavor. Totally going after the coffee snob who typically shuns SB. My location doesn't weigh the beans (4 heaping TBSP like the video though) and in theory the HQ would tell them what settings to use for each coffee for consistency.

The result: It's very good, but expensive @ $4 for a grande. I've been back for it a few times to try their different reserves as they are next to Costco. The Ethiopian wasn't as vibrant as I am used to (maybe not a Yirgacheffe), but I have had better results with the Guatemalan and today's Peruvian. I am curious how fresh the Reserve coffee is, but didn't think the barista would know (I doubt SB puts a roast date on the packages even ones that go to the store).

I've also had some really good brews from a Clover, and some that weren't so great. You hit the nail on the head with their likely motivation for putting them in. As it stands now, the Clover is the only reason I'd get something from them, but not enough to make me go everyday.

I have some good pulls from their Clover, and some not-so-good ones. Not sure if it's a freshness thing or just a bad roast, and for what you get it is a little pricy but a nice option to have. They don't have these machines at every location - only "select" ones.

I have tried all their pulls at a local starbucks. most were bad. Baristas insist that you try their most expensive one because its the best. honestly, mediocre at best..

Top Bottom