What's new

Why did everyone get into wet shaving?

Just curious… What caused you to become a wet shaving enthusiast?

I'll start…. cost (I'm realizing now I'm not saving money lol), horrible shaves from carts, and I was born in the wrong era.

I got tired of getting ingrown whiskers from the cartridges and the cost. When researching alternatives to cartridges, I found this site.

I'm at it for a full year, and honestly, it was mostly curiosity. My first DE shave was a revelation that this was way better than carts for me. I now use Straight Razors I've restored myself when I have a little extra time. My skin is really healthy looking and feeling. I also enjoy the nostalgia. I have no need to buy any other supplies for at least a year.:thumbup1:

I hated shaving, so much so that I used hair clippers to get my facial hair at bay. SWMBO would say I only "shaved" if someone was getting married or buried. This appealed to my love of anything old/vintage as well. Originally, I came to the sound of the siren songs of saving money...:tongue_sm However, I have zero regrets and look forward to my shaves.

Although I got a close shave with Fusions, I had serious razor rash all day. Looking for a more comfortable face led me down the DE path.

It's more manly. I'm tired of seeing these 20 and 30 something d bags with 3 day growth trying to be cool. Drenched in axe, skinny jeans and hats on backwards. These kids nowadays are idiots

I got in it because I got tired of running an electric razor over my face neck a half a dozen or more times to somewhat smooth results.

Plus, just like the old style, the skill it takes and there isn't much to throw away like with the cartridges. Mostly enjoy the skill because it gives me a sense of accomplishment rather than just turn on, shave, turn off and go. It's something I did.

Last edited:
Why did I start? Cost. I didn't like shaving, but I didn't realize it was because of the tools I was using.

I'm here because I'm loving the journey. I'm already planning my future acquisitions and learning a little more each day, or at least trying to. I look forward to shaving. I never thought I would say that.

Let me follow that up. I stated cost as my reason, but there's a little more to it. I don't mind spending money if I feel good about spending it. I felt like I was being ripped off. I noticed the cartridges that were being "improved" at regular intervals (like the prescription meds that do the same). I wanted to try something different. I read up on DE wet shaving and that it alleviated razor burn, something I thought I would just live with for the rest of my life. The up front cost was pretty substantial, so I waited for Christmas since I always struggle to find things to put on my wish list, a problem that I fear is a thing of the past.

I like doing things the old way. For me, DE shaving brings back a lot of childhood memories of my dad shaving and a simpler time.

That's really all there was in the fifties that was affordable to a teenager; there might have been a couple of electrics but too expensive. I remember a Sunbeam which was a foil razor driven with an real rotating motor, no buzzer, and there might have been a Norelco twin rotary.

For me, I remember seeing/messing with my grandfather's old razors (he had RAD long before it was cool...Lol) while I was a kid. Fast forward to about three years ago, I ran out of canned goop. Made a trip to Walmart... And saw the VHD basic combo. It wasn't much more expensive than a large can of goop, so I grabbed it up. That was the last of the goop for me. I then saw the ad for the MicroTouch razor on TV...starts doing some research, that ultimately led me here. After reading about all of the DE options, I ordered an Edwin Jagger razor...and haven't looked back.

Last fall WSJ or NYT article about the benefits of DE shaving. I tried it with a basic Merkur HD. I was already a long time cartridge wet shaver. I liked the Merkur and now,am several brushes razors, soaps, creams, blades and $ down the rabbit hole

I could never get a decent shave with canned foams and gels. I stopped in Art of Shaving once about 5 years ago out of curiosity and that began my new hobby/addition. My first shaves with the old cart get razor and AOS system were the best that I had ever experienced. From there I found B&B and wetshaving and the rest is history. Say what you want about AOS products but they really opened my eyes to the possibility of a better shave.

The best shaves I ever got were from the Barber. Barber's (until recently) use Straight Razors. A member on an unrelated sight posted a thread asking what sort of razor he should by to replace his current one, and it got me thinking . . . which got me to come here myself . . . which has me shaving the "right" way again.

Top Bottom