What's new

Brush Restoration PIF

So you guys contributed to my addiction so I'm going to pay you back. This is a bit of a strange PIF, but I think that some of the guys on this subforum will enjoy this one.

The PIF is sort of a contest. I supply the handle and you guys get to restore the brush how you want.

So I have five handles. I'll pick 3 winners at random. First will pick their handle first, Second will pick and Third will pick last. I'll send out your handle and you have one month to finish the brush. Just to make things easy for me, I'll pick the winners on March 26th at noon CDT and the competition will officially begin the first of April (no fooling). I'm going with a month to give people plenty of time to get handles prepped and a knot ordered. I realize this might not be enough time to get one from China, but hey you didn't have to pay for the handle so you can pay a couple of bucks more to get one stateside. Sorry, CONUS only.

The winner get a brush created by you. Second and Third get that too.

Rules for the competition are
1. You do the work.
2. Post some progress picts. I'm not expecting professional picts. Just show us how things are going.
3. Post a final pict. Again, I'm not expecting professional picts, but in focus will help people judge.
4. Let us vote.
$2015-03-21 14.22.22.jpgBrushes from left to right are

1. Red top creamish bottom is an Ever Ready 100
2. Cream top red bottom is an Ever Ready C40
3. Blue top cream bottom House of Fuller - I didn't see any other identification
4. All Cream Century - I didn't see any other identification
5. No identification at all

All of the brushes are restoration grade so they need a bit of TLC. None have cracks that I can see. The two with the knots removed have been drilled out. Not by me and the holes are not very round, but with a bit (meaning not much) they can be made round. I've done a couple of others that I received in this lot and fixed the holes without any problem and with no power equipment. I'm not setting anybody up for failure with these. They are not perfect, but there are no flaws that sandpaper and some time couldn't fix on any of these, including the wooden handled one. No major gouges in it.

If you've never restored a brush before, this is your chance to try. In fact, if you've never done one before state that along with I'm in and enter you twice.

If you want more pictures, let me know.

Good luck and I just might restore one of the left over brushes with the winners.

InNae

Last edited:
I'm in!

I've never done this before.

I do have a Century brush with a handle similar to the one you've shown, but it's two-tone orange and cream. I love it. Unfortunately, I think that the knot was trimmed/shaped, because it's stiff, scritchy/scratchy and the tips haven't split. I've been trying to get them to split and it's not happening. I'm becoming resigned to the idea that it will need to be re-knotted. While it would lose its "heritage knot", I would gain a brush that I absolutely love - assuming I don't screw the pooch in the process!

Although I haven't done this before, I think it's something I'll really enjoy. Thanks for the opportunity.

I am in as well. Just having completed my very first restoration, of a vintage Reine Borste brush, I am desperate to take on another project.

Tim

I'm in!

Just bought a few restored handles that are en route, which will be my first self made brushes.

Would be thrilled to have a chance to restore a handle AND glue in a new knot.

Thanks for the generous PIF!

im in. ive never restored a brish before, but i keep eyeballing them... wondering if ive got it in me... afraid i dont know enough... if i win i guess ill find out!

Cool idea! Not in.

Will be interesting to see what is selected, what knots and sizes are chosen, and the restoration posts as the brushes get done.

Never done a restore before, but I am seriously pondering it, see this post. Anyway, I'd love a chance at one of these handles if I get some help from the experts on which one to pick! Thanks for the chance.

Last edited:
I'm in. This is a very fun and generous PIF. I have re-knotted one other vintage handle but definitely need some more practice. Thanks.

I'm in.
I received a handle that was new, but did not have a knot in I got a not and put it in.
I would really like to refurbish a brush, sounds like it will be fun.

Wow... 13 people with their name in. I'm happy with the interest.

One thing I didn't specify was a cutoff time so I'm going to set the time at noon CDT. I'll add that to the original post but add a note down here so it doesn't get missed. I will try and get them out the next day in the mail if I get everybody's information.

InNae

Yea, I'm in too! This may ruin my April & Spring Restraint, but will be worth it! But maybe I can get the knot ordered early enough before the restraint starts!

Top Bottom